- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Birch Wingback Lounge Chair by Alvar Aalto for Artek
- DimensionsHeight: 39 in. (99.06 cm)Width: 24.5 in. (62.23 cm)Depth: 26.5 in. (67.31 cm)
- StyleScandinavian Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1940s
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use. upholstery required.
- Seller LocationSagaponack, NY
- Reference NumberSeller: 10361.0011stDibs: LU890318009782
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRates vary by destination and complexity. We recommend this shipping type based on item size, type and fragility.Ships From: Sagaponack, NY
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
About Alvar Aalto (Designer)
An architect and designer, Alvar Aalto deserves an immense share of the credit for bringing Scandinavian modernism to a prominent place in the global arena. In both his buildings and in his furnishings — which range from chairs, tables and lighting to table- and glassware — Aalto’s sensitivity to the natural world and to organic forms and materials tempered the hardness of rationalist design.
Relatively few Aalto buildings exist outside Finland. (Just four exist in the United States, and only one — the sinuous 1945 Baker House dormitory at M.I.T. — is easily visited.) International attention came to Aalto, whose surname translates to English as “wave,” primarily through his furniture.
Instead of the tubular metal framing favored by the Bauhaus designers and Le Corbusier, Aalto insisted on wood. His aesthetic is best represented by the Paimio armchair, developed in 1930 as part of his overall design of a Finnish tuberculosis sanatorium. Comfortable, yet light enough to be easily moved by patients, the chair’s frame is composed of two laminated birch loops; the seat and back are formed from a single sheet of plywood that scrolls under at the headrest and beneath the knees, creating a sort of pillow effect. Aalto’s use of plywood had enormous influence on Charles Eames, Arne Jacobsen, Marcel Breuer and others who later came to the material.
Concerned with keeping up standards of quality in the production of his designs, Aalto formed the still-extant company Artek in 1935, along with his wife, Aino Aalto, whose glass designs were made by the firm. In the latter medium, in 1936 the Aaltos together created the iconic, undulating Savoy vase, so-called for the luxe Helsinki restaurant for which the piece was designed. Artek also produced Aalto lighting designs, many of which — such as the Angel’s Wing floor lamp and the Beehive pendant — incorporate a signature Aalto detail: shades made of concentric enameled-metal rings graduated down in diameter. The effect of the technique is essential Alvar Aalto: at once precise, simple, and somehow poetic.
WYETH celebrates the fine, the unusual and the extraordinary in its well-curated selection of furniture, lighting, art and objects. Its offerings range from museum-quality pieces, by masters like Hans J. Wegner and Edward Wormley, to anonymous industrial objects of great merit, along with the exclusive WYETH line of furnishings, comple...
- By Alvar Aalto, ArtekLocated in Sagaponack, NYAn early "Tank" lounge chair with an uncommon wingback variation having a floating, zebra patterned seat and bac...Category
Vintage 1930s Finnish Scandinavian Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
Birch, UpholsteryH 34 in. W 30.5 in. D 33 in.$38,000
- By Alvar Aalto, ArtekLocated in Sagaponack, NYA dining chair in laminated birch with newly upholstered black leather seat and back.Category
Vintage 1940s Finnish Scandinavian Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
Leather, BirchH 30 in. W 18 in. D 22 in.$5,400 / item
- By Artek, Alvar AaltoLocated in Sagaponack, NYA post WWII edition of a 1935 Aalto design, model No.66, of molded and bent laminated Baltic birch. This particu...Category
Vintage 1950s Finnish Scandinavian Modern ChairsMaterials
BirchH 23.5 in. W 14.5 in. D 16.25 in.$600
- By Artek, Alvar AaltoLocated in Sagaponack, NYAn uncommon birch bentwood drawing rack with four pairs of hooks.Category
Vintage 1960s Finnish Scandinavian Modern Magazine Racks and StandsMaterials
Birch, BirchH 45.25 in. W 1.25 in. D 10.25 in.$8,500
- By Alvar Aalto, ArtekLocated in Sagaponack, NYA birch cabinet resting on a recessed plinth base with four (4) drawers that lock and have integrated pulls. Des...Category
Vintage 1960s Finnish Scandinavian Modern CabinetsMaterials
BirchH 25.5 in. W 15 in. D 22 in.$3,800 / item
- By Artex, Alvar AaltoLocated in Sagaponack, NYA rectangular extension dining table with a laminated birch top and solid bentwood legs, having two (2) self sto...Category
Vintage 1940s Finnish Scandinavian Modern Dining Room TablesMaterials
BirchH 29 in. W 51.5 in. D 35.5 in.$10,500
You May Also Like
Vintage 1970s Finnish Scandinavian Modern Wingback Chairs
Vintage 1930s Finnish Modern Lounge Chairs
Vintage 1970s Finnish Scandinavian Modern Lounge Chairs
Mid-20th Century Finnish Scandinavian Modern Lounge Chairs
Vintage 1930s Finnish Scandinavian Modern Lounge Chairs
Vintage 1980s Finnish Mid-Century Modern Chairs
Vintage 1970s Finnish Organic Modern Lounge Chairs
Vintage 1930s Swedish Scandinavian Modern Lounge Chairs