- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Alvar Aalto Model 65 Dining Chairs by Artek Finland, circa 1950s
- DesignChair 65L-Leg Series
- DimensionsHeight: 26 in. (66.04 cm)Width: 15.75 in. (40.01 cm)Depth: 14.5 in. (36.83 cm)Seat Height: 17 in. (43.18 cm)
- Sold AsSet of 4
- StyleMid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1956
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use.
- Seller LocationLongdon, GB
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU1832316942731
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRates vary by destination and complexity. We recommend this shipping type based on item size, type and fragility.Customs Duties & Taxes May Apply.Ships From: Longdon, United Kingdom
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 14 days of delivery.
About the Designer
An architect and designer, Alvar Aalto deserves an immense share of the credit for bringing Scandinavian modernism to a prominent place in the global arena. In both his buildings and in his furnishings — which range from chairs, tables and lighting to table- and glassware — Aalto’s sensitivity to the natural world and to organic forms and materials tempered the hardness of rationalist design.
Relatively few Aalto buildings exist outside Finland. (Just four exist in the United States, and only one — the sinuous 1945 Baker House dormitory at M.I.T. — is easily visited.) International attention came to Aalto, whose surname translates to English as “wave,” primarily through his furniture.
Instead of the tubular metal framing favored by the Bauhaus designers and Le Corbusier, Aalto insisted on wood. His aesthetic is best represented by the Paimio armchair, developed in 1930 as part of his overall design of a Finnish tuberculosis sanatorium. Comfortable, yet light enough to be easily moved by patients, the chair’s frame is composed of two laminated birch loops; the seat and back are formed from a single sheet of plywood that scrolls under at the headrest and beneath the knees, creating a sort of pillow effect. Aalto’s use of plywood had enormous influence on Charles Eames, Arne Jacobsen, Marcel Breuer and others who later came to the material.
Concerned with keeping up standards of quality in the production of his designs, Aalto formed the still-extant company Artek in 1935, along with his wife, Aino Aalto, whose glass designs were made by the firm. In the latter medium, in 1936 the Aaltos together created the iconic, undulating Savoy vase, so-called for the luxe Helsinki restaurant for which the piece was designed. Artek also produced Aalto lighting designs, many of which — such as the Angel’s Wing floor lamp and the Beehive pendant — incorporate a signature Aalto detail: shades made of concentric enameled-metal rings graduated down in diameter. The effect of the technique is essential Alvar Aalto: at once precise, simple, and somehow poetic.
- By Alvar Aalto, ArtekLocated in Longdon, TewkesburyAlvar Aalto Zebra Tank chairs model 400 by Artek, Finland, circa 1970 Magnificent mid-20th century 'Tank' Mod...Category
Mid-20th Century Finnish Mid-Century Modern ArmchairsMaterials
- By Artek, Alvar AaltoLocated in Longdon, TewkesburyPair of Early Alvar Aalto Tank Chairs Model 400 by Artek Finland Circa 1940? Magnificent and rare pair of ear...Category
Vintage 1940s Norwegian Mid-Century Modern ArmchairsMaterials
- By Artek, Alvar AaltoLocated in Longdon, TewkesburyAlvar Aalto Model 401 armchairs matching pair Artek midcentury design Finland Magnificent midcentury design m...Category
2010s Finnish Mid-Century Modern ArmchairsMaterials
- By Finmar, Alvar AaltoLocated in Longdon, TewkesburyAlvar Aalto model 21 cantilever side chairs by Finmar, pair, Finland, circa 1935 Pair of Alvar Aalto model 21...Category
Mid-20th Century Finnish Mid-Century Modern ChairsMaterials
- By Alvar AaltoLocated in Longdon, TewkesburyAlvar Aalto Model 401 lounge chair in Bouclé Finland Circa 1938 No: 2 Alvar Aalto Model 401 lounge chair Finl...Category
Vintage 1930s Finnish Mid-Century Modern ArmchairsMaterials
- By Giuseppe ScapinelliLocated in Longdon, TewkesburyGuiseppe Scapinelli Brazilan Rosewood dining chairs Brazil 1950s Sublime set of six Guiseppe Scapinelli Brazi...Category
Vintage 1950s Brazilian Mid-Century Modern ChairsMaterials
You May Also Like
Vintage 1950s Finnish Mid-Century Modern Chairs
Vintage 1940s Finnish Scandinavian Modern Dining Room Chairs
Vintage 1950s Finnish Scandinavian Modern Chairs
Vintage 1950s Finnish Scandinavian Modern Stools
Vintage 1940s Finnish Mid-Century Modern Dining Room Chairs
Plywood, Upholstery, Leather
Vintage 1950s Finnish Chairs
Faux Leather, Beech
Early 2000s Finnish Mid-Century Modern Dining Room Chairs
Vintage 1940s Finnish Mid-Century Modern Chairs
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Insured Global Delivery