- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Warren Platner Side Tables for Knoll
- DimensionsHeight: 18.5 in. (46.99 cm)Diameter: 24 in. (60.96 cm)
- Sold AsSet of 2
- StyleMid-Century Modern (In the Style Of)
- Materials and TechniquesOak,Steel,Bronzed,Stained
- Place of OriginUnited States
- PeriodMid-20th Century
- Date of Manufacture1960
- ConditionRefinished. Wear consistent with age and use. Areas of stain are uneven.
- Seller LocationHouston, TX
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU850627574312
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingShips From: Houston, TX
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
About the Designer
Though his vintage furniture and interiors are icons of mid-century modernism, architect and furniture designer Warren Platner took his stylistic inspiration from as far back as 18th-century France, once saying about his seminal collection for Knoll that his design intent was to evoke “the kind of decorative, gentle, graceful kind of design that appeared in period style like Louis XV.”
Indeed, the marriage of modern sensibility and classical grace is a marker of Platner’s style across furnishings and interiors — both genres in which he left an enduring legacy.
Born in 1919 in Baltimore, Maryland, Platner studied architecture at Cornell before cutting his teeth working for design icons like Eero Saarinen and Kevin Roche, eventually serving as head of interior design in the latter’s office. In 1965, Platner opened his own office, in Greenwich, Connecticut, where he continued to hone his particular brand of graceful modernism.
Knoll released the Platner Collection of seating and tables in 1966. (Originally designed in 1962, the suite took nearly four years of development to bring to life.) The decorative bent-metal-and-glass pieces — an armchair, a dining table and more — make certain nods to the trademarks of his former employers, but also to the shapes of historic European furniture. The sculptural elegance of his line recalls Saarinen’s iconic Tulip collection, which includes armchairs and dining tables, while his materiality aligns with Roche’s cutting-edge use of glass and metal for the headquarters of the Ford Foundation in New York.
Many of Platner’s Knoll pieces would go on to find homes in a certain fabled locale: the Windows on the World restaurant at the original World Trade Center, whose interiors Platner was tapped to outfit in the mid-1970s. Upon the opening of the restaurant in 1976, New York Times architecture critic Paul Goldberger dubbed its style “sensuous modernism” — an apt tagline for Platner’s oeuvre as a whole.
Platner died in 2006 at the age of 86. His furniture is still produced by Knoll, and original examples — along with idiosyncratic custom works he created for interior design clients — are coveted by collectors today.
Find vintage Warren Platner furniture on 1stDibs.
- Maya Lin Table for Knoll StudioBy Maya Lin, KnollLocated in Houston, TXMaya Lin table Knoll Studio USA, 2000 birch veneer, metal Rare table designed by Maya Lin for Knoll. The table is no longer produced.Category
Mid-20th Century North American Mid-Century Modern TablesMaterials
- Richard Meier Dining Table for KnollBy Richard Meier, KnollLocated in Houston, TXRichard Meier Dining table Knoll USA, 1982 Maple Measures: 27.5 H × 96 W × 60 W in Large dining table. In original condition. Table and ten chairs are separate listings.Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern TablesMaterials
- Florence Knoll Nightstand in WalnutBy Florence Knoll, KnollLocated in Houston, TXFlorence Knoll nightstand in walnut Knoll, USA, 1956. Walnut. Measures: 18 W x 18 D x 20 H inches. Nightstand has a single drawer above a lower shelf.Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern Night StandsMaterials
- Large Richard Meier Dining Set for KnollBy Richard Meier, KnollLocated in Houston, TXRichard Meier Dining Set Dining table, armchairs, 10 chairs Knoll USA, 1982 Maple Measures: 27.5 H × 96 W × 60 W in table Measures: 26.5 H × 20.5 W × 20 D in. Large di...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room SetsMaterials
Maple$54,000 / set
- Richard Meier Armchairs Set of 10 for KnollBy Richard Meier, KnollLocated in Houston, TXRichard Meier Armchairs, 10 chairs Knoll USA, 1982 Maple Measures: 26.5 H × 20.5 W × 20 D in. Large set. In original condition.Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern ChairsMaterials
Maple$38,000 / set
- Gueridon Edward Wormley for Dunbar, 1950sBy Edward Wormley, Dunbar FurnitureLocated in Houston, TXOccasional table by Edward Wormley for Dunbar. USA, circa 1950s. Travertine top with tripod mahagony base. Dunbar label to underneath.Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern Side TablesMaterials
You May Also Like
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern Side Tables
Vintage 1960s Italian Mid-Century Modern Side Tables
Late 20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Side Tables
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Coffee and Cocktail Tables
Vintage 1960s Mid-Century Modern Center Tables
21st Century and Contemporary Mid-Century Modern Side Tables
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern Coffee and Cocktail Tables
20th Century American Modern Side Tables
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room Tables
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern Side Tables
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Insured Global Delivery