- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
John Galliano for Christian Dior 1960s Inspired Pink 2008 Vintage Jacket Top
Shipping & Returns
- Shipping$110 Standard Parcel Shippingto United States 0, arrives in 3-5 weeks. We recommend this shipping type based on item size, type and fragility.Delivered by a parcel delivery service such as UPS, FedEx, or DHL.Ships From: Beaverton, OR
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
About the Designer
When Christian Dior launched his couture house, in 1946, he wanted nothing less than to make “an elegant woman more beautiful and a beautiful woman more elegant.” He succeeded, and in doing so the visionary designer altered the landscape of 20th century fashion.
Dior was born in Granville, on the Normandy coast, in 1905. His prosperous haute bourgeois parents wanted him to become a diplomat despite his interest in art and architecture. However, they agreed to bankroll an art gallery, which Dior opened in 1928 in Paris with a friend.
This was the start of Dior’s rise in the city’s creative milieu, where he befriended Pablo Picasso and Jean Cocteau. After seven years as an art dealer, Dior retrained as a fashion illustrator, eventually landing a job as a fashion designer for Robert Piguet, and in 1941, following a year of military service, he joined the house of Lucien Lelong. Just five years later, with the backing of industrialist Marcel Boussac, the ascendant Dior established his own fashion house, at 30 avenue Montaigne in Paris.
Just two years after the end of World War II, the fashion crowd and the moribund haute couture industry were yearning, comme tout Paris, for security and prosperity, desperate to discard the drab, sexless, utilitarian garb imposed by wartime deprivation. They needed to dream anew.
And Dior delivered: He designed a collection for a bright, optimistic future. “It’s quite a revolution, dear Christian!” exclaimed Carmel Snow, the prescient American editor-in-chief of Harper’s Bazaar, famously proclaiming, “Your dresses have such a new look.” The press ran with the description, christening Dior’s debut Spring/Summer haute couture collection the New Look. “God help those who bought before they saw Dior,” said Snow. “This changes everything.”
Dior’s collection definitively declared that opulence, luxury and femininity were in. His skirts could have 40-meter-circumference hems, and outfits could weigh up to 60 pounds. They were cut and shaped like architecture, on strong foundations that molded women and “freed them from nature,” Dior said. Rather than rationing, his ladies wanted reams of fabric and 19-inch waists enforced by wire corsets, and the fashion world concurred. The debut got a standing ovation.
In the subsequent decade, Paris ruled as the undisputed fashion capital of the world, and Christian Dior reigned as its king. With the luxuriously full skirts of his New Look, suits and his drop-dead gorgeous evening dresses and ball gowns worthy of any princess, Dior gave women the gift of glamour they’d lost in the miserable years of war.
- Located in Portland, ORThis is a very rare Spaghetti jacket that is heavily and intricately beaded. When we say heavily beaded, we mean...Category
Late 20th Century Jackets
- By Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in Portland, ORThis incredible vintage 2009 John Galliano Christian Dior dress is in a stunning raspberry pink magenta crepe. T...Category
Early 2000s Evening Gowns
- By Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Portland, ORThis fabulous vintage YSL jacket style shirt with front patch pockets is a perfect example of Saint Laurent's ...Category
1980s Blouses and Tops
- By DynastyLocated in Portland, ORThis beautiful champagne silk jacket from Dynasty was purchased at Mandarin Textiles Limited in Hong Kong in th...Category
- By Dolce & GabbanaLocated in Portland, ORThis Dolce & Gabbana vest is unworn and still has its original tags attached! We love the purple leopard printed...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Vests
- Located in Portland, ORThis is a beautiful Antique Chinese jacket in a brown/black tone on tone fabric with Chinese Symbols. The symbo...Category
Early 20th Century Jackets
You May Also Like
Early 2000s Jackets
1990s Blouses and Tops
1990s Blouses and Tops
Early 2000s Blouses and Tops
Early 2000s Cropped Jackets
Early 2000s Crop Tops
Too Soon for the Return of ’90s Fashion? As If
There's a renewed appreciation for the era's aesthetic, perhaps most notably among millennials seeking authentic, easy style.
14 Iconic Luxury Handbags and the Stories behind Them
When the name of a bag is as well-known as its brand, you know it's a classic.
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Insured Global Delivery