George Nelson MAA Chairs
About the Item
- Creator:George Nelson (Designer)
- Dimensions:Height: 34 in (86.36 cm)Width: 26 in (66.04 cm)Depth: 24 in (60.96 cm)
- Sold As:Set of 2
- Style:Mid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:circa 1954
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:San Francisco, CA
- Reference Number:Seller: A24961stDibs: LU90866260203
Architect, designer, and writer George Nelson was a central figure in the mid-century American modernist design movement; and his thoughts influenced not only the furniture we live with, but also how we live.
Nelson came to design via journalism and literature. Upon receiving his bachelor’s degree in architecture from Yale in 1931, he won the Prix de Rome fellowship, and spent his time in Europe writing magazine articles that helped bring stateside recognition to Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, Gio Ponti, Le Corbusier and other canonical modernist architects. In the 1940s, Nelson wrote texts that suggested such now-commonplace ideas as open-plan houses, storage walls and family rooms. D.J. De Pree, the owner of the furniture maker Herman Miller, was so impressed by Nelson that in 1944 — following the sudden death of Gilbert Rohde, who had introduced the firm to modern design in the 1930s — he invited Nelson to join the company as its design director.
There Nelson’s curatorial design talents came to the fore. To Herman Miller he brought such eminent creators as Charles and Ray Eames, Isamu Noguchi, and the textile and furniture designer Alexander Girard. Thanks to a clever contract, at the same time as he directed Herman Miller he formed a New York design company, George Nelson & Associates, that sold furniture designs to the Michigan firm, as well as its competitor, the Howard Miller Clock Company. Nelson’s New York team of designers (who were rarely individually credited) would create such iconic pieces as the Marshmallow sofa, the Coconut chair, the Ball clock, the Bubble lamp series and the many cabinets and beds that comprise the sleek Thin-Edge line.
For dedicated collectors, as well as for interior designers who look beyond “the look,” there is a “cool-factor” inherent to vintage pieces from George Nelson and others. Nelson was in on it from the start, and it’s valuable to have a piece that was there with him. But still, as is evident from the offerings from dealers on these pages, in any of the designs, in any iteration whose manufacture Nelson oversaw and encouraged, there are shining elements of lightness, elegance, sophistication — and a little bit of swagger. George Nelson felt confident in his ideas about design and didn’t mind letting the world know.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: San Francisco, CA
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- "Urania" Chair by BBPR for ArflexBy Studio BBPRLocated in San Francisco, CAA Urania desk or side chair by BBPR for Arflex. Restored in a faux ivory leather with black iron frame. Italy, circa 1954.Category
Vintage 1950s Italian Mid-Century Modern ArmchairsMaterials
- George Nelson Rare High Back ChairBy George Nelson, Herman MillerLocated in San Francisco, CAGeorge Nelson rare high back chair A high back lounge chair designed by George Nelson for Herman Miller. Model #5469, this lounge chair is one of t...Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- George Nelson, Limited Edition Daf Swag Leg Dining ChairBy George Nelson, Herman MillerLocated in San Francisco, CAA rare set of four swag legged dining chairs designed in 1958 by George Nelson for Herman Miller. Cream colored fiberglass on a black enameled base. All in excellent original conditi...Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Joaquim Tenreiro Side ChairBy Joaquim TenreiroLocated in San Francisco, CAA side chair by Joaquim Tenreiro. Original upholstery and stiletto legs of Brazilian mahogany.Category
Vintage 1950s Brazilian Mid-Century Modern Side ChairsMaterials
- Eight Drawer Chest by George NelsonBy George NelsonLocated in San Francisco, CAA chest of drawers by George Nelson for Herman Miller in rosewood, with porcelain knobs and aluminum fluted legs. The top drawers have dividers. Retains the manufacturer’s label.[...Category
Vintage 1950s American Modern Commodes and Chests of DrawersMaterials
- Original Swag Leg Pedestal Table by George NelsonBy George Nelson, Herman MillerLocated in San Francisco, CAAn original swag leg side table by George Nelson for Herman Miller with a black table laminate top and wood trim on a polished aluminum base #5451.Category
Late 20th Century American Modern Side TablesMaterials
- 1960s Executive Desk Chair by George NelsonBy George NelsonLocated in Sagaponack, NYA George Nelson designed rolling desk chair with orange fabric supported by a swivel base with casters. Manufactured by George Nelson and Associates in the 1960s. Newly reupholstered.Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Swivel ChairsMaterials
- MCM Leather Perch Chair by George Nelson for Herman MillerBy Herman Miller, George NelsonLocated in Rio Vista, CAMid-Century Modern leather perch stool or chair designed by George Nelson for Herman Miller. Versatile chair with adjustable hand-stitched leather seat hav...Category
20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Office Chairs and Desk ChairsMaterials
- Rare George Nelson Office Chair for Herman Miller, USA, c. 1950'sBy Herman Miller, George NelsonLocated in Deland, FLNot only is this an iconic design by George Nelson for Herman Miller but it shares an interesting history tied to space exploration. This chair was used by the head engineer for NASA...Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern Office Chairs and Desk ChairsMaterials
- Dining or Desk Chair by Ernest Farmer for George Nelson and AssociatesBy Herman Miller, Ernest Farmer, George NelsonLocated in Denver, COA rare birch dining or desk chair by Ernest Farmer of George Nelson and Associates for Herman Miller. Professional reupholstery available at pass-thro...Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- George Nelson Desk or Office Chair, Very Rare, New Red Boucle Knoll UpholsteryBy Herman Miller, George NelsonLocated in Kansas City, MOVery rare George Nelson desk chair, freshly reupholstered in a crimson Knoll Classic boucle.Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern Office Chairs and Desk ChairsMaterials
- George IV Library Chair with Reading ArmLocated in Greenwich, CTFine late Georgian mahogany library bergere with adjustable reading arm, the ribbed back, seat and arms with hand caning, both arms with brass sockets to accept the original brass an...Category
Antique Early 19th Century English George IV ArmchairsMaterials
Recently ViewedView All
A Guide to Herman Miller’s Most Iconic Furniture
The prolific manufacturer has partnered with many of the world’s top designers since opening its doors in 1923. Here are some of the company’s greatest hits, which helped transform the American home and office.
Kule and Forsyth Give Iconic Furniture a Bold Makeover with Stripes
Maggie and Anne Genovese, of Forsyth, teamed up with fashion designer Nikki Kule to reimagine some classic pieces.