- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Danish Mid-Century Modern Teak Leather Upholstery Lounge Rocking Chair MINT!
About the Item
- Dimensions:Height: 39 in (99.06 cm)Width: 26 in (66.04 cm)Depth: 28 in (71.12 cm)Seat Height: 18 in (45.72 cm)
- Style:Mid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:circa 1970s
- Condition:Mint vintage condition.
- Seller Location:Rockaway, NJ
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU883730855382
A scholar and architect with the heart of an artist, Ole Wanscher helped define the functional, clean-cut style that formed the core of modern Danish furniture design. Influenced heavily by his world travels, Wanscher gained inspiration from English, Asian, Egyptian and traditional Shaker furniture, and he incorporated elements from these styles into his revered mid-century designs.
Wanscher’s deep respect for the use of traditional materials such as quality wood is reflected in his work, which is valued for being both beautiful and built to last. He was also a leader in the postwar “design for everyone” movement, creating many pieces intended for everyday life within the small confines of the average Danish household. Later, Wanscher became a prolific writer on the subject of furniture design. He is considered one of the most significant influences on the world of Scandinavian modernism.
The son of an art historian and a painter, Wanscher studied at the Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts. From 1925 to 1927, Wanscher worked under the great Danish designer and professor Kaare Klint, who became one of the greatest stylistic influences on his output. Wanscher would go on to work as a professor at the academy from 1955 to 1973.
Wanscher founded his own furniture manufacturing company in 1929. Here he employed the top cabinetmakers of the day, most notably A.J. Iversen, with whom Wanscher collaborated for many years. While the workshop produced seductive handmade furniture with organic materials such as teak and mahogany, Wanscher intended to design durable seating, tables and more for the mass market — he was committed to making quality furniture available to a wider audience.
Of all of Wanscher’s designs, he is perhaps best known for his Colonial chair. This piece — which is part of a collection for Danish manufacturer P. Jeppesens that includes a sofa and a coffee table — exemplifies his penchant for combining minimalist design with traditional craftsmanship. Wanscher’s dining room tables, such as the Rungstedlund table, also epitomize the elegance of his work’s simple silhouettes and careful construction. These sleek tables serve as an ideal centerpiece for both modern and traditionally styled dining rooms, highlighting the versatility of Wanscher’s work.
Wanscher received a gold medal for his exemplary work at the 1960 Milan Triennale. He also received the Copenhagen Carpenters’ Guild Annual Award. Though Wanscher passed away in 1985, his iconic designs and scholarly writings remain relevant to this day.
Find vintage Ole Wanscher tables, seating and case pieces on 1stDibs.
France & Søn
After businessman Charles William Fearnley France (1897–1972) moved from his native England to Denmark in 1936, he began to operate a small mattress factory alongside his friend Eric Daverkosen, a Danish cabinetmaker, under the name France & Daverkosen. Shortly afterward, Daverkosen passed away, and when Denmark was invaded during the Second World War, Charles was captured and sent to a prison camp in Germany. When he was released, the British entrepreneur set out to produce furniture in the early 1950s, setting up a shop in Hillerød to manufacture the kind of sleek beech and teak goods that were gaining widespread acclaim around the world. In 1957, France’s son James joined the business, and the company changed its name to reflect the addition.
Throughout the ’50s and ’60s, France & Søn produced a stunning array — and staggering quantity — of designs, with elegant modernist lounge chairs and armchairs, teak and rosewood dining tables and other furnishings by the likes of Finn Juhl, Grete Valk, Ole Wanscher, Peter Hvidt and Orla Mølgaard-Nielsen all gracing its catalogues.
Even as there was a focus on mass production at France & Søn — and the brand doesn’t quite enjoy the same renown as fellow mid-century Danish furniture makers such as Carl Hansen & Søn — Charles France believed in making quality furniture, and the company’s offerings evoke the warmth of the handcrafted work that is typically associated with Scandinavian modernism.
In the 1960s, the company was bought by Danish designer Poul Cadovius, who folded it into the operations at CADO, a company he founded during the 1950s. Surviving examples of early work from the brand as well as modern icons by the likes of Verner Panton that followed in later years continue to be in demand.
Find a collection of France & Søn furniture on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Blairstown, NJ
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
- New Wool Upholstery Danish Mid-Century Modern Rocking Lounge Arm Chair Mint!By Selig, Ib Kofod-LarsenLocated in Rockaway, NJNew Wool upholstery Danish Mid-Century Modern rocking lounge arm chair mint!Category
20th Century Danish Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Danish Modern Rocking Lounge Chair New UpholsteryBy Dux of Sweden, SeligLocated in Rockaway, NJNew charcoal fabric upholstery Danish Mid-Century Modern rocking lounge chair.Category
20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Rocking ChairsMaterials
- Danish Mid-Century Modern Wool Upholstery Tall Back Rocking Lounge ChairBy Selig, Dux of SwedenLocated in Rockaway, NJDanish Mid-Century Modern wool upholstery tall back rocking lounge chair.Category
20th Century Danish Mid-Century Modern Rocking ChairsMaterials
- Unusual Cradle Shape Seat One Piece of S Curve Molded Wood Rocking Chair MintBy Charles EamesLocated in Rockaway, NJUnusual cradle shape seat one piece of s curve molded wood rocking chair MINT.Category
20th Century Unknown Mid-Century Modern Rocking ChairsMaterials
- New Blue Wool Upholstery Teak Frames Danish Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsBy Finn Juhl, Adrian PearsallLocated in Rockaway, NJDanish Mid-Century Modern barrel backs new wool upholstery lounge chairs in style of Finn Juhl.Category
20th Century Danish Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- John Stuart Mid Century Danish Modern Plaid Pattern Upholstery Teak Lounge ChairBy George Tanier, John Stuart Inc.Located in Rockaway, NJJohn Stuart mid century danish modern plaid pattern upholstery teak lounge chair.Category
20th Century Danish Mid-Century Modern ArmchairsMaterials
- Swedish Leather "Perrot Cage" Swing Chair by Ib ArbergBy Ib ArbergLocated in Burbank, CAStunning vintage leather “Perrot Cage” swing chair designed by Ib Arberg in Sweden, circa 1970s. This chair has an extravagant design that mixes different materials in a significant ...Category
Vintage 1970s Swedish Mid-Century Modern Swivel ChairsMaterials
- Embossed Folding Leather Lounge Chair by Angel PazminoBy Muebles De Estilo, Angel PazminoLocated in Berkeley, CAOrigin: Ecuador Designer: Angel Pazmino Manufacturer: Muebles De Estilo Era: 1960s.Category
Mid-20th Century Ecuadorean Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Georg Jensen Sculpted Teak & Leather Rocking Chair for Kubus MøblerBy Kubus, Søren Georg JensenLocated in Los Angeles, CAGeorg Jensen sculpted teak & leather rocking chair for Kubus Møbler.Category
Vintage 1960s Danish Mid-Century Modern Rocking ChairsMaterials
- Mid-Century Danish Rocking Chair for Bramin Møbler, 1958By Bramin Mobler, Frank ReenskaugLocated in London, GBA Danish mid-century design rocking chair by Frank Reenskaug, for Bramin Møbler, designed in 1958. The chair is presented in painted teak with a loose seat and back cushion newly up...Category
Vintage 1950s Danish Mid-Century Modern Rocking ChairsMaterials
Linen, Wood, Teak
- Swing Rocking Chair Sheepskin Moonlight by Warm NordicLocated in Geneve, CHSwing rocking chair sheepskin moonlight by Warm Nordic Dimensions: D91 x W68 x H 103 cm Material: Wood, Foam, Rubber springs, French cane, Textile or leather upholstery, Teak, Shee...Category
2010s Danish Post-Modern Rocking ChairsMaterials
Sheepskin, Upholstery, Cane, Foam, Rubber, Wood, Teak
- Danish Teak Rocking Chair by Ole Wanscher 1950s with New UpholsteryBy France & Søn, Ole WanscherLocated in St-Brais, JURare mid-century rocking chair designed by Danish Professor Ole Wanscher. Made in Denmark by France & Søn during the 1950s. It maintains the manufacturer’s mark and features a sturdy...Category
Mid-20th Century Danish Scandinavian Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
Wool, Teak, Upholstery, Wood
- Mid Century Modern Upholstery Rocking ChairLocated in Los Angeles, CAThis extraordinary mid-century modern upholstered rocking chair is crafted out of brass, iron, and wood combination and has been professionally restored by our team of craftsmen. The...Category
Vintage 1940s English Regency Rocking ChairsMaterials
Metal, Steel$2,606 Sale Price25% Off
- Mid-Century Modern Leather and Plywood Lounge Rocking ChairLocated in Weesp, NLStylish and extremely comfortable lounge / rocking chair made in the 1970s. The chair has a sophisticated plywood bended frame with a deep and warm grain rosewood veneer. The newly,...Category
Vintage 1970s French Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Mid Century Danish Ole Wanscher Model 120 Teak Rocking Chair For France & SonBy Ole WanscherLocated in Shepperton, SurreyA superb and hard to find teak rocking chair designed by Ole Wanscher for France & Son, Denmark. An absolute triumph of a design, the slenderness and elegance of the frame is rema...Category
Vintage 1960s Danish Scandinavian Modern Rocking ChairsMaterials
- Mid-Century Modern Sculptural Danish Rocking Chair, c1955By BaumritterLocated in Port Jervis, NYElegantly restored Mid-Century Modern rocking chair most likely by Baumritter. Comb back style with all new cushions. Seat height is 19.Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern Rocking ChairsMaterials
- Mid Century Rattan Rocking Lounge ChairLocated in Countryside, ILMid Century Rattan Rocking Lounge Chair Lounge chair measures: 24 wide x 29 deep x 42 high, with a seat height of 16 inches All pieces of furniture can be had in what we call r...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Fall 1998 Chanel Brown Wool Double Breasted BlazeBy ChanelLocated in Toronto, OntarioChanel brown wool short double breasted blazer from the fall 1998 collection. Long sleeve, notched collar and brass CC logo buttons. Centre and side seams with subtle tonal top stitc...Category
1990s French Coats
- Chanel Black Rare Vintage 90's Runway Limited Edition Collectors SunglassesBy ChanelLocated in Miami, FLBlack Chanel Vintage Comb Sunglasses CHANEL vintage 1993 black comb design sunglasses with gold toned CC logos on the temples. As seen on LADY GAGA. Marked CHANEL Made in ItalyCategory
1990s Italian Sunglasses
- 2000s Chanel Black Transparent ShirtBy ChanelLocated in Lugo (RA), ITChanel shirt in transparent black silk with ruffles and front black buttons, long sleeves with wide slit and classic collar. Years: 2007 Made in France Size: 38 FR Linear measures...Category
Early 2000s Italian Shirts$575 Sale Price27% Off
- HERMES Havane brown Clemence leather BOLIDE 45 Travel BagBy HermèsLocated in Zürich, CHHermes "Bolide" travel bag in Havane (chestnut brown) Taurillon Clemence leather. Open with a zipper on top. Lined in leather and beige cotton. Has been carried with two small black ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Top Handle Bags
- HERMES Ostrich Picotin 22 Bag SaffronBy HermèsLocated in New York, NYHERMES Ostrich Picotin 22 Bag Saffron. The Hermés Picotin bag embodies the quintessence of style and luxury due to its impeccable design, craftsmanship, and significance. This par...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Top Handle Bags
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery