- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Tiffany & Co. Elegant Gold Pill Box
About the Item
- Dimensions:Height: 0.33 in (8.39 mm)Width: 1.5 in (38.1 mm)Length: 1.13 in (28.71 mm)
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1930
- Seller Location:New York, NY
- Reference Number:Seller: AK-24261stDibs: LU992748803
Tiffany & Co.
Tiffany & Co. is one of the most prominent purveyors of luxury goods in the United States, and has long been an important arbiter of style in the design of diamond engagement rings. A young Franklin Delano Roosevelt proposed to his future wife, Eleanor, with a Tiffany ring in 1904. Vanderbilts, Whitneys, Astors and members of the Russian imperial family all wore Tiffany & Co. jewels. And Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis preferred Tiffany china for state dinners at the White House.
Although synonymous with luxury today, the firm started out rather modestly. Charles Lewis Tiffany and John B. Young founded it in Connecticut as a “stationery and fancy goods emporium” in 1837, at a time when European imports still dominated the nascent American luxury market. In 1853, Charles Tiffany — who in 1845 had launched the company’s famed catalog, the Blue Book, and with it, the firm’s signature robin’s-egg blue, which he chose for the cover — shifted the focus to fine jewelry. In 1868, Tiffany & Co. gained international recognition when it became the first U.S. firm to win an award for excellence in silverware at the Exposition Universelle in Paris. From then on, it belonged to the pantheon of American luxury brands.
At the start of the Gilded Age, in 1870, Tiffany & Co. opened its flagship store, described as a "palace of jewels" by the New York Times, at 15 Union Square West in Manhattan. Throughout this period, its designs for silver tableware, ceremonial silver, flatware and jewelry were highly sought-after indicators of status and taste. They also won the firm numerous accolades, including the grand prize for silverware at the Paris Exposition of 1878. Among the firm’s glittering creations from this time are masterworks of Art Nouveau jewelry, such as this delicate aquamarine necklace and this lavish plique-à-jour peridot and gold necklace, both circa 1900.
When Charles Lewis Tiffany died, in 1902, his son Louis Comfort Tiffany became the firm’s design director. Under his leadership, the Tiffany silver studio was a de facto design school for apprentice silversmiths, who worked alongside head artisan Edward C. Moore. The firm produced distinctive objects inspired by Japanese art and design, North American plants and flowers, and Native American patterns and crafts, adding aesthetic diversity to Tiffany & Co.’s distinguished repertoire.
Tiffany is also closely associated with diamonds, even lending its name to one particularly rare and exceptional yellow stone. The firm bought the Tiffany diamond in its raw state from the Kimberley mines of South Africa in 1878. Cut to create a 128.54-carat gem with an unprecedented 82 facets, it is one of the most spectacular examples of a yellow diamond in the world. In a broader sense, Tiffany & Co. helped put diamonds on the map in 1886 by introducing the American marketplace to the solitaire diamond design, which is still among the most popular engagement-ring styles. The trademark Tiffany® Setting raises the stone above the band on six prongs, allowing its facets to catch the light. A lovely recent example is this circa-2000 platinum engagement ring. Displaying a different design and aesthetic (but equally chic) is this exquisite diamond and ruby ring from the 1930s.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: New York, NY
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- Gold Pill BoxLocated in New York, NYSolid and very handsome hinged pill box. Heavy gauge 18K yellow gold, slightly flexible. Textured basketweave background, with shiny gold chevron pattern. ...Category
Vintage 1930s Unknown Boxes and CasesMaterials
18k Gold$4,200Free Shipping
- Enamel Gold Pill BoxLocated in New York, NYMost handsome hinged pill box. Rich 18K yellow gold, with three applied green and red enamel stripes. Cabochon sapphire closure. 1 1/8" x 1 1/4." Solid. Looks and feels like fin...Category
Vintage 1930s American Boxes and CasesMaterials
Sapphire, 18k Gold$3,800Free Shipping
- Antique Bejeweled Gold Pill BoxLocated in New York, NYLovely and special antique hinged pill box. 14K gold, set with rose diamonds and a faceted ruby. Graceful oval shape, with fluted body and applied rope border. 1 1/4" x 1" x 1/2."...Category
Antique Early 1900s American Boxes and CasesMaterials
Diamond, Ruby, 14k Gold$4,200Free Shipping
- Tiffany & Co. Sterling Silver and Gold BoxBy Tiffany & Co.Located in New York, NYSterling silver hinged compact box. Made and signed by TIFFANY & CO. 14K rose gold applique, set with three faceted rubies. Very attractive rayed line design. 2 7/8" x 2 1/3." Ma...Category
Vintage 1940s American Boxes and CasesMaterials
Ruby, Gold, Sterling Silver$2,200Free Shipping
- Exceptional Gold Double Pill BoxLocated in New York, NYOutstanding pill box with a gold divider to help separate pills. Extra heavy gauge 18K yellow gold. Cabochon sapphire closure. Top and bottom have an e...Category
Vintage 1930s Italian Boxes and CasesMaterials
Sapphire, 18k Gold$4,800Free Shipping
- Antique Gold Match Safe/Pill BoxLocated in New York, NYBeautifully textured hinged match safe. Heavy gauge 14K yellow gold. Allover nailhead pattern. 2 1/3" x 1." Softly rounded oval shape. Would make a pe...Category
Antique Early 1900s American Boxes and CasesMaterials
14k Gold$4,400Free Shipping
- Vintage Tiffany & Co. Sterling Silver Figural Book Form Pill BoxBy Tiffany & Co.Located in Philadelphia, PAA fine vintage sterling silver pill box. By Tiffany & Co. In sterling silver. In the form of a book. Engraved with a whimsical "Tu...Category
20th Century Retro Boxes and CasesMaterials
Sterling Silver$695Free Shipping
- Tiffany & Company Schlumberger Yellow Gold Walnut Pill BoxBy Jean Schlumberger for Tiffany & Co.Located in Chicago, ILCirca 1970 Jean Schlumberger for Tiffany & Company 18k Yellow Gold Walnut Form Pill Box, measuring 1 3/8 X 7/8 X 5/8 inch and weighing 23.5 Grams, fine detailing and textured with a ...Category
Vintage 1970s American Boxes and CasesMaterials
Emerald, 18k Gold$6,895Free Shipping
- Tiffany & Co. 2 Section Ruby and Sapphire Cabochon Basket Weave Pill BoxBy Tiffany & Co.Located in New York, NYFine 2 section 14k yellow gold basket weave pill box with ruby and sapphire cabochons, by Tiffany & Co. circa 1950s. This Tiffany & Co. pill box is an elegant and functional piece o...Category
Mid-20th Century Boxes and CasesMaterials
Ruby, Sapphire, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold$3,500Free Shipping
- Tiffany & Co. Yellow Gold Jewelry BoxBy Tiffany & Co.Located in New York, NYThis is a beautiful Tiffany and co gold jewelry box made in 15 carat yellow gold. This jewelry box is gorgeous and unique. Measurements: l...Category
Vintage 1950s American Boxes and CasesMaterials
15k Gold$51,000Free Shipping
- Janna Thomas de Velarde Tiffany and Co. Gilt Sterling Silver Apple Pill BoxBy Tiffany & Co.Located in Houston, TXJanna Thomas De Velarde for Tiffany and Co. Intricate Sterling Silver and Gilt Apple Pill Box Made in her studio in Taxco Mexico circa 1970'...Category
Vintage 1970s Mexican Gilded Age Boxes and CasesMaterials
Sterling Silver$5,000Free Shipping
- Mauboussin 18k White and Yellow Gold Pill Box Clover Pill BoxBy MauboussinLocated in New York, NYFine 18K yellow and white gold pill box by Mauboussin, circa 1990s. This modern Mauboussin pill box is a stunning and functional piece of jewelry. The pill...Category
1990s Boxes and CasesMaterials
Gold, 18k Gold, White Gold, Yellow Gold$2,850Free Shipping
Recently ViewedView More
The Sparkling Legacy of Tiffany & Co. Explained, One Jewel at a Time
A gorgeous new book celebrates — and memorializes — the iconic jeweler’s rich heritage.
15 Scintillating Jewelry Watches to Elevate Your Holiday Style
Watchmakers have tucked their movements into all manner of precious baubles, from lapel pins to cocktail rings. The result is dazzling, wearable art that will get you to the party on time.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery