Vintage Charles Eames LTR Table Herman Miller
About the Item
- Creator:Charles Eames (Designer)
- Dimensions:Height: 10 in (25.4 cm)Width: 15.5 in (39.37 cm)Depth: 13.5 in (34.29 cm)
- Style:Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:Birch,Zinc
- Place of Origin:United States
- Date of Manufacture:1950s
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. good vintage condition, top has a nice patina, some scratches and minor stains/wear.
- Seller Location:St.Petersburg, FL
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU802933660412
The legacy of Charles Eames looms large in design. In partnership with his wife, Ray, Charles was at the forefront of pioneering innovation in the use of molded plywood for furniture making. The Eameses’ cheerful and inviting work has endured among the most important advancements in the history of 20th-century design.
Together, visionary mid-century modern duo Charles and Ray Eames introduced a wide range of renowned furniture to the postwar market, including iconic designs such as the Eames lounge chair and ottoman, the wildly colorful birch plywood-and-plastic-laminate Eames storage unit, the Eames compact sofa and more. The designers were trailblazers in molded plywood furniture and brought lively organic form to metal and plastic.
Charles Eames studied architecture at Washington University in St. Louis. He traveled to Mexico and Europe, and experienced firsthand the work of designer-architects Le Corbusier and Ludwig Mies van der Rohe. In 1930, upon returning to Missouri, Eames opened an architecture practice with Charles M. Gray but later moved to Michigan in 1938. He received a fellowship at Cranbrook Academy of Art, which would become a breeding ground for the stars of mid-century design. Eames continued his architecture studies at Cranbrook and also taught in the design department.
In 1940, Eames met his future wife, artist and designer Beatrice Alexandra "Ray" Kaiser, who was studying at Cranbrook under Abstract Expressionist painter Hans Hofmann. Charles teamed up with another Cranbrook instructor, Finnish-American designer Eero Saarinen, to explore the possibilities of plywood for use in furniture design.
With support from Ray, Charles and Eero created chairs and case pieces and submitted them to the “Organic Design in Home Furnishings” competition at the Museum of Modern Art in New York City — among them was the groundbreaking organic Side chair made of molded plywood with maple legs. It was upholstered by Heywood-Wakefield. This exhibition is considered critical by many to the popularization of what is known as mid-century modernism. Eames and Saarinen won first place for their submissions to the competition.
Charles and Ray were married in 1941 and soon after moved to Los Angeles, California, and lived in an apartment building designed by architect Richard Neutra. Charles worked on set design at MGM, and at night, in a humble workshop they established in the guest bedroom, he and Ray experimented with molded plywood on a homemade device they called the “Kazaam!” machine. In 1942, the couple won a U.S. Navy contract to create molded plywood leg splints that would be used to support wartime medical efforts. Soon, the Evans Product Company was making the splints and the Eameses opened the famed Eames Office and studio.
The Eameses’ innovative use of wire framing, molded plywood and applied fabrics caught the attention of many notable figures in interior design and architecture, including George Nelson, director of design at Herman Miller, a now-legendary modern furniture manufacturer. The company enlisted the Eameses’ talents and was eventually home to the couple’s classic pieces such as the Eames DCW chair and the DCM chair.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: St.Petersburg, FL
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
- Vintage Charles Eames LTR Table Herman MillerBy Charles EamesLocated in St.Petersburg, FLA fine Charles Eames, LTR table. Birch veneer, zinc base, all original-unrestored. Signed with a medallion label underneath.Category
Vintage 1950s American Modern TablesMaterials
- Evans Herman Miller LCW by Charles EamesBy Charles EamesLocated in St.Petersburg, FLAn excellent example of Charles Eames Herman Miller/Evans 1940's LCW (lounge chair wood). All original with original shock mounts, screws and label intact.Category
Vintage 1940s American Mid-Century Modern ChairsMaterials
- Charles Eames Classic RAR Rocking Chair Herman Miller GreigeBy Charles EamesLocated in St.Petersburg, FLA Classic Charles Eames RAR greige rocking chair with original birch runners. A survivor in very good original condition.Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern ChairsMaterials
- Charles Eames Herman Miller Lounge Chair and Ottoman, 1960'sBy Charles EamesLocated in St.Petersburg, FLBeautiful Charles Eames, Herman Miller lounger chair and ottoman, 1960's. Classic black leather and rosewood with excellent graining. The chair has a well worn feel with cat scratches...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern ArmchairsMaterials
- Alexander Girard Occasional Table for Herman MillerBy Alexander GirardLocated in St.Petersburg, FLA rare marble top table by Alexander Girard for Herman Miller, circa 1960s.Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern Side TablesMaterials
- Early George Nelson Herman Miller Occasional TableBy George NelsonLocated in St.Petersburg, FLAn early side table by George Nelson for Herman Miller with a steel four prong base. This design was made for a short period in the 1950's. This table has patina and character. Meas...Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern Side TablesMaterials
- Eames for Herman Miller LTR Side Tables, PairBy Herman MillerLocated in New York, NYEames for Herman Miller pair of Modern LTR side tables with black tops, marked on bottom. Dimensions: 10" H x 15.5" W x 13.25" D. Dealer: S138XXCategory
21st Century and Contemporary Modern Side TablesMaterials
- Eames for Herman Miller LTR Side Tables, PairLocated in New York, NYEames for Herman Miller pair of Modern LTR side tables with white tops, marked on bottom. Dimensions: 10" H x 15.5" W x 13.25" D. Dealer: S138XX.Category
Mid-20th Century Modern Side TablesMaterials
- Side table by Charles Eames for Herman Miller 50sBy Herman Miller, Charles EamesLocated in PARIS, FRSide table by Charles Eames for Herman Miller. This model was designed in the 50s for the American firm. The relationship between Charles Eames and Herman Miller was an emblematic co...Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern Side TablesMaterials
- Charles and Ray Eames CTW 'Coffee Table Wood' for Herman MillerBy Herman Miller, Charles EamesLocated in Saint Louis, MOEames for Herman Miller Coffee Table ("CTW"). Iconic Mid-Century Modern designer coffee table bearing "Eames Herman Miller" label. Excellent figuring in the birch wood grain. Bentwoo...Category
Early 2000s American Mid-Century Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- George Nelson Herman Miller Early Vintage Swag Leg Occasional TableBy George Nelson, Herman MillerLocated in Chicago, ILBeautiful example of this iconic design in nice vintage condition. A nice early Herman Miller label still attached to underside. nice vintage condition.Category
20th Century American Mid-Century Modern TablesMaterials
- Charles and Ray Eames for Herman Miller Mid Century Dining TableBy Charles and Ray Eames, Herman MillerLocated in Countryside, ILCharles and Ray Eames for Herman Miller mid century dining table The table measures: 53 wide x 53 deep x 29 high, with a chair clearance of 27 inches All pieces of furniture ca...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room TablesMaterials
Recently ViewedView All
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery