- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Sergio Rodrigues Rocio Bench for OCA
- CreatorSergio Rodrigues (Designer)
- DimensionsHeight: 16 in. (40.64 cm)Width: 75 in. (190.5 cm)Depth: 35.5 in. (90.17 cm)Seat Height: 16 in. (40.64 cm)
- StyleMid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1965
- Seller LocationSan Francisco, CA
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU812512532421
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRates vary by destination and complexity. We recommend this shipping type based on item size, type and fragility.Ships From: San Francisco, CA
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
About Sergio Rodrigues (Designer)
The prolific architect and designer Sergio Rodrigues is often called the "father of modern Brazilian design," but it is the second adjective in that phrase that deserves emphasis: Rodrigues’s great achievement was to create furniture in a style that captured the spirit, character and personality of his country.
Modernity came slowly to 20th-century Brazil, politically and culturally. The nation finally realized genuine constitutional democracy in 1945, ushering in a new, progressive era in the arts. Until that time, heavy furniture based on historical European models had been the norm. In the late 1940s, designer Joaquim Tenreiro introduced sleek, minimalist chairs and cabinets; José Zanine Caldas, now best known for his later artisanal work, created plywood furnishings for mass-production; the Italian architect Lina Bo Bardi, a former editor for the Gió Ponti-founded magazine Domus, set up shop in São Paulo, designing elegant, flexible chairs set on slim metal frames.
This was the heady scene into which Rodrigues, the son of an artistically prominent Rio de Janeiro family, arrived after graduating in 1952 from the national university. He established Oca Industries in 1955, a company that would become the preeminent maker of modernist furniture in Brazil. When architects Lúcio Costa and Oscar Niemeyer were tasked in 1956 with the whirlwind project to plan, design and build the new capital, Brasília, in five years, they used Rodrigues’s early chairs, with their softly-contoured lines and caned seats and backrests, to furnish many of the buildings.
Rodrigues would realize the true expression of his talents in — and garner international awards and acclaim with — his Mole chair of 1957. The word mole means "soft" in Portuguese, but can be interpreted as "easygoing" or even "listless." Rodrigues's chair features a sturdy, generously proportioned frame of the native South American hardwood jacaranda, upholstered with overstuffed leather pads that flap like saddlebags across the arms, seat, and backrest. It is a chair that invites sprawling — perfect for the social milieu of the bossa nova and caipirinha cocktails; where a languorous afternoon spent chatting and joking is the apex of enjoyment. Most of the estimated 1,200 chairs, sofas, tables, beds and dressers Rodrigues designed in his long career are imbued, in one way or another, with this air of robust relaxation. Sergio Rodrigues was a designer true to the temperament of his people.
- By Sergio RodriguesLocated in San Francisco, CARare Sergio Rodrigues "Mocho" stool for Oca, Brazil, 1954. Sublime in its simplicity and comfort, in very good o...Category
Vintage 1950s Brazilian Mid-Century Modern Stools
- By Sergio RodriguesLocated in San Francisco, CASergio Rodrigues design wall mirror. Superb quality construction made from solid Brazilian rosewood in excellent...Category
Vintage 1970s Brazilian Mid-Century Modern Wall MirrorsMaterials
- By Dunbar FurnitureLocated in San Francisco, CAEdward Wormley design upholstered bench for Dunbar Furniture Co. The mahogany base has been newly refinished and...Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern BenchesMaterials
- By Børge MogensenLocated in San Francisco, CABørge Mogensen bench model 3171, designed in 1956 for Fredericia Møbelfabrik. Vintage original example with sig...Category
Vintage 1960s Danish Scandinavian Modern BenchesMaterials
You May Also Like
Vintage 1950s Brazilian Mid-Century Modern Benches
Vintage 1960s Brazilian Mid-Century Modern Benches
Vintage 1960s Brazilian Benches
Vintage 1960s Brazilian Coffee and Cocktail Tables
20th Century Brazilian Mid-Century Modern Lounge Chairs
Mid-20th Century South American Benches
Mid-20th Century Brazilian Mid-Century Modern Benches
Vintage 1960s British Mid-Century Modern Stools
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Insured Global Delivery