- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Set of 6 Hans J. Wegner PP 203 Armchair Dining Chair by PP Mobler
About the Item
- Creator:Hans J. Wegner (Designer),PP Møbler (Manufacturer)
- Dimensions:Height: 27.96 in (71 cm)Width: 22.84 in (58 cm)Depth: 19.69 in (50 cm)Seat Height: 16.93 in (43 cm)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1969
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:Aachen, DE
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU6944230399702
Hans J. Wegner
Best known for his chairs and seating pieces — though a master of many furniture types like sofas and tables — Hans Wegner was a prolific designer whose elegant, often ebullient, forms and devotion to the finest methods in joinery made "Danish Modern" a popular byword for stylish, well-made furniture in the mid-20th century.
Wegner considered himself a carpenter first and a furniture designer second. Like his peers Arne Jacobsen and Finn Juhl, Wegner believed that striking aesthetics in furniture were based on a foundation of practicality: a chair must be comfortable and sturdy before it is chic.
In keeping with that tenet, several of Wegner’s best chair designs, seen in dealer listings below, have their roots in traditional seating forms. The Peacock chair (designed in 1947) is a throne-like adaptation of the Windsor chair; pieces from the China chair series (begun in 1944) as well as the 1949 Wishbone chair, with its distinctive Y-shaped back splat, are derived from 17th-century Ming seating pieces, as is the upholstered Ox chair (1960). Wegner’s comfy Papa Bear chair (1951) is an almost surreally re-scaled English wingback chair.
Wegner’s most representative piece, the Round chair (1949), gained a footnote in political history when it was used on the TV stage of the first Kennedy-Nixon debate of 1960. That chair, along with Wegner’s more bravura designs, for example the 1963 Shell chair, with its curved surfboard-shaped seat, bring a quietly sculptural presence to a room. Wegner was a designer who revered his primary material — wood — and it shows. His wood gathers patina and character with age; every Hans Wegner piece testifies to the life it has led.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Herzogenrath, Germany
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- Vitra EA108 Aluminium Chair by Charles Eames Netweave, Set of 8By Vitra, Charles and Ray EamesLocated in Aachen, NWNicwe set of 8 black netweave chairs model EA108 produced by Vitra. The chairs features a polished aluminium frame and are all made in 2014. The set is perfect useable in a dining...Category
2010s German ChairsMaterials
- Adam Chair by IB Kofod Larsen for Mogens Kold DenmarkBy Mogens Kold Møbelfabrik, Ib Kofod-LarsenLocated in Aachen, NWRare Adam chair by IB Kofod Larsen for Mogens Kold Mobelfabrik Denmark. Designed in 1958 and produced in the early 1960s. Early edition with wonderful black leather upholstery an...Category
Vintage 1950s Danish Lounge ChairsMaterials
- 10x FK6725 Bird Tulip Chair by Fabricius & Kastholm Kill International 1960sBy Jørgen Kastholm & Preben Fabricius, Alfred Kill InternationalLocated in Aachen, NWThese early examples of the FK6725 high back executive chairs were designed by Jorgen Kastholm & Preben Fabricius in the early 60s and produced by Kill International in the late 1960s. The so called...Category
Vintage 1960s German ChairsMaterials
- Ultra Rare 30th Knoll Anniversary Limited Edition Barcelona Chair No 45 & No 81By Ludwig Mies van der RoheLocated in Aachen, NWThese very rare Barcelona chairs were designed by Mies van der Rohe in 1929 and produced by Knoll in 1981 for the 30th anniversary of Knoll International. With this backround, Kn...Category
Vintage 1980s German ChairsMaterials
- Very Rare Gaetano Pesce Dining Set, Sansone 1 Table & 6x Dalila Chairs CassinaBy Cassina, Gaetano PesceLocated in Aachen, NWVery rare dining room set by Gaetano Pesce featuring 6x chairs model Dalila and a table model Sansone I. Made by Polyurethane and urethane resin, C...Category
Vintage 1980s Italian Dining Room SetsMaterials
Resin$96,000 Sale Price / set20% Off
- Pair of Early Barcelona Chair by Mies Van Der Rohe by Stiegler 1950sBy Ludwig Mies van der RoheLocated in Aachen, NWThese rare Barcelona chairs were designed by Mies van der Rohe in 1929 for the famous Barcelona pavillon and produced by Stiegler in the 1950s. Stiegler was a small company who c...Category
Vintage 1950s German Bauhaus Lounge ChairsMaterials
Stainless Steel$14,400 Sale Price / set20% Off
- Hans J. Wegner Pair of Armchairs Model PP 203 of Solid Mahogany by PP MøblerBy Hans J. Wegner, PP MøblerLocated in Aarhus C, DKPair of armchairs model PP 203 by Danish designer Hans J. Wegner in 1969 and manufactured by PP Furniture. The armchairs are made of solid mahogany with oil...Category
Mid-20th Century Danish Mid-Century Modern ArmchairsMaterials
- Hans Wegner PP51/3 V Chair PP Mobler, Denmark, 1988By PP Møbler, Hans J. WegnerLocated in Roosendaal, Noord BrabantRare set of 4 chairs model PP51/3 or the so called V chair designed by Hans J. Wegner and manufactured by PP Mobler, Denmark 1988. Between 1952-53 Wegner de...Category
Vintage 1980s Danish Scandinavian Modern ChairsMaterials
- PP518 Limited Production Bullhorn Chair Set of 8 by Hans J. Wegner for PP MøblerBy Hans J. Wegner, PP MøblerLocated in Sagaponack, NYA very limited production teak Bullhorn chair by Hans J Wegner with a rosewood splined backrest and black leather seat. Available as a set of 8 chairs. Designed in 1961, limited prod...Category
Vintage 1960s Danish Scandinavian Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Hans Wegner Pair of Armchairs, Model PP-201By Hans J. WegnerLocated in San Francisco, CAHans J. Wegner pair of oak armchairs, model PP-201. Oak with papercord seats, top rails with wengé inlays. Designed in 1969. Produced by PP Møbler, model PP 201. Literature: 'Wegner's 100 chairs...Category
Vintage 1960s Danish Scandinavian Modern ArmchairsMaterials
Papercord, Oak$7,500 / set
- Danish Modern Hans Wegner PP52 ArmchairBy Hans J. Wegner, PP MøblerLocated in Minneapolis, MN“Captains Chair” designed by Hans Wegner. Model PP52 produced by PP Mobler. A newer production made of lacquered oak and wenge with a black leather upholstered seat. Circa 2001. Pro...Category
Mid-20th Century Scandinavian Scandinavian Modern ArmchairsMaterials
- Set of 6 Danish PP501 Round Chairs in Ash by Hans J. Wegner for PP MøblerBy Hans J. WegnerLocated in Sagaponack, NYA set of 6 custom height PP501 round chairs with sculpted back and arms in ash with a caned seat.Category
2010s Danish Scandinavian Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
Recently ViewedView More
Design Icon Ilse Crawford on Her Colorful New Hans Wegner Chairs
If anyone is brave, humble and adept enough to recolor these mid-century masterpieces, it’s Ilse Crawford. Here, she gives us the details on her five earthy paint choices and tells us how she feels about design collaborations.
The 16 Most Popular Mid-Century Modern Chairs
You know the designs, now get the stories about to how they came to be.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery