- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
GE236/4 Sofa by Hans J. Wegner for Getama
- DimensionsHeight: 28.75 in (73 cm)Width: 92.92 in (236 cm)Depth: 33.47 in (85 cm)
- StyleMid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1960-1969
- Seller LocationIzegem, BE
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU7230230130362
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Izegem, Belgium
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
About the Designer
Hans J. Wegner
Best known for his chairs and seating pieces — though a master of many furniture types like sofas and tables — Hans Wegner was a prolific designer whose elegant, often ebullient, forms and devotion to the finest methods in joinery made "Danish Modern" a popular byword for stylish, well-made furniture in the mid-20th century.
Wegner considered himself a carpenter first and a furniture designer second. Like his peers Arne Jacobsen and Finn Juhl, Wegner believed that striking aesthetics in furniture were based on a foundation of practicality: a chair must be comfortable and sturdy before it is chic.
In keeping with that tenet, several of Wegner’s best chair designs, seen in dealer listings below, have their roots in traditional seating forms. The Peacock chair (designed in 1947) is a throne-like adaptation of the Windsor chair; pieces from the China chair series (begun in 1944) as well as the 1949 Wishbone chair, with its distinctive Y-shaped back splat, are derived from 17th-century Ming seating pieces, as is the upholstered Ox chair (1960). Wegner’s comfy Papa Bear chair (1951) is an almost surreally re-scaled English wingback chair.
Wegner’s most representative piece, the Round chair (1949), gained a footnote in political history when it was used on the TV stage of the first Kennedy-Nixon debate of 1960. That chair, along with Wegner’s more bravura designs, for example the 1963 Shell chair, with its curved surfboard-shaped seat, bring a quietly sculptural presence to a room. Wegner was a designer who revered his primary material — wood — and it shows. His wood gathers patina and character with age; every Hans Wegner piece testifies to the life it has led.
- Parallel Bar Armchairs & Sofa by Florence Knoll for Knoll InternationalBy Florence KnollLocated in Izegem, VWVThe Model 51, beter known as the Parallel Bar series with a brushed chrome and black finish steel frame were designed by Florence Knoll in 1955 for Knoll International. This set, ...Category
Mid-20th Century Belgian Mid-Century Modern Living Room SetsMaterials
- Leather Sz02 Sling Armchairs by Martin Visser for 'T SpectrumBy Martin Visser, 't Spectrum BergeijkLocated in Izegem, VWVThese modern, minimalist easy chairs are made of a tubular brushed steel in combination with soft, patinated cognac leather upholstery. The armrests are covered in cognac leather to ...Category
Mid-20th Century Dutch Mid-Century Modern Club ChairsMaterials
- Lounge Swivel Chair & Ottoman by Geoffrey David Harcourt for ArtifortBy Geoffrey D. Harcourt, ArtifortLocated in Izegem, VWVThis F140 swivel chair with matching footstool was designed by Geoffrey Harcourt for Artifort in 1970. This ultra comfortable relax chair from the space-age era has an aluminum tulip...Category
Mid-20th Century Dutch Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Red Leather Lounge Chair & Ottoman by Charles Eames for VitraBy Charles Eames, VitraLocated in Izegem, VWVThe iconic 670 lounge chair with the 671 hocker designed by Charles Eames for Herman Miller in 1956. A beautiful design classic with fantastic seating comfort. This set was produc...Category
Mid-20th Century Swiss Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Wicker Pk22 Lounge Chair by Poul Kjærholm for Fritz HansenBy Fritz HansenLocated in Izegem, VWVThe PK22 Lounge chair was designed in 1956 by Poul Kjærholm. This is a later version in hand-woven rattan and brushed steel produced by Fritz Hansen. The PK22 has the subtle silho...Category
Mid-20th Century Danish Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- 5559 Extendable Pedestal Dining Table by George Nelson for Herman MillerBy Herman Miller, George NelsonLocated in Izegem, VWVThe table can be adjusted to 3 lengths by 2 additional insert plates: 183 cm, 233,5 cm or 284 cm. The shelves are stored under the tabletop.Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room TablesMaterials
- Danish GE236/3 s by Hans J. Wegner for Getama, 1960sBy Hans J. Wegner, GETAMALocated in Elshout, NLA much renowned piece of the Hans J. Wegner furniture collection is this three-seater sofa model GE-236/3 produced by Getama. Truly remarkable design that looks great from any angle....Category
Vintage 1960s Danish Mid-Century Modern SofasMaterials
- GE-236 Three-Seat Sofa by Hans Wegner for GETAMABy Hans J. Wegner, GETAMALocated in Dorchester, MAHans Wegner designed this comfortable three-seat sofa, model GE-236, for GETAMA in the mid-1950s. It features an angled solid oak frame whose slats create a handsome lattice in back....Category
Vintage 1950s Danish Scandinavian Modern SofasMaterials
- Hans J Wegner "GE236/4" Sofa by GETAMA in Original Patched Leather Denmark 1950sBy Hans J. WegnerLocated in Los Angeles, CAHans J Wegner "GE236/4" sofa by GETAMA in original patched leather, Denmark, 1950s Hans J Wegner "GE236 / 4" sofa - by GETAMA in original patched leather upholstery - Denmark 1950...Category
Mid-20th Century Swedish Mid-Century Modern SofasMaterials
Leather, Teak$5,625 Sale Price25% Off
- Hans J. Wegner GE6 Daybed Sofa for GETAMABy Hans J. Wegner, GETAMALocated in Brooklyn, NYThe perfect New York sofa and guest bed, and one of the finest daybed designs of the era. The model GE6 Daybed designed by Hans J. Wegner for GETAMA. This brilliantly constructed sof...Category
Vintage 1950s Scandinavian Modern DaybedsMaterials
- Hans J. Wegner GE6 Daybed Sofa for GETAMABy GETAMA, Hans J. WegnerLocated in Buffalo, NYThe perfect New York sofa and guest bed, and one of the finest daybed designs of the era. The model GE6 Daybed designed by Hans J. Wegner for GETAMA. This brilliantly constructed sof...Category
Vintage 1950s Danish Scandinavian Modern DaybedsMaterials
- Danish Mid-Century Modern Oak & Leather Sofa GE 236/3 by Hans Wegner for GETAMABy Hans J. Wegner, GETAMALocated in VANCOUVER, CAOak & leather Danish sofa, model GE 236/3 by Hans Wegner for Getama, circa 1960's. Three seat sofa frame is constructed of solid oak. Removable, newly redone, cognac leather cushions...Category
Vintage 1960s Danish Scandinavian Modern SofasMaterials
Recently ViewedView More
Design Icon Ilse Crawford on Her Colorful New Hans Wegner Chairs
If anyone is brave, humble and adept enough to recolor these mid-century masterpieces, it’s Ilse Crawford. Here, she gives us the details on her five earthy paint choices and tells us how she feels about design collaborations.
The 16 Most Popular Mid-Century Modern Chairs
You know the designs, now get the stories about to how they came to be.