Rare Le Corbusier B.V Doshi Black Ahmedabad Desk/Console
About the Item
- Creator:Le Corbusier (Designer)
- Dimensions:Height: 30.25 in (76.84 cm)Width: 75 in (190.5 cm)Depth: 28 in (71.12 cm)
- Style:Mid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:c. 1960
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:Brooklyn, NY
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU6858231772772
Swiss-born Charles-Édouard Jeanneret, best known by his adopted name Le Corbusier, was a highly influential architect, designer, painter, urban planner and writer whose career spanned almost five decades.
A pioneer of progress-minded modern architecture, Le Corbusier sought to impose a rational order on the chaos of the world through design. He rejected the excessive architectural ornament and developed a style that became known as brutalism, creating buildings with elemental geometric forms that were made of industrial materials such as steel and reinforced concrete. Le Corbusier believed that pure, well-designed spaces could offer a lesson in how little is needed to achieve happiness. To convey this notion, the architect prioritized modern, open interiors and emphasized light, rational designs. His architecture and interiors share a clear sense of space and structural order, underlining the beauty in harmony, proportion and simplicity.
Le Corbusier’s furniture espouses these same ideals. His designs are spare, minimal and efficient but at the same time offer supreme comfort. Collaborating with his cousin, Pierre Jeanneret, and trailblazing designer Charlotte Perriand, he devised such iconic pieces as the LC2 Petit Confort armchair and the LC4 chaise longue. Each couples a tubular chrome frame with soft, supple leather upholstery, lending an organic warmth to an industrially made design. In his furniture, Le Corbusier broke new ground in ergonomics. The shape of the LC4 chaise is taken directly from the human form; the classic cowhide upholstery makes the sitter feel weightless; and the piece features an adjustable positioning mechanism to promote total relaxation.
Such planning and intelligence were the hallmarks of Le Corbusier’s career. Whether in his designs for private residences such as the Villa Savoye near Paris, apartment towers like the Unité D'habitation in Marseilles, or in his furniture, he worked toward a style of living that was expansive and flexible. The strength and simplicity of line of Le Corbusier’s sofas and other seating pieces give them a sculptural presence in any décor, yet they are sublimely restful. And as you will see on 1stDibs, Le Corbusier’s furniture reflects a worldly taste: it is at once refined, cosmopolitan and chic.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: New York, NY
- Return PolicyThis item cannot be returned.
- Rare Pair Original Serge Mouille Petite Saturne Wall SconcesBy Serge MouilleLocated in Brooklyn, NYRare pair of original Serge Mouille Petite Saturne wall sconces. Designed in 1957. Completely original, down to the wiring and electrics. Sculptural in every sense of the word, as ...Category
Mid-20th Century French Mid-Century Modern Wall Lights and SconcesMaterials
Aluminum, Brass, Steel
- Rare Georges Jouve + Mathieu Mategot 'Patte D'Ours' Ashtray in WhiteBy Mathieu Matégot, Georges JouveLocated in Brooklyn, NYGeorges Jouve 'Patte d’Ours' ashtray in rare crackled white glaze on a Mathieu Matégot black lacquered metal and woven rattan stand. France c. 1951. Underside of ashtray incised wi...Category
Mid-20th Century French Mid-Century Modern CeramicsMaterials
- Early Rare Isamu Noguchi Akari Light Sculptures, Model 41S Globes, Bamboo BaseBy Isamu NoguchiLocated in Brooklyn, NYIsamu Noguchi Akari light sculptures. Model 41S. Noguchi’s Akari series was started in 1951, model 41S was designed in 1956. This is an early model, marked with iconic red sun and m...Category
Mid-20th Century Japanese Mid-Century Modern Table LampsMaterials
- Rare Early Isamu Noguchi Akari Light Sculpture Model 6a with Kanji PatternsBy Isamu NoguchiLocated in Brooklyn, NYRare and early Isamu Noguchi Akari light sculpture with screen-printed kanji patterns. Model 6A. Early model, marked with iconic...Category
Mid-20th Century Japanese Mid-Century Modern Table LampsMaterials
- Set of Five Black Charlotte Perriand Meribel Chairs, Original Black c. 1960sBy Charlotte PerriandLocated in Brooklyn, NYSet of five Charlotte Perriand black Meribel chairs. France c. 1960s. Black paint is completely original and has beautiful patina (ie. they weren’t painted after the fact, as is t...Category
Mid-20th Century French Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
Rush, Wood, Paint
- Rare Pair of George Nakashima Conoid lounge chairs, 1983By George NakashimaLocated in Brooklyn, NYRare pair of George Nakashima Conoid lounge chairs, 1983. American black walnut. Signed ‘George Nakashima’, Oct 1983. Introduced in 1961, th...Category
Mid-20th Century American Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Le Corbusier LC/BD-01-A Ahmedabad Console Desk / Authentic Mid-Century ModernBy Le CorbusierLocated in Zürich, CHThis console desk was created by B. Doshi and Le Corbusier. It is not only a very rare piece but also an item of museum quality. It is raw in its simplicity and splendid with that so...Category
Mid-20th Century Indian Mid-Century Modern Desks and Writing TablesMaterials
- Le Corbusier , Console Desk , The Building near Villa Shoran , Teak , 1950sBy Le CorbusierLocated in Edogawa-ku Tokyo, JPLe Corbusier , Console Desk , The Building near Villa Shoran , Teak , 1950s Provenance: The building near Villa Shoranthe property belongs to the gentleman Mr Vora I can sent more detail picture.please contact me. ※ONLY DESK If you want the chair, then you can check...Category
Vintage 1950s Desks and Writing TablesMaterials
- "Symmetric" Console / Desk, Black Walnut, Patina SteelBy Joseph Cauvel of CAUV DesignLocated in North Branch, NYThe "Symmetric" console / desk is a perfectly balanced design of interlocking steel plate joinery and a solid black walnut surface. Customizable to any variation of dimensions, mater...Category
2010s American Modern Console TablesMaterials
- Rare Hand-Painted Lacquered Console/Desk by Allesandro for Baker, circa 1980By Alessandro for Baker Furniture, Baker Furniture CompanyLocated in Atlanta, GAThis magnificent console is shipped as professionally photographed and described in the listing narrative: Meticulously professionally restored and completely installation ready. A ...Category
Vintage 1980s Italian Mid-Century Modern Console TablesMaterials
- 1970 Table Console Waxed Black Lacquer "Palace Le Lotti"Located in Saint-Ouen, FRConsole, Writing table of Louis XV inspiration in black waxed lacquer coming from "Palace le lotti" 77001 Paris, the stamp is inside the drawer, (see photo). This piece of furniture ...Category
Vintage 1970s French Console TablesMaterials