Cartier Ladies Yellow Gold Ruby Set Wristwatch
View Similar Items
Cartier Ladies Yellow Gold Ruby Set Wristwatch
About the Designer
For its extraordinary range of bracelets, watches, rings and other adornments, French luxury house Cartier is undeniably one of the most well known and internationally revered jewelers in the world among clients both existing and aspirational.
Perhaps 1847 was not the ideal time to open a new watchmaking and jewelry business, as the French Revolution was not kind to the aristocracy who could afford such luxuries. Nevertheless, it was the year Louis-François Cartier (1819–1904) — who was born into poverty — founded his eponymous empire, assuming control of the workshop of watchmaker Adolphe Picard, under whom he had previously been employed as an assistant. Of course, in the beginning, it was a relatively modest affair, but by the late 1850s, Cartier had its first royal client, Princess Mathilde Bonaparte, niece of Napoleon Bonaparte, who commissioned the jeweler to design brooches, earrings and other accessories.
Under the leadership of Louis-François’s son, Alfred, who took over in 1874, business boomed. Royalty around the world wore Cartier pieces, including Tsar Nicholas II of Russia, the Maharaja of Patiala and King Edward VII, who had 27 tiaras made by the jewelry house for his coronation in 1902 and issued Cartier a royal warrant in 1904. (Today, the British royal family still dons Cartier pieces; Kate Middleton, Duchess of Cambridge, regularly sports a Ballon Bleu de Cartier watch.)
Cartier’s golden years, however, began when Alfred introduced his three sons, Louis, Pierre and Jacques, to the business. The brothers expanded Cartier globally: Louis reigned in Paris, Pierre in New York and Jacques in London, ensuring their brand’s consistency at their branches across the world. The trio also brought in such talents as Charles Jacqueau and Jeanne Toussaint.
One of Cartier’s earliest major successes was the Santos de Cartier watch — one of the world's first modern wristwatches for men. (Previously, a large number of people were using only pocket watches.) Louis designed the timepiece in 1904 for his friend, popular Brazilian aviator Alberto Santos-Dumont, who wanted to be able to check the time more easily while flying.
Cartier’s other famous timepieces include the Tank watch, which was inspired by the linear form of military tanks during World War I, and the so-called mystery clocks. Invented by watchmaker and magician Jean-Eugène Robert-Houdin and later crafted exclusively for Cartier in the house’s workshop by watchmaker Maurice Couët, the mystery clocks were so named because the integration of glass dials on which the clocks’ hands would seemingly float as well as structures that are hidden away within the base give the illusion that they operate without machinery.
On the jewelry side of the business, Cartier’s internationally renowned offerings include the Tutti Frutti collection, which featured colorful carved gemstones inspired by Jacques’s trip to India and grew in popularity during the Art Deco years; the panthère motif, which has been incorporated into everything from brooches to rings; and the Love bracelet, a minimal, modernist locking bangle inspired by medieval chastity belts that transformed fine jewelry.
While the Cartier family sold the business following the death of Pierre in 1964, the brand continues to innovate today, renewing old hits and creating new masterpieces.
- Cartier Yellow Gold Earrings, French, circa 1980By CartierLocated in London, GBCartier yellow gold earrings. A matching pair, each composed of a polished undulating hoop, fitted to reverse with a secure hinge clip and...Category
Vintage 1980s French Hoop EarringsMaterials
Yellow Gold$10,183Free Shipping
- Cartier Ruby and Diamond Ring, circa 1950By CartierLocated in London, GBRuby and diamond ring by Cartier. Set with sixteen round brilliant cut natural unenhanced rubies to two horizontally set tapered rows in open back grain settings with an approximate ...Category
Vintage 1950s Cocktail RingsMaterials
Diamond, Ruby, Platinum$62,362Free Shipping
- Cartier vintage ruby, sapphire, emerald and diamond earrings, circa 1978.By CartierLocated in London, GBRuby, sapphire, emerald and diamond earrings by Cartier London. A pair of yellow gold earrings, set with twenty baguette cut natural unenhanced rubies in open back channel settings w...Category
Vintage 1970s English Clip-on EarringsMaterials
Diamond, Emerald, Ruby, Sapphire, Yellow Gold$21,216Free Shipping
- Ruby Sapphire Diamond Set Snake CufflinksLocated in London, GBRuby, sapphire and diamond set snake cufflinks. A matching double sided pair, composed of two twisted circular openwork snake motifs, one pair set with...Category
Early 20th Century French Art Deco CufflinksMaterials
Blue Sapphire, Diamond, Ruby, Platinum$11,443Free Shipping
- Cartier Ruby, Sapphire and Diamond Cocktail Ring, French, circa 1976By CartierLocated in London, GBCartier ruby, sapphire and diamond cocktail ring. Set with five octagonal emerald-cut diamonds in open back claw settings with a combined approximate weight of 1.00 carats, further s...Category
Vintage 1970s French Fashion RingsMaterials
Diamond, Ruby, Sapphire, Gold, Platinum$23,402Free Shipping
- Art Deco Cartier Cabochon Burmese Ruby and Diamond Ring, French, circa 1925By CartierLocated in London, GBArt Deco Cartier cabochon Burmese ruby and diamond ring. Set with an oval cabochon natural unenhanced Burmese ruby in an open back claw setting with an approximate weight of 1.80 carats, further set with two square baguette cut diamonds in open back claw settings with a combined approximate weight of 1.20 carats, to a stylish three stone design, featuring curving corner claws, a structured openwork gallery and fancy open backholing, flanked by trumpeting split shoulders flowing through to a solid slim D-shape shank. Marked platinum, signed 'CARTIER', maker’s mark for Henri Picq...Category
Vintage 1920s French Art Deco Three-Stone RingsMaterials
Diamond, Ruby, Platinum$36,003Free Shipping
- Cartier Ladies Diamond Yellow Gold Quartz WristwatchBy CartierLocated in New York, NYCartier 26mm Diamond Watch in 18k Yellow Gold. A classic watch by Cartier with an east west look – featuring a white sheen face surrounded by rows of white diamond pave mounted in 1...Category
20th Century Swiss Wrist WatchesMaterials
Diamond, 18k Gold$45,000Free Shipping
- Ladies Platinum Yellow Gold Diamond Ruby Retro WristwatchLocated in New York, NYAlternating discs of rubies set in yellow gold and round brilliant cut diamonds set in platinum, graduating in size, connect to two bands of rope chained yellow gold links. The cente...Category
Vintage 1940s Unknown Wrist WatchesMaterials
Diamond, Ruby, Gold, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold, Platinum$16,000Free Shipping
- Cartier Paris Ladies Yellow Gold Tortue Mechanical WristwatchBy CartierLocated in Great Neck Plaza, NYCartier Small Tortue 18K Yellow Gold Watch Mechanical Movement 22 x 28mm Case SizeCategory
1990s Swiss Contemporary Wrist WatchesMaterials
Yellow Gold, 18k Gold$9,400Free Shipping
- Cartier Vintage Round Ladies 18k. Yellow Gold WristwatchBy CartierLocated in Braintree, GBCartier Vintage round ladies 18k. yellow gold wristwatch. Made in Geneva, Ca.1950's Hallmarked with 750 ( A standard for 18kt. gold). Genève. Gender: Woman Case size: 25 mm Movem...Category
Vintage 1950s Swiss Wrist WatchesMaterials
Yellow Gold$3,793Free Shipping
- Cartier Colisee Ladies Yellow Gold Bracelet Quartz WristwatchBy CartierLocated in Chicago, ILCirca 2000 Cartier Colisee ladies Wrist Watch, 18k yellow Gold 24 M.M. 2 piece water resistant case, Quartz movement, White matt dial with Black roman Numerals, Sapphire crown. 11 M....Category
Early 2000s Swiss Wrist WatchesMaterials
18k Gold$6,195Free Shipping
- Cartier Tank Francaise Ladies Steel and Yellow Gold Quartz WristwatchBy CartierLocated in Chicago, ILCirca 2015 Cartier Ladies Stainless Steel and 18K Yellow Gold Tank Francaise Wrist Watch, 25 X 20 MM Water Resistant Case, Quartz Movement, Scratch Resistant Crystal, Sapphire Crown,...Category
2010s French Wrist WatchesMaterials
Yellow Gold, Steel$3,150Free Shipping
Recently ViewedView All
How to Spot a Fake Cartier Love Bracelet
This iconic jewel has captured countless hearts with its elegant design and its amatory symbolism. Counterfeiters have taken note of the demand and created fake versions. If you’re looking for a genuine Cartier Love bracelet, it’s crucial to check all the elements for authenticity. Our guide will teach you the telltale traits of a knockoff.
The 14 Most Iconic Watches for Women
Style, craft and heritage combine to make these designs undeniable classics.