Finn Juhl Low Table
View Similar Items
Finn Juhl Low Table
About the Item
Along with Hans Wegner, Arne Jacobsen and Børge Mogensen, Finn Juhl was one of the great masters of mid-20th-century Danish design. Juhl was the first among that group to have his work promoted overseas, bringing the character of the nation’s furnishings — and the inherent principles of grace, craftsmanship and utility on which they were based — to an international audience. A stylistic maverick, Juhl embraced expressive, free-flowing shapes in chair and sofa designs much earlier than his colleagues, yet even his quietest pieces incorporate supple, curving forms that are at once elegant and ergonomic.
As a young man, Juhl hoped to become an art historian, but his father steered him into a more practical course of study in architecture. He began designing furniture in the late 1930s, a discipline in which, despite his education, Juhl was self-taught, and quite proud of the fact. His earliest works, designed in the late 1930s, are perhaps his most idiosyncratic. The influence of contemporary art is clear in Juhl's 1939 Pelican chair: an almost Surrealist take on the classic wing chair. Critics reviled the piece, however; one said it looked like a "tired walrus." Juhl had tempered his creativity by 1945, when the Danish furniture-making firm Niels Vodder began to issue his designs. Yet his now-classic NV 45 armchair still demonstrates panache, with a seat that floats above the chair’s teak frame.
Juhl first exhibited his work in the United States in 1950, championed by Edgar Kaufmann Jr., an influential design critic and scion of America’s most prominent family of modern architecture and design patrons. (Kaufmann’s father commissioned Frank Lloyd Wright’s design of the house “Fallingwater.”) Juhl quickly won a following for such signature designs as the supremely comfortable Chieftan lounge chair, the biomorphic Baker sofa, and the Judas table, a piece ornamented with stylish inlaid silver plaquettes.
As you will see from the offerings on 1stDibs, Finn Juhl’s furniture — as well as his lighting, ceramics, tableware and accessories — has an air of relaxed sophistication and elegance that is unique in the realm of mid-20th-century design.
- Ice Bucket by Finn Juhl - portaghiaccio - finn Juhl - vintageBy Finn JuhlLocated in Milano, MIIce Bucket by Finn Juhl - portaghiaccio - finn Juhl - vintage Descrizione : portaghiaccio firmato Finn Juhl Origini : Danimarka Periodo di produzione : 1960 Artista : Finn ...Category
Vintage 1960s Danish Center TablesMaterials
- Finn Juhl Butterfly Table Wood and BrassBy Onecollection, Finn JuhlLocated in Barcelona, BarcelonaTable designed by Finn Juhl in 1949, relaunched in 2015. Manufactured by House of Finn Juhl in Denmark. The Butterfly Table, designed by Finn Juhl in 1949, is a very exclusive ta...Category
2010s Danish Modern TablesMaterials
Brass$6,477 Sale Price / item20% Off
- Finn Juhl for Baker Square Walnut Mid-Century Modern Coffee TableBy Baker Furniture Company, Finn JuhlLocated in Rockaway, NJFinn Juhl for Baker Square Walnut Mid-Century Modern coffee table.Category
20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Center TablesMaterials
- Finn Juhl Judas Dining Table for Niels Vodder, Brazilian Rosewood, Silver InlayBy Niels Vodder, Finn JuhlLocated in Kansas City, MOFinn Juhl designed "Judas" dining table made by Niels Vodder and retailed by Illums Bolighus of Copenhagen, Denmark, 1950s. This is one of the most important and rare dining tables o...Category
Vintage 1950s Danish Scandinavian Modern Dining Room TablesMaterials
- Finn Juhl TableBy Finn Juhl, Baker Furniture CompanyLocated in Highland, INThis beautiful table by Danish master Finn Juhl features solid walnut legs and raised lip that surrounds a delta-shaped top of sycamore. Designed during the peak of his creativity, t...Category
Vintage 1950s American Scandinavian Modern Side TablesMaterials
- Italian Square Coffee Table Style Finn Julh Italian DesignBy Finn JuhlLocated in Lyon, FRItalian coffee table from the 60s in the style of designer Finn Julh. Square top in rosewood with bevelled edges, beautiful wood grain on the top. Chromed st...Category
Vintage 1960s Italian Mid-Century Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials