View Similar Items
About the Designer
In the years following the opening of her modest millinery shop, Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel became a pivotal designer of both fashionable casual wear and Paris haute couture as well as an icon and arbiter of 20th-century style with her bob haircut and pearls. Today vintage Chanel handbags, jackets and evening dresses are among the most sought-after clothing and accessories for fashion lovers all over the world.
The first Chanel shop was established in 1910 in Paris on rue Cambon by the young milliner Gabrielle Chanel (1883–1971), who had picked up the nickname “Coco” while working as a club singer. The boutique drew the attention of the Parisian fashion elite who popularized her wide-brimmed Chanel Modes hats. Soon she added a sportswear store in the Normandy resort town of Deauville, where Coco set the tone for her defining sense of style — traditionally masculine garments reimagined for feminine shapes, made from simple jersey fabric.
Effortless and elegant, Chanel's designs promoted comfort and grace in women’s wear that had been dominated in the previous century by complicated layers of fabric and cumbersome corsets. She followed this success with a couture house, opened in 1915 in Biarritz.
But Chanel was not born into a life of glamour. Following the death of her mother, her father left her in an orphanage where she lived until the age of 18. It was there that she learned to sew as well as appreciate the classic pairing of black and white as worn by the nuns. In 1926, she introduced her first little black dress, reclaiming a color that had once been reserved for mourning and working-class women. That same decade, she debuted her perfume, Chanel No. 5, as well as the Chanel suit with a fitted skirt, inspired by the boxy lines of men’s clothing and employing a sporty tweed.
Chanel closed her fashion operations during World War II, then returned to the industry in 1954 to design for the functional needs of modern women. Structure and wearability endured in all of Chanel’s clothing and accessories, like the quilted leather 2.55 handbag introduced in 1955 with its gold-chain shoulder strap that freed up a woman’s hands. Chanel's collarless jacket reacted against the constricting styles of Christian Dior's New Look, replacing them with a design that was timeless, an instant classic. The 1957 two-tone slingback pumps had a practical heel height while offering a bold statement in the black tip of the shoes.
After Coco Chanel died in 1971, the brand underwent several changes in leadership, including fashion designer Karl Lagerfeld, who took over as artistic director in 1983. Over the years, the company has continued to innovate, such as expanding into ready-to-wear fashion in 1978 and, in 2002, establishing a subsidiary company — Paraffection — dedicated to preserving the heritage skills of fashion artisan workshops. The House of Chanel still operates its flagship on rue Cambon in Paris, where it all began.
- Miu Miu Brown Patent Leather Psychedelic Waist Bag BeltBy Miu MiuLocated in Los Angeles, CAResurrection Vintage is excited to offer a vintage Miu Miu burgundy patent leather waist bag with a hologram psychedelic printed adjustable waist belt, velcro closures, and tiny spar...Category
1990s Italian Wallets and Small Accessories
- Gucci 1970s Canvas & Leather Sun Print Shoulder BagBy GucciLocated in Los Angeles, CAA vintage Gucci navy canvas shoulder bag with yellow and white sun print. Leather shoulder strap zipper top, and brass-tone metal hardware. Excelle...Category
1970s Italian Shoulder Bags
- Walter Van Beirendonck Hologram Cosmetics BagBy Walter Van BeirendonckLocated in Los Angeles, CAResurrection Vintage is excited to offer a vintage Walt cosmetic bag featuring four holographic panels, a top zipper, and a "W" keychain. Walt O...Category
1990s Belgian Novelty Bags
- Miu Miu Orange Patent & Red Shearling BagBy Miu MiuLocated in Los Angeles, CAResurrection Vintage is excited to offer a vintage 1990s Miu Miu red and orange patent leather and shearling shoulder bag featuring small pocket with velcro closure, back slit pocket...Category
1990s Italian Shoulder Bags
- Balenciaga by Nicolas Ghesquiere Black Leather & Studded Chrome Bag 2007By Nicholas Ghesquiere, BalenciagaLocated in Los Angeles, CAResurrection Vintage is excited to offer an iconic vintage black Balenciaga by Nicolas Ghesquiere studded leather bag featuring front pockets, folder over flap closure with snap, sho...Category
Early 2000s French Structured Shoulder Bags
- Miu Miu Black & White Abstract Pattern Bowling BagBy Miu MiuLocated in Los Angeles, CAResurrection Vintage is excited to offer a vintage Miu Miu black and white bowling bag style handbag that features a geometric print, black leather trim and bow, front pocket with fl...Category
1990s Italian Top Handle Bags
- Hermès Kelly Kellywood Perspective Cavalière BagBy HermèsLocated in NYC Tri-State/Miami, NYHermès Kelly Kellywood Perspective Cavalière The Kelly bag, a iconic luxury handbag designed by Hermès, is known for its timeless elegance and sophistication. This particular variant, however, takes the classic design to new heights with its exceptional craftsmanship and attention to detail. The cabinetmakers who created this piece have incorporated their expert knowledge of woodworking, resulting in a beautifully crafted frame that is both strong and delicate. The leather craftsmanship is equally impressive, with the use of marquetry – a technique that involves inlaying pieces of leather and wood to create a decorative pattern – to recreate the "Perspective Cavalière" design in vibrant colors. The result is a stunning and unique handbag that is truly one-of-a-kind - The Hermès Kellywood.Category
21st Century and Contemporary Crossbody Bags and Messenger Bags
- Hermès Birkin 20 Sellier Faubourg Blue Madame, Crocodile, Epsom, Sombrero BagBy HermèsLocated in NYC Tri-State/Miami, NYHermès Birkin 20 Sellier Faubourg Blue Madame, Crocodile, Epsom, Sombrero & Swift Palladium Hardware The Sac Birkin Faubourg is a special edition of the Bir...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Top Handle Bags