- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Custom Florence Knoll Bench
- DimensionsHeight: 16.75 in (42.55 cm)Width: 48 in (121.92 cm)Depth: 19.5 in (49.53 cm)
- StyleMid-Century Modern (In the Style Of)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture2017
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use.
- Seller LocationHouston, TX
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU850625495722
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Houston, TX
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
About the Designer
Architect, furniture designer, interior designer, entrepreneur — Florence Knoll had a subtle but profound influence on the course of mid-century American modernism. Dedicated to functionality and organization, and never flamboyant, Knoll shaped the ethos of the postwar business world with her polished, efficient design and skillfully realized office plans.
Knoll had perhaps the most thorough design education of any of her peers. Florence Schust was orphaned at age 12, and her guardian sent her to Kingswood, a girl’s boarding school that is part of the Cranbrook Educational Community in suburban Detroit. Her interest in design brought her to the attention of Eliel Saarinen, the Finnish architect and head of the Cranbrook Academy of Art. Saarinen and his wife took the talented child under their wing, and she became close to their son, the future architect Eero Saarinen. While a student at the academy, Florence befriended artist-designer Harry Bertoia and Charles and Ray Eames. Later, she studied under three of the Bauhaus masters who emigrated to the United States. She worked as an apprentice in the Boston architectural offices of Walter Gropius and Marcel Breuer; Ludwig Mies van der Rohe taught her at the Illinois Institute of Technology.
In 1941, she met Hans Knoll, whose eponymous furniture company was just getting off the ground. They married in 1946, and her design sense and his business skills soon made Knoll Inc. a leading firm in its field. Florence signed up the younger Saarinen as a designer, and would develop pieces by Bertoia, Mies and the artist Isamu Noguchi. Her main work came as head of the Knoll Planning Group, designing custom office interiors for clients such as IBM and CBS. The furniture Florence created for these spaces reflects her Bauhaus training: the pieces are pure functional design, exactingly built; their only ornament from the materials, such as wood and marble. Her innovations — the oval conference table, for example, conceived as a way to ensure clear sightlines among all seated at a meeting — were always in the service of practicality.
Since her retirement in 1965, Knoll received the National Medal of Arts, among other awards; in 2004 the Philadelphia Museum of Art mounted the exhibition “Florence Knoll: Defining Modern” — well deserved accolades for a strong, successful design and business pioneer. As demonstrated on these pages, the simplicity of Knoll’s furniture is her work’s great virtue: they fit into any interior design scheme.
- Florence Knoll CredenzaBy Knoll, Florence KnollLocated in Houston, TXKnoll Associates Florence Knoll USA rosewood veneer, marble, chrome-plated steel Measures: 75 W × 18.5 D × 25.5 H in Rosewood has uneven finish. Small veneer loss. Small chips...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern CabinetsMaterials
- Florence Knoll Nightstand in WalnutBy Knoll, Florence KnollLocated in Houston, TXFlorence Knoll nightstand in walnut Knoll, USA, 1956. Walnut. Measures: 18 W x 18 D x 20 H inches. Nightstand has a single drawer above a lower shelf.Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern Night StandsMaterials
- Maya Lin Table for Knoll StudioBy Maya Lin, KnollLocated in Houston, TXMaya Lin table Knoll Studio USA, 2000 birch veneer, metal Rare table designed by Maya Lin for Knoll. The table is no longer produced.Category
Mid-20th Century North American Mid-Century Modern TablesMaterials
- Warren Platner Side Tables for KnollBy Warren Platner, KnollLocated in Houston, TXWarren platner pair of side or occasional tables Knoll International USA, 1960s Oak, bronzed steel Measures: 18.5 height × 24 diameter inches.Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Side TablesMaterials
Steel$7,500 / set
- Richard Meier Dining Table for KnollBy Knoll, Richard MeierLocated in Houston, TXRichard Meier Dining table Knoll USA, 1982 Maple Measures: 27.5 H × 96 W × 60 W in Large dining table. In original condition. Table and ten chairs are separate listings.Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern TablesMaterials
- Large Richard Meier Dining Set for KnollBy Richard Meier, KnollLocated in Houston, TXRichard Meier Dining Set Dining table, armchairs, 10 chairs Knoll USA, 1982 Maple Measures: 27.5 H × 96 W × 60 W in table Measures: 26.5 H × 20.5 W × 20 D in. Large di...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room SetsMaterials
Maple$54,000 / set
- Vintage Florence Knoll BenchBy Florence Knoll, KnollLocated in Palm Springs, CAA vintage Florence Knoll bench purchased out of a local Palm Springs estate. It had been nicely reupholstered and we liked the fabric and left it. The bench is in good age appropriat...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern BenchesMaterials
- All Original Florence Knoll Bench, Knoll Associates Inc.By Florence Knoll, KnollLocated in Palm Springs, CAAll original Florence Knoll bench measuring 80" wide, 20" deep and 17.5" high. The bench has 2 labels as pictured. Early label Knoll Associates, Inc. Madison Ave, NY. There's a sl...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern BenchesMaterials
- 2 Florence Knoll Upholstered BenchesBy Florence KnollLocated in West Palm Beach, FL2 Florence Knoll benches Original red upholstery. Labeled Sold individually, price is for 1 bench.Category
Vintage 1970s North American BenchesMaterials
Steel$3,500 / item
- Knoll Style Mid Century Chrome Upholstered BenchBy KnollLocated in Countryside, ILKnoll Style mid century chrome upholstered bench The bench measures: 60 wide x 18 deep x 19 high, with a seat height of 19 inches All pieces of furniture can be had in what we...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern BenchesMaterials
- Architectural Florence Knoll T-Angle Table BenchBy Florence KnollLocated in Dallas, TXEarly Florence Knoll 'T-Angle' table bench with original black laminate tops. Would serve well and an oversized coffee table or cocktail table but it is built in a way that would eas...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Six Foot Bench by Florence Knoll, Red Fabric, Chrome Frame, SignedBy Florence Knoll, KnollLocated in Kansas City, MOThree or four seat Florence Knoll Bench in red knoll fabric and heavy chromed steel frame. Produced in 2009, this bench has seen very little use. Very good condition with no stains o...Category
Early 2000s American Mid-Century Modern BenchesMaterials
Recently ViewedView More
10 Trailblazing Female Designers
From pioneering visionaries to contemporary talents, get to know some of the most important women in design.
Remembering Design Visionary Florence Knoll Bassett (1917-2019)
A loving look back at the life and career of a doyenne of mid-century-modern style, who died last week at the age of 101.