Cartier Emerald and Diamond Brooch
View Similar Items
Cartier Emerald and Diamond Brooch
- Metal:18k Gold
- Stone Cut:Round Cut
- Place of Origin:United States
- Period:21st Century
- Date of Manufacture:1960
- Seller Location:New York, NY
- Reference Number:Seller: BR-333521stDibs: LU4105400322
About the Designer
For its extraordinary range of bracelets, watches, rings and other adornments, French luxury house Cartier is undeniably one of the most well known and internationally revered jewelers in the world among clients both existing and aspirational.
Perhaps 1847 was not the ideal time to open a new watchmaking and jewelry business, as the French Revolution was not kind to the aristocracy who could afford such luxuries. Nevertheless, it was the year Louis-François Cartier (1819–1904) — who was born into poverty — founded his eponymous empire, assuming control of the workshop of watchmaker Adolphe Picard, under whom he had previously been employed as an assistant. Of course, in the beginning, it was a relatively modest affair, but by the late 1850s, Cartier had its first royal client, Princess Mathilde Bonaparte, niece of Napoleon Bonaparte, who commissioned the jeweler to design brooches, earrings and other accessories.
Under the leadership of Louis-François’s son, Alfred, who took over in 1874, business boomed. Royalty around the world wore Cartier pieces, including Tsar Nicholas II of Russia, the Maharaja of Patiala and King Edward VII, who had 27 tiaras made by the jewelry house for his coronation in 1902 and issued Cartier a royal warrant in 1904. (Today, the British royal family still dons Cartier pieces; Kate Middleton, Duchess of Cambridge, regularly sports a Ballon Bleu de Cartier watch.)
Cartier’s golden years, however, began when Alfred introduced his three sons, Louis, Pierre and Jacques, to the business. The brothers expanded Cartier globally: Louis reigned in Paris, Pierre in New York and Jacques in London, ensuring their brand’s consistency at their branches across the world. The trio also brought in such talents as Charles Jacqueau and Jeanne Toussaint.
One of Cartier’s earliest major successes was the Santos de Cartier watch — one of the world's first modern wristwatches for men. (Previously, a large number of people were using only pocket watches.) Louis designed the timepiece in 1904 for his friend, popular Brazilian aviator Alberto Santos-Dumont, who wanted to be able to check the time more easily while flying.
Cartier’s other famous timepieces include the Tank watch, which was inspired by the linear form of military tanks during World War I, and the so-called mystery clocks. Invented by watchmaker and magician Jean-Eugène Robert-Houdin and later crafted exclusively for Cartier in the house’s workshop by watchmaker Maurice Couët, the mystery clocks were so named because the integration of glass dials on which the clocks’ hands would seemingly float as well as structures that are hidden away within the base give the illusion that they operate without machinery.
On the jewelry side of the business, Cartier’s internationally renowned offerings include the Tutti Frutti collection, which featured colorful carved gemstones inspired by Jacques’s trip to India and grew in popularity during the Art Deco years; the panthère motif, which has been incorporated into everything from brooches to rings; and the Love bracelet, a minimal, modernist locking bangle inspired by medieval chastity belts that transformed fine jewelry.
While the Cartier family sold the business following the death of Pierre in 1964, the brand continues to innovate today, renewing old hits and creating new masterpieces.
- Butterfly Pin with White and Fancy Intense Yellow diamondsBy J. BirnbachLocated in New York, NYThis gorgeous yellow and white diamond butterfly pin, set in platinum and 18kt yellow gold, is a super way to add sparkle to your outfit. It contains 6.78 carats of E color diamonds...Category
21st Century and Contemporary American Contemporary BroochesMaterials
Diamond, Yellow Diamond, 18k Gold, Platinum$19,975Free Shipping
- Geometrical Yellow Gold Emerald and Diamond RingBy Kurt WayneLocated in New York, NYThis 18 karat yellow gold ring features a stunning step-cut emerald stone as the center stone with a deep yellowish-green color and weighting 1.52 carats. The emerald is accentuated ...Category
20th Century American Modern Fashion RingsMaterials
Diamond, Emerald, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold$15,600 Sale Price / set20% OffFree Shipping
- J. Birnbach Diamond and Emerald Ring in PlatinumBy J. BirnbachLocated in New York, NYThis unique diamond and emerald ring is a stunning addition to any jewelry collection! The oval emerald is a rich, very saturated green, which is a luxurious contrast against the bri...Category
2010s American Fashion RingsMaterials
Emerald, Platinum$9,800Free Shipping
- Georgian Emerald & Diamond Convertible NecklaceLocated in New York, NYThis magnificent piece of jewelry dates back to the 19th century when jewelry was handcrafted with incredibly labor-intensive processes where malleable metal was hammered into intric...Category
Antique Mid-19th Century Spanish Victorian Drop NecklacesMaterials
Diamond, Emerald, Silver, 18k Gold$24,000 Sale Price29% OffFree Shipping
- Natural Fancy Color Diamond Floral Design PinBy J. BirnbachLocated in New York, NYThis whimsical floral design pin features natural colorless and fancy colored diamonds set in platinum and 18kt yellow gold. This lovely pin showcases fancy yellow, orange, and gray fancy shape diamonds in a colorless and fancy yellow diamond pave...Category
20th Century American Contemporary BroochesMaterials
Yellow Diamond, Diamond, 18k Gold, Platinum$32,240 Sale Price20% OffFree Shipping
- Emerald, Ruby, Sapphire and Diamond Earrings in 18 Karat Yellow GoldLocated in New York, NYCalibrated Emerald, Ruby and Blue Sapphire are set in 18 Karat Yellow Gold earrings flanked by Round Brilliant Cut Diamonds of 1.00 Carat Total Weight. Average Color is H-I and aver...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Stud EarringsMaterials
Diamond, Emerald, Ruby, Sapphire, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold$5,950Free Shipping
- Cartier Turquoise, Diamond, Emerald Bird BroochBy CartierLocated in New York, NYCARTIER Turquoise, Diamond, Emerald Bird Brooch. An 18k yellow gold and platinum bird brooch, set with cabochon turquoise, emerald and diamonds, C...Category
Vintage 1980s French BroochesMaterials
Diamond, Emerald, Turquoise, 18k Gold, Platinum$95,000Free Shipping
- Cartier emerald and diamond fox brooch, circa 1940.By CartierLocated in London, GBCartier emerald and diamond fox brooch. Set with two oval cabochon natural emeralds in open back rubover settings with a combined approximate weight of 0.35...Category
Vintage 1940s BroochesMaterials
Diamond, Emerald, Gold, Platinum$26,749Free Shipping
- Rare Cartier Ruby, Emerald, Sapphire and Diamond BroochBy CartierLocated in New York, NYA beautiful, rare and collectible floral brooch by Cartier, with cabochon rubies, emeralds and sapphires, highlighted by diamonds. Made in Paris, circa 1930.Category
Vintage 1930s BroochesMaterials
Diamond, White Diamond, Emerald, Ruby, Blue Sapphire$50,600Free Shipping
- Cartier Gold, Diamond and Emerald Duck Brooch, circa 1960sBy CartierLocated in London, GBA charming gold and gem-set duck brooch by Cartier c.1960s, the body finely modelled in 18ct yellow gold with a textured finish and carefully formed feathers, the beak and feet in go...Category
Mid-20th Century French BroochesMaterials
White Diamond, Emerald, 18k Gold$14,307Free Shipping
- Cartier Gold and Emerald Lion BroochBy CartierLocated in New York, NYA rare and elegant 18-karat gold and emerald lion brooch-pendant by Cartier, circa 1970s. This is a rare item published in Cartier's book on animal jewelry.Category
Vintage 1970s Contemporary BroochesMaterials
- Cartier Diamond and Emerald Elephant Brooch and Earrings Set In Platinum.By CartierLocated in New York, NYCartier Diamond and Emerald Elephant Brooch and Earrings Set In Platinum. The Brooch feature mother elephant with a calf walking in front of her encrusted with 136 round brilliant c...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Artist BroochesMaterials
Diamond, Emerald, Platinum$22,500 / setFree Shipping
Recently ViewedView All
Nothing Says Summer Heat Like This Ruby-Red Cartier Stunner
The vintage bombé ring is bursting with color and timeless style.
Gems by David Webb, Cartier and Van Cleef & Arpels Anchor The Back Vault’s Treasure Trove
Boasting one of the largest collections of David Webb in the world, the firm offers exceptional jewels — always in demand yet never in short supply.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery