- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Hans Wegner GE6 Sofa Daybed for GETAMA
- CreatorHans J. Wegner (Designer)
- DimensionsHeight: 29.5 in (74.93 cm)Width: 75 in (190.5 cm)Depth: 33.5 in (85.09 cm)Seat Height: 16 in (40.64 cm)
- StyleMid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1956
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use.
- Seller LocationVancouver, CA
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU1386223228012
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Vancouver, Canada
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
About the Designer
Hans J. Wegner
Best known for his chairs and seating pieces — though a master of many furniture types like sofas and tables — Hans Wegner was a prolific designer whose elegant, often ebullient, forms and devotion to the finest methods in joinery made "Danish Modern" a popular byword for stylish, well-made furniture in the mid-20th century.
Wegner considered himself a carpenter first and a furniture designer second. Like his peers Arne Jacobsen and Finn Juhl, Wegner believed that striking aesthetics in furniture were based on a foundation of practicality: a chair must be comfortable and sturdy before it is chic.
In keeping with that tenet, several of Wegner’s best chair designs, seen in dealer listings below, have their roots in traditional seating forms. The Peacock chair (designed in 1947) is a throne-like adaptation of the Windsor chair; pieces from the China chair series (begun in 1944) as well as the 1949 Wishbone chair, with its distinctive Y-shaped back splat, are derived from 17th-century Ming seating pieces, as is the upholstered Ox chair (1960). Wegner’s comfy Papa Bear chair (1951) is an almost surreally re-scaled English wingback chair.
Wegner’s most representative piece, the Round chair (1949), gained a footnote in political history when it was used on the TV stage of the first Kennedy-Nixon debate of 1960. That chair, along with Wegner’s more bravura designs, for example the 1963 Shell chair, with its curved surfboard-shaped seat, bring a quietly sculptural presence to a room. Wegner was a designer who revered his primary material — wood — and it shows. His wood gathers patina and character with age; every Hans Wegner piece testifies to the life it has led.
- English Made Oxblood Leather SofaLocated in Vancouver, British ColumbiaEnglish three-seat Oxblood leather sofa on turned mahogany bun feet with brass castors. Exceptionally comfortable sofa, the leather in excellent condition. English-made. Measures:...Category
Late 20th Century English Georgian SofasMaterials
- Sheepskin Sofa by Fritz Henningsen C.1950 Mid-Century ModernLocated in Vancouver, British ColumbiaSheepskin covered sofa by Fritz Henningsen C.1950. MCM Century Modern.Category
Mid-20th Century Swedish Mid-Century Modern SofasMaterials
- Classic English Rolled Arm Oxblood Leather Two Seat SofaLocated in Vancouver, British ColumbiaClassic rolled-arm English-made two seat sofa in oxblood leather. Brass nail head details; raised on turned mahogany bun feet with brass castors. Leather in excellent condition. Purc...Category
Late 20th Century English Georgian LoveseatsMaterials
- 19th Century French Chaise Longue 'Duchesse Brisee' from Paris.Located in Vancouver, British ColumbiaAn elegant early 19th century Louis XVI style painted, French Louis XVI-style ‘Duchesse Brisee’ or Chaise Longue (sometimes incorrectly pronounced 'Chaise Lounge'). Structurally sou...Category
Antique Early 19th Century French Louis XVI Chaise LonguesMaterials
- English Rolled Arm Button Tufted Leather Love Seat SofaLocated in Vancouver, British ColumbiaEnglish-made vintage rolled-arm button-tufted ox blood leather loveseat or sofa.Category
Mid-20th Century English Victorian LoveseatsMaterials
- English 1930’s Art Deco Club Sofa and ChairsLocated in Vancouver, British ColumbiaEnglish Art Deco period three-piece suite consisting of a pair of leather club chairs and a sofa. Nicely-proportioned set with classic rolled arms and brass stud details. Unusual dim...Category
Vintage 1930s English Art Deco Living Room SetsMaterials
Leather$6,500 / set
- Hans J. Wegner GE6 Daybed Sofa for GETAMABy Hans J. Wegner, GETAMALocated in Brooklyn, NYThe perfect New York sofa and guest bed, and one of the finest daybed designs of the era. The model GE6 Daybed designed by Hans J. Wegner for GETAMA. This brilliantly constructed sof...Category
Vintage 1950s Scandinavian Modern DaybedsMaterials
- Hans J. Wegner GE6 Daybed Sofa for GETAMABy GETAMA, Hans J. WegnerLocated in Buffalo, NYThe perfect New York sofa and guest bed, and one of the finest daybed designs of the era. The model GE6 Daybed designed by Hans J. Wegner for GETAMA. This brilliantly constructed sof...Category
Vintage 1950s Danish Scandinavian Modern DaybedsMaterials
- Midcentury Danish Oak & Teak Model GE6 Sofabed by Hans J Wegner for GetamaBy Hans J. Wegner, GETAMALocated in Surrey, GBA midcentury Danish sofa bed designed by Hans J Wegner for Getama model GE6 made in oak and teak. Very rare early model. Stain to interior sheet.Category
Mid-20th Century Danish Mid-Century Modern DaybedsMaterials
- Hans J. Wegner for Getama GE-7 DaybedBy Hans J. WegnerLocated in West Palm Beach, FLHans J. Wegner for Getama GE-7 daybed. Rare walnut, teak and cane combination. Original leather cushion with warm patina. Daybed has been refinished. Would work well in a variety...Category
Vintage 1950s European Mid-Century Modern DaybedsMaterials
Teak, Walnut, Leather, Cane
- Vintage Danish Oak Daybed GE259 by Hans J. Wegner for Getama, 1970sBy Hans J. Wegner, GETAMALocated in Asaa, DKVintage Danish Oak daybed GE 259 by Hans J. Wegner for Getama, 1970s. Danish modern design icon GE-259 convertible sofa by renowned Danish designer Hans J. Wegner. Elegant and pract...Category
Vintage 1970s Danish Scandinavian Modern SofasMaterials
- Hans J. Wegner 1950s Danish Modern Daybed "Ge-258" Made at GETAMABy GETAMA, Hans J. WegnerLocated in Odense, DKDesigned by Hans Wegner for GETAMA this convertible daybed / sofa features a beautifully patinated oak frame and wool upholstery. The back reveals a hidden space for blankets, pillow...Category
Vintage 1950s Danish Scandinavian Modern DaybedsMaterials
Recently ViewedView More
Design Icon Ilse Crawford on Her Colorful New Hans Wegner Chairs
If anyone is brave, humble and adept enough to recolor these mid-century masterpieces, it’s Ilse Crawford. Here, she gives us the details on her five earthy paint choices and tells us how she feels about design collaborations.
The 16 Most Popular Mid-Century Modern Chairs
You know the designs, now get the stories about to how they came to be.