- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Yves St Laurent YSL Rive Gauche wine red silk tie front blouse 1970s
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingShips From: West Palm Beach, FL
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
About the Designer
Yves Saint Laurent
French fashion designer Yves Saint Laurent pioneered “cross-design” in fashion, taking inspiration from street trends to modernize haute couture.
Saint Laurent was the first to launch a ready-to-wear label, YSL Rive Gauche Prêt-à-Porter. He was the first couturier to open boutiques for both men and women. Using traditional menswear fabrics and designs for women, Saint Laurent also literally cross-dressed, giving men and women alike chic pant suits, elegant tuxedo jackets and urban safari gear. By blurring gender-specific design, he empowered individual style while creating a scissor-sharp fashion aesthetic of sensual ease and beauty. Many of his designs are today considered timeless classics. Saint Laurent also consistently used Black models, like Mounia, Iman and Naomi Campbell, and he drew endless inspiration from different ethnicities and cultures, in no small part because of his Algerian roots.
Born to French parents in Oran, Algeria, in 1936, Saint Laurent went to Paris at age 17 to study fashion at the Chambre Syndicale de la Haute Couture. Just two years later, in 1955, his remarkable sketches were shown to Christian Dior, then the world’s reigning couturier, who hired him immediately.
Surprisingly soon thereafter, Dior publicly chose Saint Laurent as his successor, which sadly proved prescient when the fashion legend died unexpectedly, in 1957. A mere slip of a youth, the 21-year-old Saint Laurent was nevertheless up to the challenge. He shook the traditional couture clientele to its core with youthful silhouettes and styles like the A-line trapeze dress that hung with seeming effortlessness from the shoulders, the antithesis of the pinched waists and molded skirts that had been all the rage after the deprivations of World War II.
After a mandated spell in the torturous French military, Saint Laurent suffered a nervous breakdown and was dismissed by Dior in 1962. Out of the ashes rose the Age of Yves. With Pierre Bergé, his then-lover who became his lifelong business partner and friend, the designer founded Yves Saint Laurent YSL to encompass prêt-à-porter, or ready-to-wear. In 1966, they opened the first YSL Rive Gauche women’s boutique in Paris, followed soon thereafter by YSL Rive Gauche for men. Saint Laurent had given birth to a global brand.
His revolutionary Mondrian mini dress from 1965 is a core element of his fashion biography. It is a prime example of how Saint Laurent, an avid art lover and collector, looked to painters, from Goya to Picasso, Ingres to Matisse, for inspiration.
With its pure lines and hues, Mondrian’s ground-breaking 1935 color-block painting Composition C transmutes beautifully into a dress that is highly valued by collectors of contemporary fashion and widely copied commercially to this day. The design is the epitome of Saint Laurent’s aesthetic, requiring a meticulous hand piecing of each color block so that, despite the body’s curves, the visual plane is as flat as a canvas when the garment is worn. Mondrian’s purity met its match in Saint Laurent.
“I am no longer concerned with sensation and innovation, but with the perfection of my style,” Saint Laurent said four years before retiring, in 2002. After a long period of ill health, he died at his home in Paris on June 1, 2008.
- By Yves Saint Laurent, Yves Saint Laurent Rive GaucheLocated in West Palm Beach, FLYves Saint Laurent Fuchsia Polka Dot Silk Blouse from the 1990s. This beautiful blouse is so evocative of the 90...Category
- By Yves Saint LaurentLocated in West Palm Beach, FLVintage Yves Saint Laurent YSL black metallic stripe gauze peasant top from the 1970s...Long sleeve blouse has f...Category
- By Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche, Yves Saint LaurentLocated in West Palm Beach, FLYves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche Burgundy silk double flap button pocket blouse from the 1970s. This beautiful sil...Category
1970s Blouses and Tops
- By Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche, Yves Saint LaurentLocated in West Palm Beach, FLYves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche vintage orange & gold stripe faille jacket with gold buttons. This jacket looks g...Category
1980s Single-Breasted Jackets
- By Yves Saint Laurent, Yves Saint Laurent Rive GaucheLocated in West Palm Beach, FLYves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche black gabardine cropped jacket with braid trim from the 1970s. Open front jacket ...Category
1970s Cropped Jackets
- By Yves Saint Laurent, Yves Saint Laurent Rive GaucheLocated in West Palm Beach, FLVintage Yves Saint Laurent black raw silk sac dress 1980s...A beautiful and versitle dress the fabric is deep bl...Category
1980s Tunics and Wrap Dresses
You May Also Like
Late 20th Century Blouses and Tops
Late 20th Century Blouses
Late 20th Century Blouses
21st Century and Contemporary Blouses
1990s Blouses and Tops
1990s Blouses and Tops
Recently ViewedView More
The Stories behind the Most Famous Luxury Fashion Logos
From Chanel to YSL, the logos of some legacy fashion houses spark instant brand recognition and have come to symbolize a kind of luxury that feels at once aspirational and attainable.
14 Iconic Luxury Handbags and the Stories behind Them
When the name of a bag is as well-known as its brand, you know it's a classic.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Insured Global Delivery