CHRISTIAN DIOR Y2K pink logo monogram trotter canvas shoulder bag
About the Item
- Place of Origin:Italy
- Condition:Very good, this item was pre-owned and is in very good condition. Please refer to image gallery for thorough condition check. Minor yellowing at edge on right flap. Micro scuff marks on rubber parts. Color transfer on front right zipper. Overflowing.
- Seller Location:Hong Kong, HK
- Reference Number:Seller: TGAS/D005631stDibs: LU1726120890322
When Christian Dior launched his couture house, in 1946, he wanted nothing less than to make “an elegant woman more beautiful and a beautiful woman more elegant.” He succeeded, and in doing so the visionary designer altered the landscape of 20th century fashion.
Dior was born in Granville, on the Normandy coast, in 1905. His prosperous haute bourgeois parents wanted him to become a diplomat despite his interest in art and architecture. However, they agreed to bankroll an art gallery, which Dior opened in 1928 in Paris with a friend.
This was the start of Dior’s rise in the city’s creative milieu, where he befriended Pablo Picasso and Jean Cocteau. After seven years as an art dealer, Dior retrained as a fashion illustrator, eventually landing a job as a fashion designer for Robert Piguet, and in 1941, following a year of military service, he joined the house of Lucien Lelong. Just five years later, with the backing of industrialist Marcel Boussac, the ascendant Dior established his own fashion house, at 30 avenue Montaigne in Paris.
Just two years after the end of World War II, the fashion crowd and the moribund haute couture industry were yearning, comme tout Paris, for security and prosperity, desperate to discard the drab, sexless, utilitarian garb imposed by wartime deprivation. They needed to dream anew.
And Dior delivered: He designed a collection for a bright, optimistic future. “It’s quite a revolution, dear Christian!” exclaimed Carmel Snow, the prescient American editor-in-chief of Harper’s Bazaar, famously proclaiming, “Your dresses have such a new look.” The press ran with the description, christening Dior’s debut Spring/Summer haute couture collection the New Look. “God help those who bought before they saw Dior,” said Snow. “This changes everything.”
Dior’s collection definitively declared that opulence, luxury and femininity were in. His skirts could have 40-meter-circumference hems, and outfits could weigh up to 60 pounds. They were cut and shaped like architecture, on strong foundations that molded women and “freed them from nature,” Dior said. Rather than rationing, his ladies wanted reams of fabric and 19-inch waists enforced by wire corsets, and the fashion world concurred. The debut got a standing ovation.
In the subsequent decade, Paris ruled as the undisputed fashion capital of the world, and Christian Dior reigned as its king. With the luxuriously full skirts of his New Look, suits and his drop-dead gorgeous evening dresses and ball gowns worthy of any princess, Dior gave women the gift of glamour they’d lost in the miserable years of war.
Known for introducing rich theatricality and memorable fashion spectacles to the runway, John Galliano has enjoyed a singular career. The audacious British designer has garnered universal acclaim for genre-breaking collections not only at his eponymous label but also for Givenchy and Christian Dior.
From his embroidered absinthe-green Oscars gown for actress Nicole Kidman to the iconic sleeveless newspaper-print dress that Sex and the City’s Carrie Bradshaw made famous, Galliano’s intricate and multifaceted work is reliably newsworthy, drawing on history as often as it embodies a fresh and forward-looking sensibility, and over the years the designer has helped shape an ever-broadening new legion of enthusiasts for Parisian couture.
Born in Gibraltar but raised in South London by strict Roman Catholic working-class parents, Galliano attended the all-boys Church of England grammar school, where his flamboyance and interest in art attracted the attention of bullies. Eventually, Galliano ended up at the prestigious design and art school Central Saint Martins College (then called Saint Martin’s School of Art), where fellow British designers Stella McCartney and Alexander McQueen also trained.
Galliano flourished at Central Saint Martins. While a student, he worked in the costume department at the National Theatre in London. His graduate collection in 1984, dubbed “Les Incroyables” and named for post–French Revolution fashion lovers, was modeled by close friends of his and earned a standing ovation. The line ended up in the storefront windows of London luxury boutique Brown’s on South Molton Street, and Galliano’s first official collection — after he graduated — debuted at Paris Fashion Week in 1989.
In the early 1990s, Galliano’s relationship with his financial backer, Plein Sud’s Faycal Amor, ended, and by 1994, he was broke and sleeping on the floor of a friend’s apartment. Vogue editor in chief Anna Wintour and then-Vanity Fair editor André Leon Talley stepped in and introduced the budding designer to Portuguese socialite and fashion patron São Schlumberger and others. At Schlumberger’s Hôtel Particulier, Galliano’s shows became the stuff of fashion legend. His collection, a blend of Japanese modernist style as well as nostalgia for Art Deco and 1940s’ tailoring, earned raves in glossy magazines and garnered the attention of Princess Diana, Madonna and other fashion luminaries.
Once the Galliano name was well known among the world’s most stylish set, the chairperson of LVMH, Bernard Arnault, appointed Galliano head designer of French fashion house Givenchy. One year later, in 1996, LVMH moved him to the design team at Dior, where he produced scores of celebrated looks for Dior Haute Couture. Today, Galliano is the creative director of Maison Margiela.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Sha Tin, Hong Kong
- Return PolicyThis item cannot be returned.
- CHARLOTTE OLYMPIA Precious Pouch gold Kitty print tan leather drawstring bagBy Charlotte OlympiaLocated in Hong Kong, NTCHARLOTTE OLYMPIA Precious Pouch gold Kitty print tan leather drawstring bag Reference: SNKO/A00160 Brand: Charlotte Olympia Collection: Kitty Material: Leather Color: Brown Pattern: Solid Closure: Drawstring Extra Detail: Metallic gold coated...Category
2010s Evening Bags and Minaudières
- BURBERRY BLUE LABEL brown House Check leather buckle crossbody messenger bagBy BurberryLocated in Hong Kong, NTBURBERRY BLUE LABEL brown House Check leather buckle crossbody messenger bag Brand: Burberry Collection: House Check Color: Brown Pattern: Checkered Closure: Zip Extra Detail: Detac...Category
2010s Japanese Evening Bags and Minaudières
- new GUCCI DORAEMON 2021 Limited GG Supreme red drawstring crossbody bucket bagBy Alessandro Michele, GucciLocated in Hong Kong, NTnew GUCCI DORAEMON 2021 Limited GG Supreme red drawstring crossbody bucket bag Reference: TGAS/C01515 Brand: Gucci Designer: Alessandro Michele Collection: Doraemon Material: Canvas,...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Evening Bags and Minaudières
- CHANEL Medium Boy black smooth calfskin leather antique silver crossbody bagBy ChanelLocated in Hong Kong, NTCHANEL Medium Boy black smooth calfskin leather antique silver crossbody bag Brand: Chanel Model: Medium Boy Material: Leather Color: Black Pattern: ...Category
2010s French Evening Bags and Minaudières
- BALENCIAGA DEMNA LE Cagole XS neon yellow silver stud crossbody Motocross bagBy BalenciagaLocated in Hong Kong, NTBALENCIAGA DEMNA LE Cagole XS neon yellow silver stud crossbody Motocross bag Brand: Balenciaga Designer: Demna Model: Le Cagole XS Material: Leather Colo...Category
2010s Italian Evening Bags and Minaudières
- rare BOTTEGA VENETA Daniel Lee Runway beige shearling fringe crossbody clutchBy Bottega VenetaLocated in Hong Kong, NTrare BOTTEGA VENETA Daniel Lee Runway beige shearling fringe crossbody clutch Reference: TGAS/C01519 Brand: Bottega Veneta Designer: Daniel Lee Collection: 2020 - Runway Material: Sh...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Evening Bags and Minaudières
- Black Pleated Satin Evening HandbagLocated in Paris, FRBlack evening black handbag featuring a satin pleated textured silk pattern, a satin top handle, gold-tone hardware, satin interior lining and slot pocket. Length 10.6in. (27 cm) He...Category
1980s Italian Evening Bags and Minaudières
- 1970s Celine Brown Velvet Leather Triomphe ClutchBy CelineLocated in Paris, FRCeline "Triomphe " brown velvet leather clutch bag featuring signature Triomphe motif, a gold-tone logo plaque, a front flap closure, an internal slip pocket and an inside logo stamp...Category
1970s French Evening Bags and Minaudières
- Prada 2005 Re-edition Crystalised BagBy PradaLocated in London, GBNordic Poetry is very excited to present this Prada 2005 re-edition crystalised hobo bag. Features Prada hardware, all over crystals and zip closure. Pre...Category
Early 2000s Italian Evening Bags and Minaudières
- Chanel Black Patent Leather Quilted CC Logo Cylinder Canister Wristlet ClutchBy ChanelLocated in San Francisco, CAChanel black patent leather mini wristlet purse from 2003/2004. Bag has square quilting throughout with CC logos, large CC logo at top. Dangling large gunmetal silver metal CC logo a...Category
Early 2000s French Clutches
- 1960's Vintage Beaded BagLocated in London, GBThis vintage hand-made beaded bag from the 1960s features Autumn hues with snap lock closure and a black handle. Fully lined in black satin, this bag has one open interior pocket and...Category
1960s Evening Bags and Minaudières
- Chanel Iridescent Silver Lait de Coco Milk Carton BagBy ChanelLocated in London, GBGot milk? This incredibly rare and limited edition Chanel milk carton bag derives from one of Karl Lagerfeld's most infamous runways of all time...Category
2010s Evening Bags and Minaudières
Recently ViewedView All
Too Soon for the Return of ’90s Fashion? As If
There's a renewed appreciation for the era's aesthetic, perhaps most notably among millennials seeking authentic, easy style.
14 Iconic Luxury Handbags and the Stories behind Them
When the name of a bag is as well-known as its brand, you know it's a classic.