10 Jens Risom Side Chairs for Knoll
About the Item
- Creator:Jens Risom (Designer),Knoll (Manufacturer)
- Dimensions:Height: 30.6 in (77.73 cm)Width: 17.25 in (43.82 cm)Depth: 18 in (45.72 cm)Seat Height: 17.75 in (45.09 cm)
- Style:Scandinavian Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:2014
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:Los Angeles, CA
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU1374220535852
The Danish-born Jens Risom brought the Scandinavian modern design sensibility to a wide audience in the United States. As the first designer for Knoll Inc., Risom introduced American buyers to the region’s enduring design values of simplicity, grace and craftsmanship.
Risom trained in furniture making at the Copenhagen School of Industrial Arts and Design under Ole Wanscher, alongside classmates Hans Wegner and Børge Mogensen. In 1939, a year after graduating from business school, Risom decided to move to the U.S.
While working for an interior designer in New York in 1941, he met Hans Knoll, and the businessman and the designer hit it off. They brought out their first line the next year, despite wartime materials restrictions. The signature piece — now a design icon — was a lounge chair with a striking, undulant birch frame and a seat made of webbed sub-military grade parachute straps. Risom was drafted into the army, and served as a translator under General George Patton. When he returned from the war, Risom clashed over furniture design ideals with his business partner’s new bride, Florence Knoll, the pioneering mid-century modernist who was schooled in the Bauhaus method, which favored furniture with strict, geometric metal frames. Risom then started his own company, Jens Risom Design.
In the course of his long career, Risom developed a stylistic vocabulary that was a reflection of the life of the man himself: his furniture has Danish warmth coupled with an American air of crisp efficiency. Vintage Risom chairs are almost instantly recognizable — the arms and seat backs are set at a distinctive angle that seems to invite people to sit back and relax, yet they know they can hop up in an instant, ready to go.
As you will see on these pages, Jens Risom is one of the great men of American modern design who made furniture that is unique and timeless.
Find a collection of vintage Jens Risom furniture on 1stDibs that includes lounge chairs, desks, coffee tables and more.
As a company that produced many of the most famous and iconic furniture designs of the 20th century, Knoll was a chief influence in the rise of modern design in the United States. Led by Florence Knoll, the firm would draw stellar talents such as Ludwig Mies van der Rohe and Eero Saarinen into its compass. Their work would help change the face of the American home and office.
The company was formed in 1938 by the German immigrant Hans Knoll. He first worked with his fellow ex-pat, the Danish designer Jens Risom, who created furniture with flowing lines made of wood. While Risom served in World War II, in 1943 Knoll met his future wife, Florence Schust. She had studied and worked with eminent emigré leaders of the Bauhaus, including Mies, Walter Gropius and Marcel Breuer. She won Knoll over with Bauhaus notions of industrial arts, and an aesthetic that featured flat and tubular metal frames and angular forms. When Hans died in a car crash in 1955, Florence Knoll was appointed head of the company. It was as much through her holistic approach to design — a core division of the firm was dedicated to planning office systems — as Knoll's mid-century modern furnishings themselves that she brought about the sleek and efficient transformation of the American workplace.
Today, classic Knoll furnishings remain staples of modern design collections and decor. A history of modern design is written in pieces such as the elegant Barcelona chair — created by Mies and Lilly Reich — Saarinen’s pedestal Tulip chair, Breuer’s tubular steel Wassily lounge chair and the grid-patterned Diamond chair by Harry Bertoia.
As you can see from the collection of these designs and other vintage Knoll dining chairs, sofas and tables on 1stDibs, this manufacturer's offerings have become timeless emblems of the progressive spirit and sleek sophistication of the best of modernism.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Los Angeles, CA
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 7 days of delivery.
- Pair of Jens Risom 666 Side Chairs for KnollBy Jens Risom, KnollLocated in Los Angeles, CARare Jens Risom chairs made in the 1940s, model “666” of the 600 series from 1941.Category
Vintage 1940s American Mid-Century Modern Side ChairsMaterials
Birch$2,250 / set
- Set of Four Red Mikado 1800 Side Chairs by Walter Leeman for Kusch + CoBy Kusch+Co, Walter LeemanLocated in Los Angeles, CAA set of vintage post-modern Mikado 1800 stacking side chairs designed by Walter Leeman for the German furniture company Kusch+Co. Chrome steel legs a...Category
Vintage 1970s German Post-Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- 10 Niels O. Møller Dining Chairs Model 71 by J.L. Møllers Møbelfabrik in DenmarkBy Niels Otto MøllerLocated in Los Angeles, CA10 teak dining chairs designed by Niels Otto Møller for J. L. Møllers Møbelfabrik. The model 71 dates to 1968 and is an exceptional chair offerin...Category
Vintage 1960s Danish Scandinavian Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- 10 Charles Pollock Executive Desk Chairs for KnollBy Charles Pollock, KnollLocated in Los Angeles, CASet of 10 vintage Charles Pollock executive desk chair for Knoll. The ultimate ergonomic, office desk chair designed by this George Nelson apprentice, Charles Pollock. Sold separately.Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern Office Chairs and Desk ChairsMaterials
Leather$1,650 / item
- Danish Teak Dining Chairs by Erik Ole Jørgensen for Tarm StoleBy Erik Ole Jørgensen, Tarm StoleLocated in Los Angeles, CADanish teak dining chairs by Erik Ole Jørgensen for Tarm Stole, 1960s.Category
Vintage 1970s Danish Scandinavian Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Edward Wormley for Dunbar Dining ChairsBy Dunbar Furniture, Edward WormleyLocated in Los Angeles, CAThis is a rare set of 10 Edward Wormley for Dunbar Dining chairs in great condition. Upholstery as found, re-upholstery available.Category
Vintage 1970s American Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
Mahogany$5,250 Sale Price / set50% Off
- Set of Three Jens Risom for Knoll Webbed Wood Side ChairsBy Jens Risom, KnollLocated in Miami, FLSet of three blueberry nylon webbed chairs with maple frames designed by Jens Risom for Knoll.Category
1990s American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
Nylon, Wood$1,920 Sale Price / set20% Off
- Mid Century Jens Risom Knoll Side Dining Room Chairs Model 666By Jens Risom, KnollLocated in Baltimore, MDSpectacular set of 10 beautifully, ebonized, dining room chairs model "666" of the "600" a model introduced by Knoll Associates in 1941, by iconic designer Jens Risom for Knoll manuf...Category
Vintage 1940s American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Early Jens Risom Side Chair for KnollBy Jens RisomLocated in Chicago, ILDesigned for Knoll by Jens Risom in 1943. Basket-woven parachute straps.Category
Vintage 1940s American Mid-Century Modern Side ChairsMaterials
- Pair of Six Jens Risom Side/Dining Room Chairs Model 666 for Walter Knoll 1950sBy Jens Risom, KnollLocated in Almelo, NLPair of six Jens Risom side / dining room chairs model 666 for Walter Knoll. Model in solid oak and braided polyvinyl strips. These chairs are in original and untouched condition, ...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Jens Risom Mid Century Dining Side Chairs, Set of 4By Jens RisomLocated in Countryside, ILJens Risom mid century dining side chairs - Set of 4 Each chair measures: 24 wide x 21 deep x 31 high, with a seat height of 16 inches All pieces of furniture can be had in what ...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Jens Risom Designed Dining ChairsBy Jens RisomLocated in Brooklyn, NYSet of six Mid-Century Modern dining chairs by Jens Risom. Super comfortable "S" shaped seat and back on tapered maple wood legs. Armchairs: 23w, 23d, 34h Side chairs: 19w, 23d, 34...Category
Mid-20th Century Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
Fabric$2,800 / set
- Isamu Kenmochi Coffee TableBy Isamu KenmochiLocated in San Francisco, CAA coffee table by Isamu Kenmochi in bent Brazilian rosewood with curved legs. Signed with applied manufacturer's label to underside: [Tendo]. Literature: Japanese Modern, Mori, pg. 143.Category
Vintage 1960s Japanese Mid-Century Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
RosewoodPrice Upon Request
- Hermes Birkin 30 Orange Crocodile Bag Palladium HardwareBy HermèsLocated in Miami, FLMightychic offers a Niloticus Crocodile Hermes Birkin 30 bag featured in Orange. Fresh palladium hardware accentuates this gorgeous orange crocodile H...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Top Handle Bags
- 21st Century Le Nuvole Sofà White S. Giobbi for Giovannetti CollezioniLocated in Casalguidi, ITSeat and backrest with wooden structure in multilayers and stell- Seat and backrest padding in polyurethane foam of different layers covered with tissue and synthetic fiber for bette...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Modern SofasMaterials
- GLASS SHELVES #1 '1976', by Shiro Kuramata for Glas ItaliaBy Shiro Kuramata, Glas ItaliaLocated in Macherio, ITGlass Shelves #1 (1976) Shelves is shown here in the transparent glass. Bookcase characterised by the extraordinary formal cleanness and the golden proportions, entirely realized in ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Modern ShelvesMaterials
- Vintage Solitaire Cushion Shape Old Mine Diamond Ring, French, circa 1950Located in London, GBVintage solitaire cushion shape old mine diamond ring. Set with one central cushion shape old mine diamond, M colour, VS2 clarity, with an approximate weight of 3.01 carats, in an op...Category
Vintage 1950s French Solitaire RingsMaterials
Diamond, White Gold, Yellow Gold$46,665Free Shipping
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery