Chanel Jeweled Snake Necklace
View Similar Items
Chanel Jeweled Snake Necklace
About the Designer
In the years following the opening of her modest millinery shop, Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel became a pivotal designer of both fashionable casual wear and Paris haute couture as well as an icon and arbiter of 20th-century style with her bob haircut and pearls. Today vintage Chanel handbags, jackets and evening dresses are among the most sought-after clothing and accessories for fashion lovers all over the world.
The first Chanel shop was established in 1910 in Paris on rue Cambon by the young milliner Gabrielle Chanel (1883–1971), who had picked up the nickname “Coco” while working as a club singer. The boutique drew the attention of the Parisian fashion elite who popularized her wide-brimmed Chanel Modes hats. Soon she added a sportswear store in the Normandy resort town of Deauville, where Coco set the tone for her defining sense of style — traditionally masculine garments reimagined for feminine shapes, made from simple jersey fabric.
Effortless and elegant, Chanel's designs promoted comfort and grace in women’s wear that had been dominated in the previous century by complicated layers of fabric and cumbersome corsets. She followed this success with a couture house, opened in 1915 in Biarritz.
But Chanel was not born into a life of glamour. Following the death of her mother, her father left her in an orphanage where she lived until the age of 18. It was there that she learned to sew as well as appreciate the classic pairing of black and white as worn by the nuns. In 1926, she introduced her first little black dress, reclaiming a color that had once been reserved for mourning and working-class women. That same decade, she debuted her perfume, Chanel No. 5, as well as the Chanel suit with a fitted skirt, inspired by the boxy lines of men’s clothing and employing a sporty tweed.
Chanel closed her fashion operations during World War II, then returned to the industry in 1954 to design for the functional needs of modern women. Structure and wearability endured in all of Chanel’s clothing and accessories, like the quilted leather 2.55 handbag introduced in 1955 with its gold-chain shoulder strap that freed up a woman’s hands. Chanel's collarless jacket reacted against the constricting styles of Christian Dior's New Look, replacing them with a design that was timeless, an instant classic. The 1957 two-tone slingback pumps had a practical heel height while offering a bold statement in the black tip of the shoes.
After Coco Chanel died in 1971, the brand underwent several changes in leadership, including fashion designer Karl Lagerfeld, who took over as artistic director in 1983. Over the years, the company has continued to innovate, such as expanding into ready-to-wear fashion in 1978 and, in 2002, establishing a subsidiary company — Paraffection — dedicated to preserving the heritage skills of fashion artisan workshops. The House of Chanel still operates its flagship on rue Cambon in Paris, where it all began.
Browse vintage Chanel bags, evening dresses, shoes, jewelry and other clothing and accessories on 1stDibs.
- Yves Saint Laurent Pre Columbian Gold Metal Mask Pensant NecklaceBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Los Angeles, CAVintage Yves Saint Laurent gold tone metal necklace featuring a large gold tone hammered metal mask pendant mirroring traditional Peruvian burial masks that hangs from a heavy gold t...Category
Vintage 1980s French Artisan Drop Necklaces
- Yves Saint Laurent Twine Beaded NecklaceBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Los Angeles, CAVintage Yves Saint Laurent twine necklace featuring bronze colored coin beads and resin beads. Please inquire for additional images.Category
Late 20th Century French Rope Necklaces
- Richard Minadeo Lava Blue Cameo Shield NecklaceBy Richard MinadeoLocated in Los Angeles, CARichard Minadeo necklace featuring multicolor lava portrait cameos, gold owl cameo, and vintage beads. Handmade, one-of-a-kind piece set in gold resin. Fam...Category
2010s American Pendant Necklaces
- Vintage Yves Saint Laurent Goossens Sun King Cuff 1990By Robert Goossens for Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Los Angeles, CAResurrection Vintage is pleased to offer a vintage Yves Saint Laurent by Robert Goossens iconic large gold-tone multidimensional brass "Sun King" cuff. Circa, 1990. Yves Saint Laur...Category
1990s Cuff Bracelets
- Richard Minadeo Blue Three Tier Cameo EarringsBy Richard MinadeoLocated in Los Angeles, CAHandmade one-of-a-kind Richard Minadeo blue enamel and cameo drop clip earrings that feature vintage black and blue cameo charms set in gold resin with studs. We are pleased to announce Resurrected: Richard Minadeo and the art of Memento Mori: 1980’s and Today. Famous in the ’80s for his handmade, one of a kind, and extremely personal jewelry and mementos, Richard Minadeo, is most known for his collaborations with artists like Madonna; creating iconic pieces for her Like A Virgin and Like A Prayer...Category
2010s American Drop Earrings
- Richard Minadeo Three Tier Green, Onyx, & Crystal Deco EarringsBy Richard MinadeoLocated in Los Angeles, CARichard Minadeo emerald green, black onyx, and jade-colored Art Deco-inspired statement earrings featuring clear rhinestone diamond shape insets, jade drops, and clip backs set in gold resin with studs. We are pleased to announce Resurrected: Richard Minadeo and the art of Memento Mori: 1980’s and Today. Famous in the ’80s for his handmade, one of a kind, and extremely personal jewelry and mementos, Richard Minadeo, is most known for his collaborations with artists like Madonna; creating iconic pieces for her Like A Virgin and Like A Prayer...Category
2010s American Clip-on Earrings
- Graduated Diamond Eternity Necklace, 28.77 CaratsLocated in Palm Desert, CA18 Karat White Gold Diamond Eternity Necklace, 28.77ctw. An exquisite necklace with ninety radiant round prong-set diamonds, graduate diamond...Category
1990s American Contemporary Link NecklacesMaterials
Diamond, White Gold, 18k Gold, Gold
- Van Cleef & Arpels Vintage 1970s Eight Lion Head Link Diamond Gold NecklaceBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in New York, NYCreated during the 1970s when the French jeweler made a series of lion pieces. An iconic Van Cleef & Arpels design made iconic by Elizabeth Taylor and Nancy Reagan...Category
Vintage 1970s American Modern Link NecklacesMaterials
Diamond, 18k Gold
- Van Cleef & Arpels Five-Row Diamond Link NecklaceBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in New York, NYAn exceptional and highly flexible necklace by Van Cleef & Arpels that dates back to the 1990s, designed as five rows of graduated round-cut diamonds of exceptional brilliance, exqui...Category
1990s French Link NecklacesMaterials
Diamond, 18k Gold
- Bulgari Vintage 1970s Original Eight Roman Coin Link NecklaceBy BvlgariLocated in New York, NYBulgari Vintage 1970s Original Eight Roman Coin Link Necklace An 18k yellow gold link necklace, set with eight pieces of old Roman coin, signed Bulgari. total length is approx. 37″; ...Category
Vintage 1970s Italian Modern Link NecklacesMaterials
- Bvlgari Rome Vintage Ancient Greek Coin Full Diamond Set Gold Curb Link NecklaceBy BvlgariLocated in New York, NYUnique Bvlgari Rome Vintage Ancient Greek Coin Full Diamond Set Gold Curb Link Necklace From Our Signed Jewels Vintage Collection. Bulgari Rome set the tr...Category
Vintage 1980s Italian Modern Link NecklacesMaterials
Diamond, Gold, 18k Gold
- Van Cleef & Arpels Diamond Yellow Sapphire Necklace SuiteBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in New York, NYAn impeccable trio by Van Cleef & Arpels, this 1980's set is comprised of a necklace, earrings, and ring, all of which are finely set with an opulence of brilliant-cut diamonds and r...Category
Vintage 1980s French Link NecklacesMaterials
Diamond, Sapphire, 18k Gold
Recently ViewedView More
With a Wink, Karl Lagerfeld Sent This Egg-Carton-Shaped Chanel Bag Down the Runway
For the brand’s 2014–15 ready-to-wear show in Paris, the designer was inspired by a most unexpected place: the supermarket.
This Vintage Chanel Fur Muff Is Après-Ski Chic
It might not be as practical as a pair of mittens, but for something that looks this good, practicality really doesn't matter.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery