Alvar Aalto, Dining Table Model 92, 1940s, Artek
About the Item
- Creator:Alvar Aalto (Designer),Artek (Manufacturer)
- Dimensions:Height: 29.53 in (75 cm)Width: 88.19 in (224 cm)Depth: 35.44 in (90 cm)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1940s
- Condition:Refinished. Wear consistent with age and use. The overall impression is good.
- Seller Location:Helsinki, FI
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU6346232616052
An architect and designer, Alvar Aalto deserves an immense share of the credit for bringing Scandinavian modernism to a prominent place in the global arena. In both his buildings and in his vintage furniture — which ranges from chairs, tables and lighting to table- and glassware — Aalto’s sensitivity to the natural world and to organic forms and materials tempered the hardness of rationalist design.
Relatively few Aalto buildings exist outside Finland. (Just four exist in the United States, and only one — the sinuous 1945 Baker House dormitory at M.I.T. — is easily visited.) International attention came to Aalto, whose surname translates to English as “wave,” primarily through his furnishings.
Instead of the tubular metal framing favored by the Bauhaus designers and Le Corbusier, Aalto insisted on wood. His aesthetic is best represented by the Paimio armchair, developed in 1930 as part of his overall design of a Finnish tuberculosis sanatorium. Comfortable, yet light enough to be easily moved by patients, the chair’s frame is composed of two laminated birch loops; the seat and back are formed from a single sheet of plywood that scrolls under at the headrest and beneath the knees, creating a sort of pillow effect. Aalto’s use of plywood had enormous influence on Charles and Ray Eames, Arne Jacobsen, Marcel Breuer and others who later came to the material.
Concerned with keeping up standards of quality in the production of his designs, Aalto formed the still-extant company Artek in 1935, along with his wife, Aino Aalto, whose glass designs were made by the firm. In the latter medium, in 1936 the Aaltos together created the iconic, undulating Savoy vase, so-called for the luxe Helsinki restaurant for which the piece was designed.
Artek also produced Aalto pendants and other lighting designs, many of which — such as the Angel’s Wing floor lamp and the Beehive pendant — incorporate a signature Aalto detail: shades made of concentric enameled-metal rings graduated down in diameter. The effect of the technique is essential Alvar Aalto: at once precise, simple, and somehow poetic.
Find a collection of vintage Alvar Aalto stools, vases, dining tables and other furniture on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Helsinki, Finland
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 14 days of delivery.
- Alvar Aalto, Double Shelf, Model 112-2, ArtekBy Artek, Alvar AaltoLocated in Helsinki, FIThe iconic minimalist shelf by Alvar Aalto in double deck. Due to the back rail, the shelf is easier to hang with four screws instead of eight. The shelf unit is pre mid 1950s and i...Category
Vintage 1950s Finnish ShelvesMaterials
- Alvar Aalto, Coat Rack Model 113, ArtekBy Artek, Alvar AaltoLocated in Helsinki, FIThis coat rack model 113 from 1940s is designed by Alvar Aalto and it is in really fine vintage condition. It is made of varnished birch, five hanging anchor...Category
Vintage 1940s Finnish Coat Racks and StandsMaterials
- Alvar Aalto, a Wall Shelf, Model No 112, ArtekBy Alvar Aalto, ArtekLocated in Helsinki, FIThis early 1940s' single wall shelf model 112 is designed by Finnish architect Alvar Aalto for Artek. This versatile shelf is stained birch. The two triangular panels are joined to...Category
Vintage 1940s Finnish ShelvesMaterials
- Alvar Aalto Pair of Shelves Model 112-2, ArtekBy Artek, Alvar AaltoLocated in Helsinki, FIA pair of shelves designed by Alvar Aalto for Artek in the 1930s. They are made from bent laminated birch, solid birch, and plywood birch. The items ca...Category
Vintage 1930s Finnish ShelvesMaterials
Birch$7,468 / set
- Alvar Aalto Nesting Table Set Model E88, Artek, 1950sBy Artek, Alvar AaltoLocated in Helsinki, FIThe perfect practical side table for any scandinavian or modern interior, especially with challenging spaces as you can save space with the nesting tables. Measuring 60x35, 52x35 and...Category
Vintage 1950s Finnish Nesting Tables and Stacking TablesMaterials
- Alvar Aalto Foldable Table and 6 Stools, ArtekBy Artek, Alvar AaltoLocated in Helsinki, FIThis extremely colourful set of 6 stools and a clapper table adds playfullness into your home while still keeping up the elegance of classic Alvar Aalt...Category
Vintage 1960s Finnish Dining Room SetsMaterials
Plywood, Laminate, Birch$16,475 / set
- Vintage Aalto Table Round by Alvar Aalto for Artek, 1940sBy Alvar AaltoLocated in Centreville, VADesigned by Alvar Aalto in 1933 Date of Manufacture: Circa 1940 (during WWII) A very rare round table by Alvar Aalto. This particular piece has been made in Sweden when Artek ope...Category
Mid-20th Century Finnish Mid-Century Modern Dining Room TablesMaterials
- Alvar Aalto for Artek Birch & Black Linoleum Half-Round Dining TableBy Artek, Alvar AaltoLocated in London, GBOriginally designed by Alvar Aalto in 1933, this half-round table formed part of his iconic L-leg collection. Aalto created the collection after experimenting with bending wood in the early 1920s, before patenting his technique in 1933. The table is constructed from solid birch ply finished with a clear lacquer in order to allow the natural wood to be the focal point. The legs of the table feature the iconic L-shape bends, while the semi-circular table top has a black linoleum finish. Incredibly versatile, the shape of the table makes it ideal for compact spaces, such as hallways or kitchens and dining...Category
Vintage 1930s Finnish Dining Room TablesMaterials
- Rare Alvar Aalto Table 907 Produced by Artek, 1940sBy Artek, Alvar AaltoLocated in Stockholm, SEAlvar Aalto's innovative L-leg coffee table, double coffee table designed 1933. Elegant low birch table with its clever magazine shelf. Produced ...Category
Vintage 1940s Swedish Scandinavian Modern Side TablesMaterials
- Mid Century Alvar Aalto Tables / Stools by Artek, Model 60, Circa 1940sBy ArtekLocated in Germantown, MDBeautiful mid century Alvar Aalto tables / stools manufactured by Artek, Model 60, Circa 1940s, Stacking tables. Bentwood and formica top. Very good vintage condition. Wear appropri...Category
Mid-20th Century Finnish Mid-Century Modern Side TablesMaterials
Formica, Bentwood$1,180 Sale Price / set20% Off
- Alvar Aalto Fan Leg Dining TableBy Alvar AaltoLocated in St.Petersburg, FLA fantastic Alvar Aalto fan leg dining table. Birchwood with nice patina and grain-very good condition.Category
Vintage 1960s Finnish Modern Dining Room TablesMaterials
- Alvar Aalto Sunflower Garden Table Model 330, 1960sBy Alvar AaltoLocated in Helsinki, FIRare "Sunflower" Dining table. No longer in production. Painted wood, brass details. This piece was Designed in 1938/39 for Villa Mairea, a house Aalto designed for his friends Harry...Category
Mid-20th Century Finnish Mid-Century Modern Dining Room TablesMaterials
Brass$4,261 Sale Price20% Off
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery