- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
YVES SAINT LAURENT Ysl Stylized Initial Silver Textured Rigid Choker Necklace
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Kingersheim, France
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
About the Designer
Yves Saint Laurent
French fashion designer Yves Saint Laurent pioneered “cross-design” in fashion, taking inspiration from street trends to modernize haute couture.
Saint Laurent was the first to launch a ready-to-wear label, YSL Rive Gauche Prêt-à-Porter. He was the first couturier to open boutiques for both men and women. Using traditional menswear fabrics and designs for women, Saint Laurent also literally cross-dressed, giving men and women alike chic pant suits, elegant tuxedo jackets and urban safari gear. By blurring gender-specific design, he empowered individual style while creating a scissor-sharp fashion aesthetic of sensual ease and beauty. Many of his designs are today considered timeless classics. Saint Laurent also consistently used Black models, like Mounia, Iman and Naomi Campbell, and he drew endless inspiration from different ethnicities and cultures, in no small part because of his Algerian roots.
Born to French parents in Oran, Algeria, in 1936, Saint Laurent went to Paris at age 17 to study fashion at the Chambre Syndicale de la Haute Couture. Just two years later, in 1955, his remarkable sketches were shown to Christian Dior, then the world’s reigning couturier, who hired him immediately.
Surprisingly soon thereafter, Dior publicly chose Saint Laurent as his successor, which sadly proved prescient when the fashion legend died unexpectedly, in 1957. A mere slip of a youth, the 21-year-old Saint Laurent was nevertheless up to the challenge. He shook the traditional couture clientele to its core with youthful silhouettes and styles like the A-line trapeze dress that hung with seeming effortlessness from the shoulders, the antithesis of the pinched waists and molded skirts that had been all the rage after the deprivations of World War II.
After a mandated spell in the torturous French military, Saint Laurent suffered a nervous breakdown and was dismissed by Dior in 1962. Out of the ashes rose the Age of Yves. With Pierre Bergé, his then-lover who became his lifelong business partner and friend, the designer founded Yves Saint Laurent YSL to encompass prêt-à-porter, or ready-to-wear. In 1966, they opened the first YSL Rive Gauche women’s boutique in Paris, followed soon thereafter by YSL Rive Gauche for men. Saint Laurent had given birth to a global brand.
His revolutionary Mondrian mini dress from 1965 is a core element of his fashion biography. It is a prime example of how Saint Laurent, an avid art lover and collector, looked to painters, from Goya to Picasso, Ingres to Matisse, for inspiration.
With its pure lines and hues, Mondrian’s ground-breaking 1935 color-block painting Composition C transmutes beautifully into a dress that is highly valued by collectors of contemporary fashion and widely copied commercially to this day. The design is the epitome of Saint Laurent’s aesthetic, requiring a meticulous hand piecing of each color block so that, despite the body’s curves, the visual plane is as flat as a canvas when the garment is worn. Mondrian’s purity met its match in Saint Laurent.
“I am no longer concerned with sensation and innovation, but with the perfection of my style,” Saint Laurent said four years before retiring, in 2002. After a long period of ill health, he died at his home in Paris on June 1, 2008.
- Vintage YVES SAINT LAURENT Ysl Neon Space Age Woven Passementerie BeltBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage YVES SAINT LAURENT Ysl Neon Space Age Woven Passementerie Belt Measurements: Buckle Diameter: 3.18 inches (8.1 cm) Strap Height: 2.55 inches (6.5 cm) Wearable Length: 25.78 ...Category
1980s French Belts
- Vintage YVES SAINT LAURENT Ysl Red Mandarin Collar JacketBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage YVES SAINT LAURENT Ysl Red Mandarin Collar Jacket Measurements taken laid flat: Shoulder: 16.14 inches (41 cm) Sleeves: 22.44 inches (57 cm) Bust: 20.47 inches (52 cm) Waist...Category
20th Century French Blazers
- Vintage YVES SAINT LAURENT Heart Plexiglass Black Silk Box BagBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage YVES SAINT LAURENT Heart Plexiglass Black Silk Box Bag Measurements: Height: 7 2/8 inches (top of heart to bottom) Width: 7 5/8 inches Depth: 3 6/8 inches Handle: 21 inches ...Category
20th Century French Top Handle Bags
- Vintage YVES SAINT LAURENT Ysl Heart Mesh Link BeltBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage YVES SAINT LAURENT Ysl Heart Mesh Link Belt Measurements: Heart Buckle: 2.75 inches (7 cm) Oval Links: 1.45 inches (3.7 cm) Length: 27.95 inches (71 cm) Features: - 100% Au...Category
1980s French Belts
- Vintage YVES SAINT LAURENT Ysl Wrinkled Copper Disc Link BeltBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage YVES SAINT LAURENT Ysl Wrinkled Copper Disc Link Belt Measurements: Height: 2.08 inches (5.3 cm) Total Length: 38.18 inches (97 cm) adjustable Features: - 100% Authentic YV...Category
1980s French Belts
- Vintage YVES SAINT LAURENT Chunky Chain Necklace BeltBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage YVES SAINT LAURENT Chunky Chain Necklace Belt Measurements: Height: 1 2/8 inches Wearable Length: 29 inches to 33 4/8 inches Features: - 100% Authentic YVES SAINT LAURENT. ...Category
20th Century French Belts
- Vintage Yves Saint Laurent YSL Dangling Gold Sun on Choker Circa 1980sBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in New York, NYVintage YSL Dangling Gold Sun on Choker. The Wire stretches Some. Opening is 2" Sun is 2" x 2". This is such a special piece and describes YSL perfectly. He loved the sun in his ...Category
Vintage 1980s French Artist Choker NecklacesMaterials
Mixed Metal$1,125Free Shipping
- 49.36 Carat Diamond Cluster NecklaceLocated in Miami, FLExquisite diamond cluster necklace crafted in platinum showcasing 153 mixed cut diamonds weighing approximately 49.36 carats total D-H color, VVS-SI clarity. Baguette cut diamonds ad...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Unknown Modern Choker NecklacesMaterials
- Pearl Choker-Necklace with 2 Clasps in 18k with Diamonds 5.50 Carat AdjustableLocated in Los Angeles, CAUnique and versatile 7mm pearls with diamond roundels with 2-18k yellow gold ruby and diamond clasps that can either be a 12 inch choker or a double clasp 17 inch necklace. Specifica...Category
Late 20th Century American Retro Choker NecklacesMaterials
Diamond, Pearl, Cultured Pearl, Ruby, 18k Gold$11,575 Sale Price25% OffFree Shipping
- Handmade Textured and Polished Gold Necklace 1970sLocated in New York, NYA textured and polished 18 karat gold riveted collar, unsigned, c. 1970. Comprised of handmade and attached sections of textured and polished yellow gold. Necklace measures 19" long ...Category
Vintage 1970s British Artist More NecklacesMaterials
Gold, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold$66,000Free Shipping
- Ilias Lalaounis Yellow Gold Claw Collar from Neolithic Collection 1970sBy Ilias LalaounisLocated in New York, NYA 21 karat yellow gold claw double hinged collar from the Neolithic collection, by Ilias Lalaounis c. 1970. Vintage jewelry. The collar has an internal circumference of 15.5", and...Category
Vintage 1970s Modernist Choker NecklacesMaterials
Yellow Gold, Gold$34,200Free Shipping
- N.E. From Necklace of Sterling Silver Danish Design 1970sLocated in bronshoj, DKN.E. From necklace of sterling silver. Danish design 1970s. Neckring diameter 13.5 to 14.5 cm. In perfect condition. Marked.Category
Vintage 1970s Danish Modern Choker Necklaces$500Free Shipping
Recently ViewedView More
The Stories behind the Most Famous Luxury Fashion Logos
From Chanel to YSL, the logos of some legacy fashion houses spark instant brand recognition and have come to symbolize a kind of luxury that feels at once aspirational and attainable.
14 Iconic Luxury Handbags and the Stories behind Them
When the name of a bag is as well-known as its brand, you know it's a classic.