Sofa Bo64 Designed by Finn Juhl for Bovirke, Denmark, 1940s
About the Item
- Creator:Finn Juhl (Designer)
- Dimensions:Height: 31.5 in (80 cm)Width: 66.93 in (170 cm)Depth: 31.5 in (80 cm)Seat Height: 15.75 in (40 cm)
- Style:Mid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1940s
- Seller Location:Stockholm, SE
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU1006632578632
Along with Hans Wegner, Arne Jacobsen and Børge Mogensen, Finn Juhl was one of the great masters of mid-20th-century Danish design. Juhl was the first among that group to have his work promoted overseas, bringing the character of the nation’s furnishings — and the inherent principles of grace, craftsmanship and utility on which they were based — to an international audience. A stylistic maverick, Juhl embraced expressive, free-flowing shapes in chair and sofa designs much earlier than his colleagues, yet even his quietest pieces incorporate supple, curving forms that are at once elegant and ergonomic.
As a young man, Juhl hoped to become an art historian, but his father steered him into a more practical course of study in architecture. He began designing furniture in the late 1930s, a discipline in which, despite his education, Juhl was self-taught, and quite proud of the fact. His earliest works, designed in the late 1930s, are perhaps his most idiosyncratic. The influence of contemporary art is clear in Juhl's 1939 Pelican chair: an almost Surrealist take on the classic wing chair. Critics reviled the piece, however; one said it looked like a "tired walrus." Juhl had tempered his creativity by 1945, when the Danish furniture-making firm Niels Vodder began to issue his designs. Yet his now-classic NV 45 armchair still demonstrates panache, with a seat that floats above the chair’s teak frame.
Juhl first exhibited his work in the United States in 1950, championed by Edgar Kaufmann Jr., an influential design critic and scion of America’s most prominent family of modern architecture and design patrons. (Kaufmann’s father commissioned Frank Lloyd Wright’s design of the house “Fallingwater.”) Juhl quickly won a following for such signature designs as the supremely comfortable Chieftan lounge chair, the biomorphic Baker sofa, and the Judas table, a piece ornamented with stylish inlaid silver plaquettes.
As you will see from the offerings on 1stDibs, Finn Juhl’s furniture — as well as his lighting, ceramics, tableware and accessories — has an air of relaxed sophistication and elegance that is unique in the realm of mid-20th-century design.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Stockholm, Sweden
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
- Chair 'Egyptian' designed by Finn Juhl for Niels Vodder, Denmark, 1949By Finn JuhlLocated in Stockholm, SEChair “Egyptian” designed by Finn Juhl for Niels Vodder, Denmark, 1949. Made and stamped by the maker. Brazilian rosewood and leather. Measurements: H: ...Category
Mid-20th Century Danish Mid-Century Modern ChairsMaterials
- Rare Coffee Table Designed by Finn Juhl for Niels Vodder, Denmark, 1941By Finn JuhlLocated in Stockholm, SECoffee table designed by Finn Juhl for Niels Vodder, Denmark, 1941. Walnut-veneered wood, ash, walnut, painted steel, and aluminium. Only two of these coffee tables with an integra...Category
Mid-20th Century Danish Mid-Century Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Chair ‘Spade’ Model FD 133 Designed by Finn Juhl for Frankrike & Søn, DenmarkBy Finn JuhlLocated in Stockholm, SEChair ‘Spade’ model FD 133 designed by Finn Juhl for Frankrike & Søn, Denmark, 1954. Teak and fabric. Marked. Juhl initially wanted to be an art historian, but his father doubted the financial prospects of the profession. The compromise was that Juhl would become an architect, instead. Throughout his life, Juhl was continuously inspired by contemporary art, particularly by the artists Henry Moore, Jean Arp, Barbara Hepworth, Erik Thommesen, and Vilhelm Lundstrøm...Category
Mid-20th Century Danish Mid-Century Modern ChairsMaterials
- Sofa “Colonial” Designed by Ole Wanscher for P. Jeppesen, Denmark, 1950sBy Ole WanscherLocated in Stockholm, SESofa ‘Colonial’ designed by Ole Wanscher for P. Jeppesen, Denmark, 1960s. Brazilian rosewood and black leather. Measurements: H: 60 cm/ 1' 11 5/8" W: 123.5 cm/ 4' 5/8" D: 66 cm/ 2...Category
Vintage 1950s Danish Mid-Century Modern SofasMaterials
- Sofa designed by Birger Hahl for A. Salmi Huonekalutehdas, Finland, 1931Located in Stockholm, SESofa designed by Birger Hahl for A. Salmi Huonekalutehdas, Finland. 1931. Oak, wool upholstery. Commissioned for the Parliament House, Helsinki, 1931. S...Category
Vintage 1930s Finnish Mid-Century Modern SofasMaterials
- Sofa Designed by Axel Einar Hjorth for Nordiska Kompaniet, Sweden, 1930sBy Axel Einar HjorthLocated in Stockholm, SESofa designed by Axel Einar Hjorth for Nordiska Kompaniet, Sweden, 1930s. Velvet Upholstery. Dimensions: H: 73 cm / 2' 4 3/4'' W: 168.5 cm / 5' 6 1/4'' D: 68 cm / 2' 2 3/4'' Depth...Category
Mid-20th Century Swedish Mid-Century Modern SofasMaterials
- Mid Century Danish Bo64 Sofa by Finn JuhlBy Finn Juhl, BovirkeLocated in Camperdown, NSWHere we have a stunning Sofa BO64, designed by Finn Juhl for Bovirke, Denmark. 1940’s. Finn Juhl's organic BO64 sofa shows the influence of the biomorphic sculp...Category
Vintage 1950s Danish Scandinavian Modern SetteesMaterials
- Mid Century Danish BO64 Sofa by Finn Juhl in BoucleBy Bovirke, Finn JuhlLocated in London, LondonBO64 sofa By Finn Juhl for Bovirke Restored and newly upholstered in Designers Guild Boucle Beech frame Buttoned back and sides Seat height 42cm ...Category
Mid-20th Century Danish Mid-Century Modern SofasMaterials
- Rare Finn Juhl Bovirke BO64 Sofa in Fine Belgian Two-Toned BoucleBy Finn Juhl, BovirkeLocated in Culver City, CAA prized piece for any Danish modern enthusiast, this Finn Juhl for Bovirke BO64 3 seater sofa is absolutely stunning. Designed in the late 1940's this piece still has its original straps and hand tied springs (repaired and reinforced on the bottom by our restoration specialists). This sofa has been reupholstered in a luxurious creamy white Belgian boucle...Category
Vintage 1940s Danish Mid-Century Modern SofasMaterials
- Finn Juhl Sofa BO 46 BovirkeBy Finn JuhlLocated in Pawtucket, RIThe perfect Finn Juhl settee manufactured by Bovirke in 1946. Reupholstered with new Hallingdal fabric. Iconic Danish design in perfect restored condition.Category
Vintage 1940s Danish Scandinavian Modern SetteesMaterials
- Finn Juhl BO46 Sofa for Bovirke, 1946By Finn JuhlLocated in Copenhagen, DKFinn Juhl two person BO46 sofa upholstered with off-white wool, tapering legs of stained beech. Designed by Finn Juhl, 1946 and manufactured by Bovirke,...Category
Vintage 1940s Danish Scandinavian Modern Sofas
- Finn Juhl Sofa Model BO55 by Bovirke in DenmarkBy Bovirke, Finn JuhlLocated in Esbjerg, DKRare sofa model BO55 designed by Finn Juhl. Produced by Bovirke in Denmark. Legs of teak, upholstery of Hallingdal by Kvadrat.Category
Vintage 1940s Danish Scandinavian Modern SofasMaterials