"Day & Night" Diamond Drop Earrings with Detachable Drops by Cartier
View Similar Items
"Day & Night" Diamond Drop Earrings with Detachable Drops by Cartier
About the Designer
For its extraordinary range of bracelets, watches, rings and other adornments, French luxury house Cartier is undeniably one of the most well known and internationally revered jewelers in the world among clients both existing and aspirational.
Perhaps 1847 was not the ideal time to open a new watchmaking and jewelry business, as the French Revolution was not kind to the aristocracy who could afford such luxuries. Nevertheless, it was the year Louis-François Cartier (1819–1904) — who was born into poverty — founded his eponymous empire, assuming control of the workshop of watchmaker Adolphe Picard, under whom he had previously been employed as an assistant. Of course, in the beginning, it was a relatively modest affair, but by the late 1850s, Cartier had its first royal client, Princess Mathilde Bonaparte, niece of Napoleon Bonaparte, who commissioned the jeweler to design brooches, earrings and other accessories.
Under the leadership of Louis-François’s son, Alfred, who took over in 1874, business boomed. Royalty around the world wore Cartier pieces, including Tsar Nicholas II of Russia, the Maharaja of Patiala and King Edward VII, who had 27 tiaras made by the jewelry house for his coronation in 1902 and issued Cartier a royal warrant in 1904. (Today, the British royal family still dons Cartier pieces; Kate Middleton, Duchess of Cambridge, regularly sports a Ballon Bleu de Cartier watch.)
Cartier’s golden years, however, began when Alfred introduced his three sons, Louis, Pierre and Jacques, to the business. The brothers expanded Cartier globally: Louis reigned in Paris, Pierre in New York and Jacques in London, ensuring their brand’s consistency at their branches across the world. The trio also brought in such talents as Charles Jacqueau and Jeanne Toussaint.
One of Cartier’s earliest major successes was the Santos de Cartier watch — one of the world's first modern wristwatches for men. (Previously, a large number of people were using only pocket watches.) Louis designed the timepiece in 1904 for his friend, popular Brazilian aviator Alberto Santos-Dumont, who wanted to be able to check the time more easily while flying.
Cartier’s other famous timepieces include the Tank watch, which was inspired by the linear form of military tanks during World War I, and the so-called mystery clocks. Invented by watchmaker and magician Jean-Eugène Robert-Houdin and later crafted exclusively for Cartier in the house’s workshop by watchmaker Maurice Couët, the mystery clocks were so named because the integration of glass dials on which the clocks’ hands would seemingly float as well as structures that are hidden away within the base give the illusion that they operate without machinery.
On the jewelry side of the business, Cartier’s internationally renowned offerings include the Tutti Frutti collection, which featured colorful carved gemstones inspired by Jacques’s trip to India and grew in popularity during the Art Deco years; the panthère motif, which has been incorporated into everything from brooches to rings; and the Love bracelet, a minimal, modernist locking bangle inspired by medieval chastity belts that transformed fine jewelry.
While the Cartier family sold the business following the death of Pierre in 1964, the brand continues to innovate today, renewing old hits and creating new masterpieces.
- Georgian Magnificent Antique Diamond Drop Earrings Circa 1800Located in London, GBA magnificent pair of Georgian diamond drop earrings c.1800, each earring set to the top with an old European brilliant cut diamond in a...Category
Antique Early 19th Century British Drop EarringsMaterials
White Diamond, 18k Gold, Silver$452,466Free Shipping
- Art Deco Pair of Art Deco Diamond Drop Earrings, circa 1935Located in London, GBA stunning pair of Art Deco diamond drop earrings c.1935, each designed as a long drop of three graduated old European brilliant cut diamonds weighing a combined total of 7.67cts, in...Category
Mid-20th Century English Drop EarringsMaterials
White Diamond, Platinum$122,812Free Shipping
- Amy Burton Diamond and 18ct White Gold 'Covalent' Earrings Geometric ArticulatedBy HancocksLocated in London, GBA stunning pair of diamond-set Covalent drop earrings by Amy Burton, the earrings of striking three dimensional geometric design each composed of thirteen spheres set with a round brilliant-cut diamond and linked by finely articulated narrow bars...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Chandelier EarringsMaterials
Diamond, White Gold$16,159Free Shipping
- Tiffany Platinum And Diamond 'Lynn' Earrings Designed By SchlumbergerBy Tiffany & Co.Located in London, GBA pair of platinum and diamond ‘Lynn’ earrings designed by Jean Schlumberger for Tiffany & Co., the earrings formed of a stylised wavy X shape with tapering ends in polished platinum...Category
21st Century and Contemporary American Stud EarringsMaterials
White Diamond, Platinum$3,813Free Shipping
- Cartier 18ct Yellow Gold And Diamond Maillon de Panthère Earrings Circa 2000sBy CartierLocated in London, GBA pair of 18ct gold and diamond Maillon de Panthère earrings by Cartier c.2000s, each earring designed as a wide domed hoop formed of five rows of rectangular bricks, each set with r...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Clip-on EarringsMaterials
White Diamond, 18k Gold$21,330Free Shipping
- Cartier Diamond And Platinum Line Bracelet Circa 1920sBy CartierLocated in London, GBA classic diamond and platinum line bracelet by Cartier c.1920s, the bracelet composed of forty three old brilliant cut diamonds each set within a fine open backed platinum square co...Category
Early 20th Century French Tennis BraceletsMaterials
White Diamond, Platinum$35,550Free Shipping
- Detachable Drop Citrine Earrings with DiamondsLocated in New York, NY-Mint condition, detachable earrings -18k Yellow Gold -Length: 1.8” -Citrine: 28ct -Diamonds: 3.6ct, VS/F -Retail:$ 9500Category
2010s Drop Earrings$3,900Free Shipping
- Diamond Day & Night Pearl EarringsLocated in New York, NYDiamond Day & Night Pearl Earrings A pair of platinum and 14 karat white gold earrings set with approximately 3.42 carats of round cut diamonds, and approximately 3.28 carats of bag...Category
Vintage 1980s Drop EarringsMaterials
Diamond, Pearl, Gold, 14k Gold, White Gold, Platinum$25,000Free Shipping
- 1980s Diamond Ruby Platinum Halo Dangle Drop Day Night EarringsBy Lili JewelryLocated in Miami, FLDazzle yourself day or night with these Glamorous Red Ruby & Diamond Earrings. Clip-on with foldable post crafted in luxurious Platinum. Surrounded by a halo of (74) round-cut, ...Category
Vintage 1980s North American Dangle EarringsMaterials
Diamond, Ruby, Platinum$27,999Free Shipping
- Door Knob Diamond 18 Karat Yellow Gold Detachable Day Night Clip on EarringsLocated in Miami, FLThese chic late 70’s diamond and gold earrings are crafted in solid 18-karat yellow gold, weighing 39 grams and measuring 2.25” long x 29mm wide (max). It features 16 round cut, pron...Category
Vintage 1970s Dangle EarringsMaterials
Diamond, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold$5,999Free Shipping
- E-DDTS, Detachable Pear Shape Dome Drop Earrings with Diamond & TsavoriteLocated in New York, NYDetachable Pear Shape Dome Drop Earrings with Diamond & Tsavorite Ear drop part can turn 360 in any direction. Metal: Platinum Diamond/Stone Info: G/H SI, 28...Category
21st Century and Contemporary American Modern Drop EarringsMaterials
Diamond, Tsavorite, Platinum$46,831 Sale Price35% OffFree Shipping
- Mid-Victorian Rose Cut Diamond Day to Night Drop EarringsLocated in Hummelstown, PAThese romantic mid-Victorian diamond day-to-night earrings are composed of a detachable rose cut diamond top that gracefully suspends a softly shimmering rose-cut diamond frame and c...Category
Antique 1870s English Victorian Drop EarringsMaterials
Diamond, 9k Gold, Silver$9,900Free Shipping
Recently ViewedView All
How to Spot a Fake Cartier Love Bracelet
This iconic jewel has captured countless hearts with its elegant design and its amatory symbolism. Counterfeiters have taken note of the demand and created fake versions. If you’re looking for a genuine Cartier Love bracelet, it’s crucial to check all the elements for authenticity. Our guide will teach you the telltale traits of a knockoff.
The 14 Most Iconic Watches for Women
Style, craft and heritage combine to make these designs undeniable classics.