- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Van Cleef & Arpels Cosmos Earrings in 18k White Gold & Diamonds, Small Model
About the Item
- Stone Cut:
- Dimensions:Width: 0.7 in (17.78 mm)
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:2013
- Seller Location:New York, NY
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU3303219322702
Van Cleef & Arpels
One of the world’s foremost jewelry houses, Van Cleef & Arpels is particularly noted for a focus on technical virtuosity, craftsmanship and artistry, evident since its beginning. Rather than create earrings, bracelets, necklaces and other adornments primarily for the aim of displaying of wealth and opulence, Van Cleef & Arpels sought to produce jewelry that projected the wearer’s taste and style.
The company was formed a year after the 1895 marriage of Alfred Van Cleef, the son of a gem cutter, to Estelle Arpels, daughter of precious-stones dealer Salomon Arpel. Ten years later, Van Cleef & Arpels opened its first boutique on the Place Vendôme in Paris, setting the march on a square now crowded with dealers in bijouterie. (The company still occupies the New York flagship store opened in 1939 at Fifth Avenue and 57th Street.)
Born from a union of expertise in both jewelry making and gem selection, the Van Cleef & Arpels distinguished itself with both the consistency of the color and clarity of its stones and the creativity of its designs. In doing so, the house would win a roster of dedicated, fashion-conscious clients that included the Duchess of Windsor, Marlene Dietrich, Barbara Hutton, Jacqueline Onassis and Elizabeth Taylor. In 1933, Van Cleef & Arpels patented its trademark Mystery Setting — a technique by which gems are fitted into an intricate matrix of slots and “drawers” that keep the setting hidden. Another signal innovation was the Zip necklace, introduced in 1951, which can be worn either around the neck or, with the zipper closed, as a bracelet.
But as much as to the firm’s craftsmanship, clients have been drawn by the insouciance and playfulness of Van Cleef & Arpels designers, as well as their attunement to the cultural climate. After the discovery of Tutankhamun’s tomb in 1922, the company produced several lavish pieces featuring hieroglyphics and other Egyptian motifs to go along with the geometric Art Deco jewelry of that decade and the next. Following World War II, as symbols of freedom and rebirth, the firm focused on naturalistic forms such as birds, flowers, fruit and flying insects. High society’s 1960s fascination with the Near East and India prompted such pieces as the best-selling Alhambra necklace, popularized by Princess Grace.
Lately, attention among collectors and connoisseurs has centered on Van Cleef & Arpels’s quality of workmanship as much as its glamour. The firm was the subject of a 2012 show at the Cooper-Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum, as well as exhibitions at the Bowers Museum in Santa Ana, California, in 2013 and at the Musée des Arts Décoratifs in Paris in 2014.
Find an exquisite collection of Van Cleef & Arpels jewelry on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: New York, NY
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- Vintage French 18k Yellow Gold, Diamond, and Onyx Butterfly Pendant NecklaceLocated in New York, NYBeautiful French made 18k gold, onyx, and diamond butterfly pendant necklace. Textured gold outlining the onyx wings. Unsigned, French eagle mark at clasp. Pendant 1-inch diameter...Category
Late 20th Century European Pendant NecklacesMaterials
Diamond, Onyx, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold$2,850Free Shipping
- Van Cleef & Arpels Cosmos Diamond 18k Yellow Gold Medium Earrings BoxBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in New York, NYThese rare Van Cleef & Arpels 4-petal flower earrings from the gorgeous Cosmos collection feature a flower design crafted in 18k yellow gold and set with round brilliant D-E-F VVS1-V...Category
1990s Lever-Back EarringsMaterials
Diamond, Yellow Gold$38,000Free Shipping
- Van Cleef & Arpels Frivole Diamond Earrings in 18k Yellow Gold, SmallBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in Miami, FLDesigner: Van Cleef & Arpels Collection: Frivole Type: Earrings Metal: Yellow Gold Metal Purity: 18k Stone: 86 stones - 1.61 carat weight Clasp: Clip back with detachable stem ...Category
2010s French Modern Lever-Back EarringsMaterials
Diamond, Yellow Gold$15,300Free Shipping
- Van Cleef & Arpels Swirl Earrings in 18K GoldBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in Houston, TXVan Cleef & Arpels earrings in 18K yellow gold with a swirl pattern. These are for pierced ears with a lever back. Measure 1 inch long and 3/4 inches wide. Serial No. NY3K750-10.Category
Late 20th Century French Lever-Back EarringsMaterials
18k Gold$9,800Free Shipping
- Van Cleef & Arpels Cosmos Diamond Emerald 18k Yellow Gold Small EarringsBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in New York, NYThese rare Van Cleef & Arpels clip-on earrings from the gorgeous Cosmos collection feature a flower design crafted in 18k yellow gold, prong-set with emeralds in the center, and surr...Category
Vintage 1980s French Clip-on EarringsMaterials
Diamond, Emerald, Yellow Gold$19,900Free Shipping
- Van Cleef & Arpels Diamond Huggie Earrings 18k Yellow GoldBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in MIAMI, FLElegant pair of earrings crafted in 18k yellow gold. This decadent pair of earrings is crafted by famed jewelry house Van Cleef & Arpels. Details are endless as the front half of the...Category
Vintage 1980s American Contemporary More EarringsMaterials
Diamond, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold$7,500Free Shipping
- Van Cleef & Arpels 18k Yellow Gold Domed EarringsBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in New York, NYThese gorgeous vintage Van Cleef & Arpels earrings feature a domed shape crafted in 18k yellow gold. Made in France circa 1990s. Measurements: 0.47" (12mm) width, 0.86" (22mm) length.Category
1990s Lever-Back EarringsMaterials
Yellow Gold$6,500Free Shipping
Recently ViewedView More
Gems by David Webb, Cartier and Van Cleef & Arpels Anchor The Back Vault’s Treasure Trove
Boasting one of the largest collections of David Webb in the world, the firm offers exceptional jewels — always in demand yet never in short supply.
This Turquoise Van Cleef & Arpels Alhambra Necklace Is a Rare and Alluring Find
You know the French maison’s famous motif well. But why is this particular piece so in demand?
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery