- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Hans J. Wegner GE-259 Adjustable Cane Daybed for GETAMA
- DimensionsHeight: 28.50 in. (72.39 cm)Width: 78 in. (198.12 cm)Depth: 35 in. (88.9 cm)Seat Height: 17 in. (43.18 cm)
- StyleMid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1950s
- ConditionReupholstered. Refinished. Newly Refinished, Newly Reupholstered.
- Seller LocationLos Angeles, CA
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU971120125592
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRates vary by destination and complexity. We recommend this shipping type based on item size, type and fragility.Ships From: Los Angeles, CA
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
About Hans J. Wegner (Designer)
Best known for his chairs and seating pieces — though a master of many furniture types like sofas and tables — Hans Wegner was a prolific designer whose elegant, often ebullient, forms and devotion to the finest methods in joinery made "Danish Modern" a popular byword for stylish, well-made furniture in the mid-20th century.
Wegner considered himself a carpenter first and a furniture designer second. Like his peers Arne Jacobsen and Finn Juhl, Wegner believed that striking aesthetics in furniture were based on a foundation of practicality: a chair must be comfortable and sturdy before it is chic.
In keeping with that tenet, several of Wegner’s best chair designs, seen in dealer listings below, have their roots in traditional seating forms. The Peacock chair (designed in 1947) is a throne-like adaptation of the Windsor chair; pieces from the China chair series (begun in 1944) as well as the 1949 Wishbone chair, with its distinctive Y-shaped back splat, are derived from 17th-century Ming seating pieces, as is the upholstered Ox chair (1960). Wegner’s comfy Papa Bear chair (1951) is an almost surreally re-scaled English wingback chair.
Wegner’s most representative piece, the Round chair (1949), gained a footnote in political history when it was used on the TV stage of the first Kennedy-Nixon debate of 1960. That chair, along with Wegner’s more bravura designs, for example the 1963 Shell chair, with its curved surfboard-shaped seat, bring a quietly sculptural presence to a room. Wegner was a designer who revered his primary material — wood — and it shows. His wood gathers patina and character with age; every Hans Wegner piece testifies to the life it has led.
A specialist in mid-century modern furnishings and decorative arts, Danish Modern LA focuses on Scandinavian and American pieces by iconic designers like Hans J. Wegner, Greta M. Grossman, Finn Juhl, George Nelson and Florence Knoll. For the past 15 years, the firm’s talented and dedicated artisans have been refreshing and refinishing...
- By Hans J. Wegner, GETAMALocated in Los Angeles, CAOne of the most luxurious and comfortable daybeds from Denmark is this iconic model GE19 designed by architect H...Category
Vintage 1950s Danish Mid-Century Modern BenchesMaterials
BrassH 16 in. W 75 in. D 30 in.$7,800
- By GETAMA, Hans J. WegnerLocated in Los Angeles, CAHans J. Wegner GE-290 oak lounge chair with ottoman for GETAMA Dimensions 37in H x 30in W x 35in D Seat h...Category
Vintage 1950s Danish Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
Fabric, Foam, Wood, OakH 37 in. W 30 in. D 35 in.$4,750
- By Fritz Hansen, Hans J. WegnerLocated in Los Angeles, CASet of four ‘Heart’ shaped dining chairs designed by Hans J. Wegner for Fritz Hansen in Denmark in 1952. Like ma...Category
Vintage 1950s Danish Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
Wood, Beech, TeakH 28.75 in. W 21 in. D 17.75 in.$4,750 / set
- By Johannes Hansen, Hans J. WegnerLocated in Los Angeles, CAPair of JH-509 armchairs designed by iconic Danish furniture designer Hans J. Wegner for Johannes Hansen in Denm...Category
Vintage 1950s Danish Mid-Century Modern ArmchairsMaterials
Leather, Wood, WalnutH 36 in. W 26 in. D 22 in.$4,500 / set
- By Hans J. Wegner, Ry MøblerLocated in Los Angeles, CAOne of the most sought after credenzas from Denmark is this iconic "President" model designed by architect Hans ...Category
Vintage 1960s Danish Mid-Century Modern CredenzasMaterials
SteelH 31.25 in. W 78.75 in. D 19.25 in.$13,750
You May Also Like
Vintage 1950s Scandinavian Modern Daybeds
Mid-20th Century Danish Mid-Century Modern Sofas
Vintage 1960s Danish Mid-Century Modern Sofas
Upholstery, Oak, Fabric
Vintage 1950s Danish Scandinavian Modern Daybeds
Upholstery, Oak, Rattan
Vintage 1960s Danish Mid-Century Modern Sofas
Vintage 1950s Danish Mid-Century Modern Sofas
Vintage 1950s Danish Scandinavian Modern Sofas
Vintage 1950s Danish Mid-Century Modern Daybeds
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Insured Global Delivery