Dining Table by Richard Meier for Knoll, 1982
About the Item
- Dimensions:Height: 28 in (71.12 cm)Width: 80 in (203.2 cm)Depth: 40 in (101.6 cm)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Date of Manufacture:1980s
- Condition:No dents in wood or finish, normal and minimal surface marks, no structural damage.
- Seller Location:Jersey City, NJ
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU807313546992
As a company that produced many of the most famous and iconic furniture designs of the 20th century, Knoll was a chief influence in the rise of modern design in the United States. Led by Florence Knoll, the firm would draw stellar talents such as Ludwig Mies van der Rohe and Eero Saarinen into its compass. Their work would help change the face of the American home and office.
The company was formed in 1938 by the German immigrant Hans Knoll. He first worked with his fellow ex-pat, the Danish designer Jens Risom, who created furniture with flowing lines made of wood. While Risom served in World War II, in 1943 Knoll met his future wife, Florence Schust. She had studied and worked with eminent emigré leaders of the Bauhaus, including Mies, Walter Gropius and Marcel Breuer. She won Knoll over with Bauhaus notions of industrial arts, and an aesthetic that featured flat and tubular metal frames and angular forms. When Hans died in a car crash in 1955, Florence Knoll was appointed head of the company. It was as much through her holistic approach to design — a core division of the firm was dedicated to planning office systems — as Knoll's mid-century modern furnishings themselves that she brought about the sleek and efficient transformation of the American workplace.
Today, classic Knoll furnishings remain staples of modern design collections and decor. A history of modern design is written in pieces such as the elegant Barcelona chair — created by Mies and Lilly Reich — Saarinen’s pedestal Tulip chair, Breuer’s tubular steel Wassily lounge chair and the grid-patterned Diamond chair by Harry Bertoia.
As you can see from the collection of these designs and other vintage Knoll dining chairs, sofas and tables on 1stDibs, this manufacturer's offerings have become timeless emblems of the progressive spirit and sleek sophistication of the best of modernism.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Jersey City, NJ
- Return PolicyThis item cannot be returned.
- Round Dining Table by Warren Platner for Knoll International, USA, 1960sBy Knoll, Warren PlatnerLocated in Jersey City, NJRound Warren Platner dining height table has a bullnose edge in ebonized oak encompassing the white marble top, both supported on the three-legged chromed metal base. Overall, a very...Category
Vintage 1960s Dining Room TablesMaterials
- Original Komed Dining Table by Marc Newson for Canteen Restaurant NYC/ItalyBy Marc NewsonLocated in Jersey City, NJOriginal, round Komed dining table designed by Marc Newson and made for the restaurant 'Canteen' of New York City that opened in 1999. The table comprises a rounded edged top of thic...Category
1990s Dining Room TablesMaterials
- Dining or Center Table Attributed to Darrell Landrum for Avard, USA, 1950sBy Darrell LandrumLocated in Jersey City, NJBlack enameled tubular steel dining height table attributed to Darrell Landrum for Avard with an inset slate top. Height listed measures to the top of the slate.Category
Vintage 1950s Dining Room TablesMaterials
- Dining Table designed by Dominique circa 1940 Design, Made in FranceBy DominiqueLocated in Jersey City, NJA oval dining table in palissandre with a gilt inlay on the top and the legs; sabots all in bronze. There are two additional leaves that match the wood graining and inlay in a contin...Category
Vintage 1940s French Mid-Century Modern Dining Room TablesMaterials
- T92 Folding Table by Eugenio Gerli and Mario Cristiani for Tecno, Italy 1960By TecnoLocated in Jersey City, NJ*SUMMER SALE* T92 table in original off-white lacquer with a fantastic patina, was designed in 1960 by Eugenio Gerli and Mario Crisitiani and was awarded as a winning design in 1970....Category
Vintage 1960s Italian Dining Room TablesMaterials
- Round Dining / Center Table in Brushed Steel, NYC Circa 2005Located in Jersey City, NJRound dining or center table of strong quality in brushed stainless steel with a 3 1/8" apron and four angled, slightly tapered legs. Very clean lines and edges throughout.Category
21st Century and Contemporary Dining Room TablesMaterials
- Richard Meier Dining Table for KnollBy Knoll, Richard MeierLocated in Houston, TXRichard Meier Dining table Knoll USA, 1982 Maple Measures: 27.5 H × 96 W × 60 W in Large dining table. In original condition. Table and ten chairs are separate listings.Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern TablesMaterials
- Large Richard Meier Dining Set for KnollBy Knoll, Richard MeierLocated in Houston, TXRichard Meier Dining Set Dining table, armchairs, 10 chairs Knoll USA, 1982 Maple Measures: 27.5 H × 96 W × 60 W in table Measures: 26.5 H × 20.5 W × 20 D in. Large dining set...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room SetsMaterials
- Richard Meier Cocktail Table for KnollBy Knoll, Richard MeierLocated in Chicago, ILRare 860T cocktail table for Knoll International. Limited production. Made from lacquered maple wood. Rounded corners and a slatted X-base. Designers initials engraved on underside.Category
Vintage 1980s American Post-Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- 'Petal' Dining Table by Richard Schultz for KnollBy Knoll, Richard SchultzLocated in Sagaponack, NYA Mid-Century Modern 'petal' dining table designed by Richard Shultz. This table features a flower-like pine top on a white enameled eight-point cast iron pedestal base. Manufactured...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room TablesMaterials
- Redwood Petal Dining Table By Richard Schultz For KnollBy Knoll, Richard SchultzLocated in Brooklyn, NYIconic, Mid-Century Modern, "Petal" dining table by Richard Schultz for Knoll features a redwood top with eight petal sections on a white enameled, cast iron, eight point star base. ...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room TablesMaterials
- 1960s Dining Table by Richard Schultz For Knoll International Vintage RedwoodBy Knoll, Richard SchultzLocated in Philadelphia, PAListed for sale is an exceptionally rare vintage petal dining table, produced by Knoll and Designed by Richard Schultz. This table has a fabulous patina ...Category
Vintage 1960s American Modern Dining Room TablesMaterials