Cartier Granite Rimless Sunglasses
About the Item
For its extraordinary range of bracelets, watches, rings and other adornments, French luxury house Cartier is undeniably one of the most well known and internationally revered jewelers in the world among clients both existing and aspirational.
Perhaps 1847 was not the ideal time to open a new watchmaking and jewelry business, as the French Revolution was not kind to the aristocracy who could afford such luxuries. Nevertheless, it was the year Louis-François Cartier (1819–1904) — who was born into poverty — founded his eponymous empire, assuming control of the workshop of watchmaker Adolphe Picard, under whom he had previously been employed as an assistant. Of course, in the beginning, it was a relatively modest affair, but by the late 1850s, Cartier had its first royal client, Princess Mathilde Bonaparte, niece of Napoleon Bonaparte, who commissioned the jeweler to design brooches, earrings and other accessories.
Under the leadership of Louis-François’s son, Alfred, who took over in 1874, business boomed. Royalty around the world wore Cartier pieces, including Tsar Nicholas II of Russia, the Maharaja of Patiala and King Edward VII, who had 27 tiaras made by the jewelry house for his coronation in 1902 and issued Cartier a royal warrant in 1904. (Today, the British royal family still dons Cartier pieces; Kate Middleton, Duchess of Cambridge, regularly sports a Ballon Bleu de Cartier watch.)
Cartier’s golden years, however, began when Alfred introduced his three sons, Louis, Pierre and Jacques, to the business. The brothers expanded Cartier globally: Louis reigned in Paris, Pierre in New York and Jacques in London, ensuring their brand’s consistency at their branches across the world. The trio also brought in such talents as Charles Jacqueau and Jeanne Toussaint.
One of Cartier’s earliest major successes was the Santos de Cartier watch — one of the world's first modern wristwatches for men. (Previously, a large number of people were using only pocket watches.) Louis designed the timepiece in 1904 for his friend, popular Brazilian aviator Alberto Santos-Dumont, who wanted to be able to check the time more easily while flying.
Cartier’s other famous timepieces include the Tank watch, which was inspired by the linear form of military tanks during World War I, and the so-called mystery clocks. Invented by watchmaker and magician Jean-Eugène Robert-Houdin and later crafted exclusively for Cartier in the house’s workshop by watchmaker Maurice Couët, the mystery clocks were so named because the integration of glass dials on which the clocks’ hands would seemingly float as well as structures that are hidden away within the base give the illusion that they operate without machinery.
On the jewelry side of the business, Cartier’s internationally renowned offerings include the Tutti Frutti collection, which featured colorful carved gemstones inspired by Jacques’s trip to India and grew in popularity during the Art Deco years; the panthère motif, which has been incorporated into everything from brooches to rings; and the Love bracelet, a minimal, modernist locking bangle inspired by medieval chastity belts that transformed fine jewelry.
While the Cartier family sold the business following the death of Pierre in 1964, the brand continues to innovate today, renewing old hits and creating new masterpieces.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Scottsdale, AZ
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
- Cartier Two-Tone Oval GlassesBy CartierLocated in Scottsdale, AZA favorite of both jewelry and fashion lovers, Cartier is always a classic! Circa 1980s, these glasses feature a two-tone silver and 18k gold plated frame with a knotted design on th...Category
1980s French Sunglasses
- Dolce & Gabbana Red Oversized Logo SunglassesBy D&G by DOLCE & GABBANALocated in Scottsdale, AZThese Dolce & Gabbana sunglasses will make you the most stylish person in the room. The oversized frames and the bold branding will make a statement. These sunglasses are in a red hot color, with grey tinted lenses, 'DOLCE' in gold on the left side of the frame, 'GABBANA' in gold on the right side, and is framed with a gold hardware. Par these sunglasses with a vintage Chanel handbag...Category
Early 2000s Italian Sunglasses
- Jean Paul Gaultier 1995 SunglassesBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Scottsdale, AZElevate your look wit these amazing Jean Paul Gaultier sunglasses! Circa 1995, these sunglasses feature an industrial rounded frame with JPG embossed on the bridge and black lenses. ...Category
1990s Japanese Sunglasses
- Versace 1990s Clear Rectangular Frame SunglassesBy VersaceLocated in Scottsdale, AZAll Eyes On You While Wearing These Killer Versace Sunglasses Circa 1990s! A dead stock treasure, these sunnies feature a clear rectangular shaped frame with cut outs on both sides. ...Category
1990s Italian Sunglasses
- Chanel Vintage Rose Bronze Oval SunglassesBy ChanelLocated in Scottsdale, AZDon't miss out on these! Circa 1990s, these small oval sunnies have a brushed bronze frame with black lenses and "Chanel" on each arm. Chic and forever in style, these Chanel sunnies...Category
1990s Italian Sunglasses
- Chanel 1994 Vintage 90's Rare White Limited Edition SunglassesBy ChanelLocated in Miami, FLChanel Rare White Vintage 90's Sunglasses Lens: Solid Black Frame Color: White Style: Round Year: 1994s Made in Italy Condition: Very good vintageCategory
1990s Italian Sunglasses
- Vintage Dolce Gabbana SunglassesBy Dolce & GabbanaLocated in Bilbao, ESDOLCE & GABBANA DG 4098 1752/8G Red Blue Aunthentic Sunglasses 58-18 Vintage luxury oversized Dolce Gabbana sunglasses for women Made Italy Lens Size: 5,71cm 2.25inches x 5,71cm 2'25inches . READY TO SHIP *Shipment of this piece is not affected by COVID-19. Orders welcome!* Pradera Fashion...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Sunglasses
- Vintage Ralph Lauren SunglassesBy Ralph Lauren, Polo Ralph LaurenLocated in Bilbao, ESSunglasses RALPH RA5250 169294 RALPH RA5250 169294 sunglasses are ideal for a wide variety of personalities who stand out for their essence and have a predilection for good taste F...Category
1990s American Sunglasses
Recently ViewedView All
Nothing Says Summer Heat Like This Ruby-Red Cartier Stunner
The vintage bombé ring is bursting with color and timeless style.
Gems by David Webb, Cartier and Van Cleef & Arpels Anchor The Back Vault’s Treasure Trove
Boasting one of the largest collections of David Webb in the world, the firm offers exceptional jewels — always in demand yet never in short supply.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery