Vintage Aldo Cipullo Necklace 18k Gold Chrysoprase Lapis Lazuli Estate Jewelry
About the Item
- Stone Cut:
- Weight:172.6 g
- Dimensions:Width: 1.5 in (38.1 mm)Length: 21.5 in (546.1 mm)
- Place of Origin:United States
- Date of Manufacture:1970s
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:Beverly Hills, CA
- Reference Number:Seller: NTOOO 10-221stDibs: LU6917398932
In a jewelry-design career spanning just over two decades, Aldo Cipullo created a portfolio of iconic pieces. And decades after his death, his most famous, the Cartier Love bracelet, remains a best seller.
A life devoted to jewelry seemed preordained for Cipullo, who was born in Naples in 1935 and raised in Rome. His father, Giuseppe, manufactured costume jewelry, and Cipullo, the eldest of five siblings, began selling goods for the family business at age 15.
In 1959, Cipullo left postwar Italy for New York City. He had found the right place at the right time to ply his prodigious talent and navigated between some of the most prestigious jewelers situated on the city’s most glittering thoroughfares, 57th Street and Fifth Avenue. Cipullo’s first stop was the workshop of David Webb, a favorite among the mid-century beau monde. Webb, who was one of America’s most influential and best-loved jewelry designers, became a mentor for the new arrival, advising him to call himself a designer despite his bench jeweler job description.
Tiffany & Co. came next. Cipullo alighted at the design studio in 1964, becoming — along with Sonia Younis, Don Berg and Donald Claflin — part of a youthquake that brought fresh ideas to the stately American brand.
At Tiffany, Cipullo came into his own as a designer with an original point of view, developing a facility across a broad swathe of motifs and inspirations that included lifelike florals, stylized African animals and masks, modern geometries — and hardware, expressed in a series of key-shaped brooches that offer the first glimpse of a theme he would return to later. By the end of the 1960s, he was designing some of Tiffany’s crown jewels, pieces in its Blue Book high-jewelry collection, often using lapis, coral or turquoise. These colorful opaque gems were among the materials that would become hallmarks of his work.
According to the designer’s brother Renato Cipullo — a coauthor with jewelry journalist Vivienne Becker on Cipullo: Making Jewelry Modern (Assouline) — when the term of a two-year contract with Tiffany neared its end in 1969, the brand passed on a gold bracelet design Aldo presented to the house. Though Tiffany wasn’t ready to raise Cipullo’s profile, another suitor would soon pick up the piece and give it, and in turn Cipullo, a major public platform. He struck a deal with Michael Thomas, president of Cartier New York, to carry some of his designs — including the new bracelet — exclusively.
Becker recounts the history of the Cartier Love bracelet in the book: Cipullo frequently said that the Love bracelet was born of a sleepless night contemplating a love affair gone wrong and his realization that “the only remnants he possessed of the romance were memories.” He distilled the urge to keep a loved one close into a slim 18-karat gold bangle. The Love bracelet combined hardware with elements of symbolic Victorian jewelry and the chastity belt, plus the ritual of meaningful adornment.
The bracelet, along with its designer, was just the tonic that Cartier needed at the start of the 1970s, a moment when the venerable brand was seeking an injection of youthful jet-set glamour. Cipullo’s winning streak with the brand continued, even as he designed for his own studio, Aldo Cipullo Ltd., which he established in the early part of the decade.
The Love design — which also yielded a ring and a necklace — was not Cipullo’s sole hardware-inspired jewelry for Cartier; his unisex Juste un Clou (“just a nail”) bracelet takes the form of a curved nail. When he died, at the age of 48, from a double heart attack, Cipullo was only getting started. Nevertheless, he left a profound legacy.
Find vintage Aldo Cipullo jewelry today on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Beverly Hills, CA
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- Vintage Van Cleef & Arpels Ring Lapis Lazuli 18k Gold Estate JewelryBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in Beverly Hills, CAElegant and chic cocktail ring created by Van Cleef & Arpels in France in the 1970s. Made of 18 karat yellow gold and lapis lazuli and accented with round brilliant cut diamonds (F ...Category
Vintage 1970s French Cocktail RingsMaterials
White Diamond, Lapis Lazuli, Yellow Gold, 18k Gold
- Vintage Faraone 18k Gold Coin Necklace Gunmetal Italy Estate JewelryBy FaraoneLocated in Beverly Hills, CAA gorgeous Faraone 18k gold coin necklace with gunmetal links. The necklace comprises oval gold and gunmetal loops gathered in groups of three...Category
Vintage 1980s Italian Link NecklacesMaterials
18k Gold, Yellow Gold, 24k Gold
- Vintage Diamond 18k Yellow Gold Chain Necklace Estate JewelryLocated in Beverly Hills, CAChic necklace made of 18 karat yellow gold and round brilliant cut diamonds (G-H color, VS1 clarity, totaling 4.95 carats). Measurements: 24 x 3/4 inches (60 x 1.9 cm). Weight: 121.2...Category
Vintage 1980s Unknown Chain NecklacesMaterials
Diamond, Yellow Gold, 18k Gold
- Vintage David Webb Necklace 18k Gold Diamond Chain Estate JewelryBy David WebbLocated in Beverly Hills, CAA delicate vintage David Webb 18k gold and diamond chain necklace. Diamonds are bezel set in platinum in groups of three, twelve diamonds total. The chain is rolo link chain with a ...Category
Vintage 1980s American Chain NecklacesMaterials
Diamond, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold, Platinum
- Tubogas 18k Gold Diamond Necklace Retro French Vintage Estate JewelryLocated in Beverly Hills, CAAn elegant tubogas 18k gold necklace, featuring Old European cut diamonds. It’s a gorgeous tubogas necklace from the 1940s with the distinctive features of Retro jewelry. The piece is designed as a linear tubogas cord with two loops on each end. The loops are held by a gold band decorated with diamonds. Each loop has a gold ball set on top. A larger gold and diamond clip placed in the middle of the cord works as a clasp. The diamonds are set in platinum to emphasize their whiteness. This necklace carries French elegance and chic. The tubogas coils are buttery soft, making the necklace look fluid and sit well on the neck. Wear this stylish piece with a white shirt or a little black dress – either way you will look like a Parisian fashionista. This tubogas vintage...Category
Vintage 1950s French Choker NecklacesMaterials
Diamond, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold, Platinum
- Vintage A. Clunn Lapis Lazuli 18k Yellow Gold Earrings Enamel DiamondBy Andrew ClunnLocated in Beverly Hills, CAColorful and prominent clip-on earrings created by Andrew Clunn in the 1980's. They feature carved lapis lazuli framed in white enamel and accentuated with diamonds on the sides. Bea...Category
Vintage 1980s American Clip-on EarringsMaterials
Lapis Lazuli, White Diamond, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold
- Diamond, Lapis Lazuli Gold NecklaceLocated in New York, NYDiamond, Lapis Lazuli Gold Necklace An 18k yellow gold long necklace, set with diamond, lapis lazuli. measures approx. 18″ in length and pen...Category
Vintage 1970s French Link NecklacesMaterials
Diamond, Lapis Lazuli, Gold, 18k GoldFree Shipping
- Blue Lapis Lazuli Beaded Necklace 14K Gold VintageBy Estate JewelryLocated in East Brunswick, NJBlue Lapis Lazuli Beaded Necklace 14K Gold Vintage 32.5" Long You will treasure this outstanding vintage Lapis Lazuli solid 14K Yellow gold necklace. The gorgeous 65 great quality L...Category
Late 20th Century Beaded NecklacesMaterials
Lapis Lazuli, 14k Gold, Yellow GoldFree Shipping
- Aldo Cipullo Vintage Blue Agate Carnelian Link NecklaceBy Aldo CipulloLocated in New York, NYStep into the realm of timeless elegance with Aldo Cipullo's masterful creation, a long necklace that epitomizes the designer's ingenuity and commitment to pushing the boundaries of ...Category
20th Century American Link NecklacesMaterials
Agate, Carnelian, 18k Gold
- Vintage Teardrop Tablet Lapis Lazuli Link Collar Necklace 18 Karat Yellow GoldLocated in Scottsdale, AZBrightly colored vintage choker style necklace is stunningly simple in design, but makes a bold statement. The deep blue lapis lazuli stones paired with the warm yellow gold makes fo...Category
Mid-20th Century Unknown Contemporary Choker NecklacesMaterials
Lapis Lazuli, Gold, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold
- Lapis Lazuli Necklace Earrings Bracelet Jewelry Set in 18k Yellow GoldLocated in New York, NYIndulge in the timeless allure of our Lapis Lazuli Necklace, Earrings, and Bracelet Set - a captivating trio that merges the artistry of 18k yellow gold with the rich legacy of lapis...Category
21st Century and Contemporary American More NecklacesMaterials
Lapis Lazuli, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold
- Pallavidini Lapis Lazuli, Diamond & 18k Gold NecklaceLocated in San Francisco, CAPlayful and pretty, this 18k gold "Pallachegira" ball station necklace is designed with 12 spheres of lapis lazuli, moveable within the settings, and accented by a round brilliant-cu...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Chain NecklacesMaterials
Diamond, Lapis Lazuli, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold