- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Set of 4 Alvar Aalto "Model 66" Red Seat Dining Chairs for Artek
- DesignChair 66L-Leg Series
- DimensionsHeight: 30.5 in. (77.47 cm)Width: 15.375 in. (39.06 cm)Depth: 17.75 in. (45.09 cm)Seat Height: 17.5 in. (44.45 cm)
- Sold AsSet of 4
- StyleMid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1970s
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use. Minor losses. Minor fading.
- Seller LocationLos Angeles, CA
- Reference NumberSeller: S463 A41stDibs: LU922422393312
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRates vary by destination and complexity. We recommend this shipping type based on item size, type and fragility.Ships From: Los Angeles, CA
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 7 days of delivery.
About Alvar Aalto (Designer)
An architect and designer, Alvar Aalto deserves an immense share of the credit for bringing Scandinavian modernism to a prominent place in the global arena. In both his buildings and in his furnishings — which range from chairs, tables and lighting to table- and glassware — Aalto’s sensitivity to the natural world and to organic forms and materials tempered the hardness of rationalist design.
Relatively few Aalto buildings exist outside Finland. (Just four exist in the United States, and only one — the sinuous 1945 Baker House dormitory at M.I.T. — is easily visited.) International attention came to Aalto, whose surname translates to English as “wave,” primarily through his furniture.
Instead of the tubular metal framing favored by the Bauhaus designers and Le Corbusier, Aalto insisted on wood. His aesthetic is best represented by the Paimio armchair, developed in 1930 as part of his overall design of a Finnish tuberculosis sanatorium. Comfortable, yet light enough to be easily moved by patients, the chair’s frame is composed of two laminated birch loops; the seat and back are formed from a single sheet of plywood that scrolls under at the headrest and beneath the knees, creating a sort of pillow effect. Aalto’s use of plywood had enormous influence on Charles Eames, Arne Jacobsen, Marcel Breuer and others who later came to the material.
Concerned with keeping up standards of quality in the production of his designs, Aalto formed the still-extant company Artek in 1935, along with his wife, Aino Aalto, whose glass designs were made by the firm. In the latter medium, in 1936 the Aaltos together created the iconic, undulating Savoy vase, so-called for the luxe Helsinki restaurant for which the piece was designed. Artek also produced Aalto lighting designs, many of which — such as the Angel’s Wing floor lamp and the Beehive pendant — incorporate a signature Aalto detail: shades made of concentric enameled-metal rings graduated down in diameter. The effect of the technique is essential Alvar Aalto: at once precise, simple, and somehow poetic.
- By Alvar Aalto, ArtekLocated in Los Angeles, CASet of 4 Alvar Aalto model 65 low back birch dining chairs for Artek. In original condition with visible wear. S...Category
Vintage 1970s Finnish Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- By Alvar Aalto, ArtekLocated in Los Angeles, CAAlvar Aalto for Artek dining table model 81C and 6 side chairs model 66, all red topped. Stamped with Schiang, t...Category
Vintage 1970s Finnish Mid-Century Modern Dining Room SetsMaterials
PlywoodOn Hold$3,450 / set
- By Artek, Alvar AaltoLocated in Los Angeles, CAAlvar Aalto model 406 lounge chairs. Bent natural wood frames with woven canvas strapped seating. In original co...Category
Vintage 1980s Finnish Mid-Century Modern ChairsMaterials
Bentwood, Canvas$1,250 / item
- By Ilmari TapiovaaraLocated in Los Angeles, CAMidcentury Tapiovaara style spindle back dining chairs with clean lines with bowed back rest. In good overall co...Category
Vintage 1960s Dutch Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
Wood$295 / item
- Located in Los Angeles, CAHandsome reddish teak toned shell seating with teal blue enameled metal frame. Most retain original side hooks f...Category
Vintage 1960s Dutch Mid-Century Modern ChairsMaterials
- By Claire Bataille and Paul Ibens, 't Spectrum BergeijkLocated in Los Angeles, CARare set of Claire Bataille and Paul Ibens Model SE18 leather dining chairs for 't Spectrum, Netherlands, 1971. ...Category
Vintage 1970s Dutch Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
You May Also Like
Vintage 1940s Finnish Mid-Century Modern Dining Room Chairs
Plywood, Upholstery, Leather
Vintage 1930s Finnish Scandinavian Modern Chairs
Vintage 1930s Finnish Modern Dining Room Chairs
Vintage 1930s Finnish Mid-Century Modern Side Chairs
Vintage 1940s Finnish Scandinavian Modern Dining Room Chairs
Vintage 1930s Swedish Scandinavian Modern Chairs
20th Century Swedish Chairs
Vintage 1950s Finnish Mid-Century Modern Chairs