Walter Lamb Table
View Similar Items
- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Walter Lamb Table
- CreatorWalter Lamb (Designer)
- DimensionsHeight: 29 in (73.66 cm)Width: 49.5 in (125.73 cm)Depth: 36 in (91.44 cm)
- Materials and TechniquesBronze,Wood
- Place of OriginUnited States
- Date of Manufacture1950's
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use. Minor fading.
- Seller LocationLos Angeles, CA
- Reference NumberSeller: F10-1671stDibs: 14061179482246
About the Designer
Forward-looking architect Walter Lamb is best known for his revolutionary and widely loved patio furniture — he salvaged metal tubing from sunken ships in Pearl Harbor in the 1940s to create alluring chaise longues and other pieces for the backyard. His vintage furniture designs have been adorning patios worldwide for almost a century.
Trained as an architect at the University of California Berkeley campus, Lamb found himself in Hawaii during the 1940s. This period was a time of growth for furniture designers and manufacturers, as veterans were returning to the United States, getting married and starting families. These folks needed practical furniture for their new homes, and as the movement we now call mid-century modern took shape, imaginative architects and furniture makers would fill that need. Lamb was one such innovator.
Lamb worked the shaped tubing and fittings he’d gathered from battleship wreckage into proper frames and wrapped the structures in marine-grade cotton cording to create comfortable, element-proof outdoor furniture. Today his patio furniture has an esteemed place in the history of design. In fact, furniture enthusiasts are eager to restore and collect his iconic aged furniture rather than purchase reproductions.
Postwar California would become reputable as a manufacturing center for versatile furniture intended for both indoor and outdoor spaces. Seating, tables and other items — often made with rattan — produced by the likes of McGuire and Brown Jordan became a defining feature of organic modern living, a style that still characterizes many California interiors and influences innumerable design firms. Pasadena’s then-new Brown Jordan picked up Lamb’s designs, which eventually included dining tables, side tables and coffee and cocktail tables. And along with these furnishings, Lamb's sculptural vintage seating — his curvaceous lounge chairs and armchairs with cotton cord seats — while perfect for your fire pit, shouldn’t be relegated to outdoors-only settings.
Lamb received much acclaim for his work. The Museum of Modern Art in New York recognized his 1940s-era outdoor furniture for Brown Jordan with a design award.
On 1stDibs, find a noteworthy collection of vintage Walter Lamb furniture.
- Walter Lamb Side TableBy Walter LambLocated in Los Angeles, CAWalter Lamb side table with glass inset top, mid-20th century.Category
Early 20th Century American Side TablesMaterials
BronzePrice Upon Request
- Poul Kjærholm PK 66 TableBy Poul KjærholmLocated in Los Angeles, CAPoul Kjærholm PK 66 coffee table in maple.Category
Vintage 1970s Danish Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Robert Whitley Leopard Figure TableBy Robert WhitleyLocated in Los Angeles, CAA walnut, rosewood, ebony and metal table by Robert Whitley (American, b. 1925), top supported by leopard figure.Category
Late 20th Century American Console TablesMaterials
MetalPrice Upon Request
- Driade Enzo Autoprogettato Tavolo Smoutabile TableBy Enzo AutoprogettatoLocated in Los Angeles, CADriade 1976 Enzo Autoprogettato Tavolo Smoutabile in LagnoCategory
Vintage 1970s Italian TablesPrice Upon Request
- Pair of Rei Kawakubo "Grey Triangle" TablesBy Rei KawakuboLocated in Los Angeles, CAPair of Rei Kawakubo "Grey Triangle" Tables manufactured by Pallucco for Comme des GarconsCategory
Late 20th Century Italian TablesMaterials
Granite, IronPrice Upon Request
- Walter Lamb Hawaiian Cafe Tables, circa 1945By Walter LambLocated in Camden, MEEarly example of Walter Lamb manufactured in Hawaii prior to Walter moving back to California in 1947. Koa wood top on a thin tube base from the cafe of a Miami Marina. This table ...Category
Vintage 1940s American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room TablesMaterials
- Original Vintage Walter Lamb Large Round Coffee TableBy Walter LambLocated in Chicago, ILWalter lamb large round coffee table. Original textured Glass. 2 chips as noted in photos.Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Walter Lamb Early Model Bronze Patio Dining SetBy Brown Jordan, Walter LambLocated in Los Angeles, CADining set consisting of six chairs and rectangular wood top table by Walter Lamb dating from the late 40s or early 50s, either predating or from the early years of his work with Bro...Category
Vintage 1940s American Mid-Century Modern Patio and Garden FurnitureMaterials
Bronze$45,000 / set
- Midcentury Walter of Abash Walnut Dining TableLocated in Brooklyn, NYThis midcentury dining table is simplistic in design, but still quite elegant. It features a deep color with beautiful grain patterns. The legs feature subtle chrome accents with wal...Category
Mid-20th Century Mid-Century Modern Dining Room TablesMaterials
Chrome$1,520 Sale Price20% Off
- Bronze Patio Dining Table with Square Wooden Top by Walter Lamb for Brown JordanBy Brown Jordan, Walter LambLocated in Los Angeles, CAA model WT-2701 square patio table designed by Walter Lamb and manufactured by Brown Jordan. The table has a slatted surface in the original weathered wood, mounted on a bronze base....Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Patio and Garden FurnitureMaterials
- Super Elegant Dining Table, Black Metal Hairpin Legs and Glass Top, circa 1960By Arnold Bueno de Mesquita, Walter LambLocated in IJMuiden, NLPlease ask Casey Godrie Ibiza/Amsterdam for a competitive shipping quote. Super elegant black metal rectangle table. Beautiful designed base with hairpin legs and a glass top gettin...Category
Vintage 1960s Unknown Mid-Century Modern Dining Room TablesMaterials
Metal$3,039 Sale Price17% Off
Recently ViewedView More
JF Chen Moves Stools Out of the Corner and into the Spotlight
In Los Angeles, dealer Joel Chen gives the often clever and always versatile seats some long-overdue attention.
In L.A., Gallerist JF Chen Has Long Championed Eclectic Blue-Chip Design
Now working alongside his daughter Bianca, dealer Joel Chen has presented a most covetable array of antiques, art and contemporary creations for more than 40 years.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery