- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Hans J Wegner Danish Mid-Century Circle Chair
- CreatorHans J. Wegner (Maker)
- DimensionsHeight: 97 cm (38.19 in.)Width: 112 cm (44.1 in.)Depth: 81 cm (31.89 in.)Seat Height: 38 cm (14.97 in.)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1980
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use.
- Seller LocationLondon, GB
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU4943227431542
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingCustoms Duties & Taxes May Apply.Ships From: Sint Gillis Waas, Belgium
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 14 days of delivery.
About the Maker
Hans J. Wegner
Best known for his chairs and seating pieces — though a master of many furniture types like sofas and tables — Hans Wegner was a prolific designer whose elegant, often ebullient, forms and devotion to the finest methods in joinery made "Danish Modern" a popular byword for stylish, well-made furniture in the mid-20th century.
Wegner considered himself a carpenter first and a furniture designer second. Like his peers Arne Jacobsen and Finn Juhl, Wegner believed that striking aesthetics in furniture were based on a foundation of practicality: a chair must be comfortable and sturdy before it is chic.
In keeping with that tenet, several of Wegner’s best chair designs, seen in dealer listings below, have their roots in traditional seating forms. The Peacock chair (designed in 1947) is a throne-like adaptation of the Windsor chair; pieces from the China chair series (begun in 1944) as well as the 1949 Wishbone chair, with its distinctive Y-shaped back splat, are derived from 17th-century Ming seating pieces, as is the upholstered Ox chair (1960). Wegner’s comfy Papa Bear chair (1951) is an almost surreally re-scaled English wingback chair.
Wegner’s most representative piece, the Round chair (1949), gained a footnote in political history when it was used on the TV stage of the first Kennedy-Nixon debate of 1960. That chair, along with Wegner’s more bravura designs, for example the 1963 Shell chair, with its curved surfboard-shaped seat, bring a quietly sculptural presence to a room. Wegner was a designer who revered his primary material — wood — and it shows. His wood gathers patina and character with age; every Hans Wegner piece testifies to the life it has led.
- Hans J Wegner Mid-Century Danish Oak Armchair for Getama, GE290 ModelLocated in London, GBAn increasingly hard to find lounge chair by legendary designer Hans J Wegner. Denmark, c1960s. Solid oak. GE-290 Model. Stamped to underside. Re-covered in fresh uph...Category
Mid-20th Century Danish ArmchairsMaterials
- Mid-Century Original Danish Clam Chair Attr. to Arnold MadsenLocated in London, GBAn increasingly hard to find 'clam' chair. Denmark, c1950s. Attributed to Arnold Madsen, similar models were made by Philip Arctander. Original fabric retained which has ...Category
Vintage 1950s Danish Mid-Century Modern ArmchairsMaterials
- Mid-Century Original Danish Clam Chair attr. to Arnold MadsenLocated in London, GBAn increasingly hard to find 'clam' chair. Denmark, c1950s. Attributed to Arnold Madsen, similar models were made by Philip Arctander. The current fabric is in good condi...Category
Mid-20th Century Danish ArmchairsMaterials
- Pair of FH-7 Mid-Century Danish Chairs by Ernst Heilmann-SevaldsenLocated in London, GBA pair of mid-century armchairs by Ernst Heilmann-Sevaldsen for Fritz Hansen. FH-7 Model. Denmark, c1930s. A rare model with a timeless pairing of wood, leather and uphol...Category
Vintage 1930s Danish Mid-Century Modern ArmchairsMaterials
- Henning Kjaernulf Oak Mid-Century Razorblade Danish ArmchairLocated in London, GBA stylish and comfy armchair by Henning Kjaernulf. Denmark, c1960s. Blonde oak, original upholstery retained, it is stylish and functional but can easily be updated. We often...Category
Mid-20th Century Spanish ArmchairsMaterials
- Henning Kjaernulf Oak Razor Back Mid-Century Danish ArmchairLocated in London, GBA scarce armchair by Henning Kjaernulf. Denmark, c1960s. Unusual upholstered model. Razor back or razor blade model which is a nod to the back rest. Original upholste...Category
Vintage 1960s Danish Mid-Century Modern ArmchairsMaterials
You May Also Like
Early 2000s Danish Mid-Century Modern Lounge Chairs
Fabric, Oak, Teak
Mid-20th Century Danish Mid-Century Modern Lounge Chairs
21st Century and Contemporary Scandinavian Armchairs
Mid-20th Century Danish Scandinavian Modern Armchairs
Vintage 1950s Danish Scandinavian Modern Armchairs
Mid-20th Century Danish Mid-Century Modern Armchairs
Vintage 1960s Danish Mid-Century Modern Armchairs
Vintage 1950s Scandinavian Mid-Century Modern Chairs
Mid-20th Century Scandinavian Scandinavian Modern Armchairs
Mid-20th Century Danish Mid-Century Modern Chairs
Recently ViewedView More
Design Icon Ilse Crawford on Her Colorful New Hans Wegner Chairs
If anyone is brave, humble and adept enough to recolor these mid-century masterpieces, it’s Ilse Crawford. Here, she gives us the details on her five earthy paint choices and tells us how she feels about design collaborations.
The 16 Most Popular Mid-Century Modern Chairs
You know the designs, now get the stories about to how they came to be.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Insured Global Delivery