- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Yves Saint Laurent Floral Peplum Jacket Top, 1990s
About the Item
- Dimensions:Length: 22 in (55.88 cm)Marked Size: 40 (EU)Bust: 36.5 in (92.71 cm)Waist: 30 in (76.2 cm)
- Place of Origin:France
- Seller Location:Boca Raton, FL
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU7306077612
Yves Saint Laurent
French fashion designer Yves Saint Laurent pioneered “cross-design” in fashion, taking inspiration from street trends to modernize haute couture.
Saint Laurent was the first to launch a ready-to-wear label, YSL Rive Gauche Prêt-à-Porter. He was the first couturier to open boutiques for both men and women. Using traditional menswear fabrics and designs for women, Saint Laurent also literally cross-dressed, giving men and women alike chic pant suits, elegant tuxedo jackets and urban safari gear. By blurring gender-specific design, he empowered individual style while creating a scissor-sharp fashion aesthetic of sensual ease and beauty. Many of his designs are today considered timeless classics. Saint Laurent also consistently used Black models, like Mounia, Iman and Naomi Campbell, and he drew endless inspiration from different ethnicities and cultures, in no small part because of his Algerian roots.
Born to French parents in Oran, Algeria, in 1936, Saint Laurent went to Paris at age 17 to study fashion at the Chambre Syndicale de la Haute Couture. Just two years later, in 1955, his remarkable sketches were shown to Christian Dior, then the world’s reigning couturier, who hired him immediately.
Surprisingly soon thereafter, Dior publicly chose Saint Laurent as his successor, which sadly proved prescient when the fashion legend died unexpectedly, in 1957. A mere slip of a youth, the 21-year-old Saint Laurent was nevertheless up to the challenge. He shook the traditional couture clientele to its core with youthful silhouettes and styles like the A-line trapeze dress that hung with seeming effortlessness from the shoulders, the antithesis of the pinched waists and molded skirts that had been all the rage after the deprivations of World War II.
After a mandated spell in the torturous French military, Saint Laurent suffered a nervous breakdown and was dismissed by Dior in 1962. Out of the ashes rose the Age of Yves. With Pierre Bergé, his then-lover who became his lifelong business partner and friend, the designer founded Yves Saint Laurent YSL to encompass prêt-à-porter, or ready-to-wear. In 1966, they opened the first YSL Rive Gauche women’s boutique in Paris, followed soon thereafter by YSL Rive Gauche for men. Saint Laurent had given birth to a global brand.
His revolutionary Mondrian mini dress from 1965 is a core element of his fashion biography. It is a prime example of how Saint Laurent, an avid art lover and collector, looked to painters, from Goya to Picasso, Ingres to Matisse, for inspiration.
With its pure lines and hues, Mondrian’s ground-breaking 1935 color-block painting Composition C transmutes beautifully into a dress that is highly valued by collectors of contemporary fashion and widely copied commercially to this day. The design is the epitome of Saint Laurent’s aesthetic, requiring a meticulous hand piecing of each color block so that, despite the body’s curves, the visual plane is as flat as a canvas when the garment is worn. Mondrian’s purity met its match in Saint Laurent.
“I am no longer concerned with sensation and innovation, but with the perfection of my style,” Saint Laurent said four years before retiring, in 2002. After a long period of ill health, he died at his home in Paris on June 1, 2008.
Browse an extraordinary collection of vintage Yves Saint Laurent evening dresses, shirts, handbags and other clothing and accessories today on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Boca Raton, FL
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
- Bob Mackie Art Deco Gold Black Beaded Jacket, 1980sBy Bob MackieLocated in Boca Raton, FLDesigner to the star, Bob Mackie’s designs are easily some of the most exuberant and show-stopping pieces. Having spent much time working in Hollywood for notable designers such as E...Category
1980s Unknown Jackets
- Givenchy Riccardo Tisci Black Striped Tiered Feather Jacket, 2014By GivenchyLocated in Boca Raton, FLRiccardo Tisci revamped the normally structured, streamlined version of Givenchy by introducing a panoply of color and texture to the design aesthetic. An unconventional fusion of vi...Category
2010s French Jackets
- Chanel Navy Blue Crème Wool Check Gold Button Cardigan Jacket, 1980sBy ChanelLocated in Boca Raton, FLThe 1980s were simultaneously a time of fun-loving glamour and a newfound appreciation for classic lines and tailoring. During this time, the House of Chanel relied on traditional pa...Category
1980s French Jackets
- 1930s Black Vibrant Shibori Flower Silk Kimono JacketLocated in Boca Raton, FLAs fashion in Japan began to skyrocket, the strong presence of the traditional kimono still remains. The straight cuts of silk are carefully sewn together, crafting a robe that can f...Category
1930s Japanese Jackets
- Vintage Chloe Navy blue wool crepe jacket and pleated culottes / gaucho pants enBy ChloéLocated in Boca Raton, FLSize estimate: S/M Measurements jacket: shoulders: 16 inches Bust: 38 Waist: 38 Sleeve length: 22 inches Culottes/ gaucho pants: Waist: 30 inches Hips: 40 inches Inseam: 15 inches L...Category
Late 20th Century French Trouser Pant Suits
- Vintage Emanuel Ungaro Black Silk Velvet Beaded Jacket, 1990sBy Emanuel UngaroLocated in Boca Raton, FLOne of the most notable French designers of the 1960s alongside the likes of Cardin and Courregès, Emanuel Ungaro stood out with his loud color combinations and eccentric prints. Wh...Category
1990s French Jackets
- Moschino Cheap & Chic Wool Pink Pig VestBy Moschino, Moschino Cheap and ChicLocated in Los Angeles, CAMoschino cheap & chic wool pink pig vest The men's vest by Moschino Cheap and Chic is retro cool with a huge sense of humor! Great for special occasion dress...Category
Early 2000s Italian Vests
- Moschino Cheap Chic Black Wool Velvet Trim BlazerBy Moschino Cheap and Chic, MoschinoLocated in Los Angeles, CAMoschino cheap chic black wool blazer The perfect holiday jacket is here in a nice wool with red lining and black velvet trim and buttons. Pair with skinny pants and boots for a gre...Category
1990s Italian Blazers
- Moschino Couture Black Wool Tuxedo Jacket HeartsBy Moschino Couture, MoschinoLocated in Los Angeles, CAMoschino couture black wool tuxedo jacket hearts Unique vintage tuxedo jacket from Moschino Couture line! Perfect for the evening and holiday events th...Category
1990s Italian Tuxedo Jackets
- Moschino Cheap Chic Black White Wool Heart JacketBy Moschino, Moschino Cheap and ChicLocated in Los Angeles, CAMoschino cheap chic black white wool heart jacket This vintage jacket is iconic Moschino ! Cute Cheap and Chic on the collar and covered buttons. Cute red heart patch! Pair with ...Category
1980s Italian Jackets
- Moschino Couture Black Gold Chain Charm JacketBy Moschino Couture, MoschinoLocated in Los Angeles, CAMoschino couture black gold chain charm jacket Unique jacket with gold chains and metal charms that spell Moschino down the front - pair with black s...Category
2010s Italian Jackets
- Moschino Cheap Chic Black Orange Velvet BlazerBy Moschino, Moschino Cheap and ChicLocated in Los Angeles, CAMoschino cheap chic black orange velvet blazer This vintage black velvet blazer with orange digital numbers is museum worthy! Pristine condition. Perfect for evening events paired w...Category
1990s Italian Blazers
Recently ViewedView More
How Do You Authenticate and Care for an Yves Saint Laurent Handbag?
When it comes to the legendary French design house, there is no substitute for true craftsmanship. Xupes shows us how to spot it.
The Stories behind the Most Famous Luxury Fashion Logos
From Chanel to YSL, the logos of some legacy fashion houses spark instant brand recognition and have come to symbolize a kind of luxury that feels at once aspirational and attainable.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery