In the years following the opening of her modest millinery shop, Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel became a pivotal designer of both fashionable casual wear and Paris haute couture as well as an icon and arbiter of 20th-century style with her bob haircut and pearls. Today vintage Chanel handbags, jackets and evening dresses are among the most sought-after clothing and accessories for fashion lovers all over the world.
The first Chanel shop was established in 1910 in Paris on rue Cambon by the young milliner Gabrielle Chanel (1883–1971), who had picked up the nickname “Coco” while working as a club singer. The boutique drew the attention of the Parisian fashion elite who popularized her wide-brimmed Chanel Modes hats. Soon she added a sportswear store in the Normandy resort town of Deauville, where Coco set the tone for her defining sense of style — traditionally masculine garments reimagined for feminine shapes, made from simple jersey fabric.
Effortless and elegant, Chanel's designs promoted comfort and grace in women’s wear that had been dominated in the previous century by complicated layers of fabric and cumbersome corsets. She followed this success with a couture house, opened in 1915 in Biarritz.
But Chanel was not born into a life of glamour. Following the death of her mother, her father left her in an orphanage where she lived until the age of 18. It was there that she learned to sew as well as appreciate the classic pairing of black and white as worn by the nuns. In 1926, she introduced her first little black dress, reclaiming a color that had once been reserved for mourning and working-class women. That same decade, she debuted her perfume, Chanel No. 5, as well as the Chanel suit with a fitted skirt, inspired by the boxy lines of men’s clothing and employing a sporty tweed.
Chanel closed her fashion operations during World War II, then returned to the industry in 1954 to design for the functional needs of modern women. Structure and wearability endured in all of Chanel’s clothing and accessories, like the quilted leather 2.55 handbag introduced in 1955 with its gold-chain shoulder strap that freed up a woman’s hands. Chanel's collarless jacket reacted against the constricting styles of Christian Dior's New Look, replacing them with a design that was timeless, an instant classic. The 1957 two-tone slingback pumps had a practical heel height while offering a bold statement in the black tip of the shoes.
After Coco Chanel died in 1971, the brand underwent several changes in leadership, including fashion designer Karl Lagerfeld, who took over as artistic director in 1983. Over the years, the company has continued to innovate, such as expanding into ready-to-wear fashion in 1978 and, in 2002, establishing a subsidiary company — Paraffection — dedicated to preserving the heritage skills of fashion artisan workshops. The House of Chanel still operates its flagship on rue Cambon in Paris, where it all began.
|Average Sold Price|
Early 2000s Chanel
21st Century and Contemporary Chanel
21st Century and Contemporary Chanel
Chanel’s Boy Brick Lego Bag Transforms a Barcode into Art
In the hands of Karl Lagerfeld, even running errands became a chic exercise.
A Chanel Obsessive’s Cache Extends Well beyond Her Walk-In Closet
From handbags and heels to jackets and jewels, Sharon Coplan Hurowitz has a deep admiration for (and collection of) all things Chanel.
The Stories behind the Most Famous Luxury Fashion Logos
From Chanel to YSL, the logos of some legacy fashion houses spark instant brand recognition and have come to symbolize a kind of luxury that feels at once aspirational and attainable.
How the Chanel Jacket Forever Changed What Women Wear
The classic tweed garment has been a wardrobe staple of chic women around the world since the 1950s.
The Personal Luxury Goods Market amid COVID-19
1stDibs dealers discuss the challenges of this unprecedented time, and the signs of hope.
100 Designs That Encapsulate the Power of Chanel
To truly understand the brand, you need to get to know Coco and Karl.
14 Iconic Luxury Handbags and the Stories behind Them
When the name of a bag is as well-known as its brand, you know it's a classic.
The Best Ways to Dress for Your Astrological Sign
Makeup and astrology expert Linda Mason dispenses fashion advice for every zodiac sign. Does your wardrobe match your horoscope?
Chanel fashion for sale on 1stDibs
- Is Chanel a luxury brand?1 Answer1stDibs ExpertFebruary 22, 2021Yes, Chanel is one of the most desirable luxury brands in the world. This top-class designer brand creates their products from quality raw materials and high production methods while employing some of the best-known talent in the fashion world. Find many Chanel accessories and apparel on 1stDibs.
- Does Chanel have men’s clothes?1 Answer1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022Chanel doesn't usually make men's clothing. The brand has never offered a full menswear line. However, Chanel does have partnerships with designers that occasionally yield items for men such as suits or neckties.
- 1stDibs ExpertFebruary 22, 2021The latest prices for the Chanel wallet on chain is $3,100. There are many variations of this classic design, with some selling for closer to $2,100.
- How do I store Chanel boy bags?1 Answer1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022Chanel recommends storing your boy bags by wrapping the chains or straps in tissue paper and storing them upright in the original pouch. Other sources suggest stuffing the bag with acid-free tissue paper to support its shape and make sure the chain or strap is well-padded so it doesn’t imprint the bag. Shop a collection of expertly vetted vintage and new Chanel bags from some of the world’s top boutiques on 1stDibs.
- 1stDibs ExpertApril 5, 2022You can buy a Chanel Mini Flap bag directly from Chanel’s website or one of Chanel’s boutiques. Additionally, you may find a Chanel Mini Flap bag in one of Chanel’s retail partners’ stores. Shop a collection of authentic Chanel Mini Flap bags from some of the world’s top boutiques on 1stDibs.