Vintage YVES SAINT LAURENT Ysl Mondrian Geometric Resin Necklace
View Similar Items
Vintage YVES SAINT LAURENT Ysl Mondrian Geometric Resin Necklace
About the Item
Yves Saint Laurent
French fashion designer Yves Saint Laurent pioneered “cross-design” in fashion, taking inspiration from street trends to modernize haute couture.
Saint Laurent was the first to launch a ready-to-wear label, YSL Rive Gauche Prêt-à-Porter. He was the first couturier to open boutiques for both men and women. Using traditional menswear fabrics and designs for women, Saint Laurent also literally cross-dressed, giving men and women alike chic pant suits, elegant tuxedo jackets and urban safari gear. By blurring gender-specific design, he empowered individual style while creating a scissor-sharp fashion aesthetic of sensual ease and beauty. Many of his designs are today considered timeless classics. Saint Laurent also consistently used Black models, like Mounia, Iman and Naomi Campbell, and he drew endless inspiration from different ethnicities and cultures, in no small part because of his Algerian roots.
Born to French parents in Oran, Algeria, in 1936, Saint Laurent went to Paris at age 17 to study fashion at the Chambre Syndicale de la Haute Couture. Just two years later, in 1955, his remarkable sketches were shown to Christian Dior, then the world’s reigning couturier, who hired him immediately.
Surprisingly soon thereafter, Dior publicly chose Saint Laurent as his successor, which sadly proved prescient when the fashion legend died unexpectedly, in 1957. A mere slip of a youth, the 21-year-old Saint Laurent was nevertheless up to the challenge. He shook the traditional couture clientele to its core with youthful silhouettes and styles like the A-line trapeze dress that hung with seeming effortlessness from the shoulders, the antithesis of the pinched waists and molded skirts that had been all the rage after the deprivations of World War II.
After a mandated spell in the torturous French military, Saint Laurent suffered a nervous breakdown and was dismissed by Dior in 1962. Out of the ashes rose the Age of Yves. With Pierre Bergé, his then-lover who became his lifelong business partner and friend, the designer founded Yves Saint Laurent YSL to encompass prêt-à-porter, or ready-to-wear. In 1966, they opened the first YSL Rive Gauche women’s boutique in Paris, followed soon thereafter by YSL Rive Gauche for men. Saint Laurent had given birth to a global brand.
His revolutionary Mondrian mini dress from 1965 is a core element of his fashion biography. It is a prime example of how Saint Laurent, an avid art lover and collector, looked to painters, from Goya to Picasso, Ingres to Matisse, for inspiration.
With its pure lines and hues, Mondrian’s ground-breaking 1935 color-block painting Composition C transmutes beautifully into a dress that is highly valued by collectors of contemporary fashion and widely copied commercially to this day. The design is the epitome of Saint Laurent’s aesthetic, requiring a meticulous hand piecing of each color block so that, despite the body’s curves, the visual plane is as flat as a canvas when the garment is worn. Mondrian’s purity met its match in Saint Laurent.
“I am no longer concerned with sensation and innovation, but with the perfection of my style,” Saint Laurent said four years before retiring, in 2002. After a long period of ill health, he died at his home in Paris on June 1, 2008.
- Multi-Shape Diamond NecklaceBy Diamond Scene New YorkLocated in New York, NYA unique diamond necklace. 17.19 carats of oval, pear, emerald, marquise and round cut white diamonds set in 18k white gold. 18 inch lengt...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Choker NecklacesMaterials
- Van Cleef & Arpels Vintage Alhambra Bois D'Amourette Rose Gold NecklaceBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in Miami, FLMightychic offers an extremely rare and highly collectible Vintage Alhambra Collection necklace featured in 18K Rose Gold and Bois d'Amourette (letterwood). Vintage and aged to perfection this series is created by a French craftsman using antique machinery...Category
2010s French Choker NecklacesMaterials
18k Gold$22,875Free Shipping
- Vintage Monet Bouclais Collar Necklace Circa 1972By MonetLocated in New York, NYVintage Monet Bouclais Collar Necklace. This is a very special piece from Monet and always looks relevant. This collar just turns magical when you put it on as you can see from the video below. This looks great on a tshirt or wearing it for black tie. The last photo below also shows this against the Schiaparelli Gold...Category
Vintage 1970s American Artist Link NecklacesMaterials
Mixed Metal$825Free Shipping
- Alex Jona White Diamond and Champagne Diamond 18 Karat White Gold NecklaceBy Alex JonaLocated in Torino, ITAlex Jona design collection, hand crafted in Italy, 18 karat white gold necklace set with alternating white and champagne round cut diamonds, weighing 19.67 carats of champagne diamo...Category
2010s Italian Choker NecklacesMaterials
White Diamond, Brown Diamond, 18k Gold, White Gold$40,930Free Shipping
- Vintage Asch Grossbardt Mosaic Gemstone and Diamond Inlay Gold Collar NecklaceBy Asch GrossbardtLocated in Scottsdale, AZAdorn your neck in vibrant modern art! This gorgeous diamond and gemstone mosaic necklace from esteemed jewelry designer, Asch Grossbardt is sure to make a bold statement. Asch Grossbart jewelry is known for exquisite color combinations, as well as signature mosaic designs which are reminiscent of the ornate stained glass windows in European cathedrals. A piece of Grossbart jewelry is a true wok of art. This incredible necklace features a colorful gemstone mosaic in a modern abstract pattern set on a woven polished yellow gold chain...Category
Vintage 1980s American Modern Choker NecklacesMaterials
Diamond, Lapis Lazuli, Malachite, Onyx, Pearl, Gold, 14k Gold, Yellow Gold$19,000Free Shipping
- Bakelite necklace in horn optic, France, around 1920Located in Berlin, DEBakelite necklace in horn optic, France, around 1920 Bakelite necklace, bakelite elements running on pearls, largest element 4 x 6 x 1 cm. Width: 1 cm Height: 42 cm Depth: 1 cm Colo...Category
Vintage 1920s French Art Deco Choker Necklaces$475Free Shipping
Recently ViewedView All
How to Spot a Fake YSL Bag
Counterfeiters know that savvy fashionistas cherish YSL bags. Learn how to tell if yours is the real deal. Of course, you don't have to worry about that on 1stDibs, where every seller is highly vetted.
Quiet Luxury May Be Trending, but These Famous Interiors Prove That Quality and Quirk Endure
Because truly timeless design requires personal vision, transcendent taste, real fortitude and top-notch objects, even if the wider world hasn’t caught on yet.