- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Alvar Aalto Model 44 Lounge Chair by Artek Finland
- DimensionsHeight: 24 in (60.96 cm)Width: 24 in (60.96 cm)Depth: 33 in (83.82 cm)Seat Height: 16 in (40.64 cm)
- Sold AsSet of 2
- StyleMid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1995
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use. Excellent.
- Seller LocationLongdon, GB
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU1832327678472
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingShips From: Longdon, United Kingdom
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 14 days of delivery.
About the Designer
An architect and designer, Alvar Aalto deserves an immense share of the credit for bringing Scandinavian modernism to a prominent place in the global arena. In both his buildings and in his vintage furniture — which ranges from chairs, tables and lighting to table- and glassware — Aalto’s sensitivity to the natural world and to organic forms and materials tempered the hardness of rationalist design.
Relatively few Aalto buildings exist outside Finland. (Just four exist in the United States, and only one — the sinuous 1945 Baker House dormitory at M.I.T. — is easily visited.) International attention came to Aalto, whose surname translates to English as “wave,” primarily through his furnishings.
Instead of the tubular metal framing favored by the Bauhaus designers and Le Corbusier, Aalto insisted on wood. His aesthetic is best represented by the Paimio armchair, developed in 1930 as part of his overall design of a Finnish tuberculosis sanatorium. Comfortable, yet light enough to be easily moved by patients, the chair’s frame is composed of two laminated birch loops; the seat and back are formed from a single sheet of plywood that scrolls under at the headrest and beneath the knees, creating a sort of pillow effect. Aalto’s use of plywood had enormous influence on Charles and Ray Eames, Arne Jacobsen, Marcel Breuer and others who later came to the material.
Concerned with keeping up standards of quality in the production of his designs, Aalto formed the still-extant company Artek in 1935, along with his wife, Aino Aalto, whose glass designs were made by the firm. In the latter medium, in 1936 the Aaltos together created the iconic, undulating Savoy vase, so-called for the luxe Helsinki restaurant for which the piece was designed.
Artek also produced Aalto pendants and other lighting designs, many of which — such as the Angel’s Wing floor lamp and the Beehive pendant — incorporate a signature Aalto detail: shades made of concentric enameled-metal rings graduated down in diameter. The effect of the technique is essential Alvar Aalto: at once precise, simple, and somehow poetic.
- Pair of Early Alvar Aalto Tank Chairs Model 400 by Artek Finland circa 1940By Artek, Alvar AaltoLocated in Longdon, TewkesburyPair of Early Alvar Aalto Tank Chairs Model 400 by Artek Finland Circa 1940? Magnificent and rare pair of early twentieth century 'Tank' Model 400 armchairs, designed by Alvar Aal...Category
Vintage 1940s Norwegian Mid-Century Modern ArmchairsMaterials
- Alvar Aalto Model 401 Lounge Chair in Bouclé Finland circa 1938 No 2By Alvar AaltoLocated in Longdon, TewkesburyAlvar Aalto Model 401 lounge chair in Bouclé Finland Circa 1938 No: 2 Alvar Aalto Model 401 lounge chair Finland Circa 1938, the cantilevered birch ’S' shaped frame upholstered in...Category
Vintage 1930s Finnish Mid-Century Modern ArmchairsMaterials
Bouclé, Birch$2,633 Sale Price20% Off
- Alvar Aalto Model 21 Cantilever Side Chairs by Finmar, Pair, Finland, circa 1935By Alvar Aalto, FinmarLocated in Longdon, TewkesburyAlvar Aalto model 21 cantilever side chairs by Finmar, pair, Finland, circa 1935 Pair of Alvar Aalto model 21 cantilever side chairs for Finmar, Finland, circa 1935, bent laminate...Category
Mid-20th Century Finnish Mid-Century Modern ChairsMaterials
Beech$11,538 Sale Price / set29% Off
- Ole Wanscher Model 149 Rosewood Colonial Chair by Poul Jeppesens, DenmarkBy Ole Wanscher, Poul JeppesenLocated in Longdon, TewkesburyOle Wanscher Model 149 rosewood Colonial chair by Poul Jeppesens Denmark circa 1950 Magnificent mid century Ole Wanscher Model 149 'Colonial' chair in Brazilian Rosewood for cabin...Category
Vintage 1950s Danish Mid-Century Modern ArmchairsMaterials
Leather, Rosewood$9,668 Sale Price20% Off
- Marcel Breuer B3 Wassily Lounge Chair by Knoll, Circa 1970By Marcel Breuer, KnollLocated in Longdon, TewkesburyMarcel Breuer B3 Wassily lounge chair by Knoll, Circa 1970. Magnificent Marcel Breuer Wassily lounge chair by Knoll circa 1970, the chair with top quality tan saddle leather strap...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern ArmchairsMaterials
- Alvar Aalto Dining Table & Six Chairs by Finmar, Circa 1940By Finmar, Alvar AaltoLocated in Longdon, TewkesburyAlvar Aalto Model 91 dining table & six chairs by Finmar Circa 1940. ‘Best in Class' Alvar Aalto Model 91 dining table & Six Model 611 Dining Chairs by Finmar Ltd Finland circa 19...Category
Vintage 1940s Finnish Mid-Century Modern Dining Room SetsMaterials
You May Also Like
Vintage 1970s Finnish Mid-Century Modern Armchairs
Vintage 1970s Finnish Scandinavian Modern Lounge Chairs
Vintage 1970s Finnish Scandinavian Modern Wingback Chairs
Vintage 1940s Finnish Scandinavian Modern Lounge Chairs
Vintage 1930s Finnish Scandinavian Modern Lounge Chairs
Vintage 1930s Finnish Scandinavian Modern Armchairs
Vintage 1960s Finnish Scandinavian Modern Lounge Chairs
Vintage 1940s Finnish Mid-Century Modern Lounge Chairs
Vintage 1970s Finnish Organic Modern Lounge Chairs
Vintage 1930s Finnish Scandinavian Modern Armchairs
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery