- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Vintage 1970s 18 Karat Gold Cartier Cabochon Chalcedony Bubble Ring
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingFree Standard Shippingto anywhere in the world, arrives in 8-10 days, excluding production time. We recommend this shipping type based on item size, type and fragility.Delivered by a parcel delivery service such as UPS, FedEx, or DHL.Ships From: New York, NY
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 7 days of delivery.
About Cartier (Designer)
Perhaps 1847 was not the ideal time to open a new watchmaking and jewelry business, as the French Revolution was not kind to the aristocracy who could afford such luxuries. Nevertheless, it was the year Louis-François Cartier (1819–1904) — who was born into poverty — founded his eponymous empire, assuming control of the workshop of watchmaker Adolphe Picard, under whom he had previously been employed as an assistant. Of course, in the beginning, it was a relatively modest affair, but by the late 1850s, Cartier had its first royal client, Princess Mathilde Bonaparte, niece of Napoleon Bonaparte, who commissioned the jeweler to design brooches, earrings and other accessories.
Under the leadership of Louis-François’s son, Alfred, who took over in 1874, business boomed. Royalty around the world wore Cartier pieces, including Tsar Nicholas II of Russia, the Maharaja of Patiala and King Edward VII, who had 27 tiaras made by the jewelry house for his coronation in 1902 and issued Cartier a royal warrant in 1904. (Today, the British royal family still dons Cartier pieces; Kate Middleton, Duchess of Cambridge, regularly sports a Ballon Bleu de Cartier watch.)
Cartier’s golden years, however, began when Alfred introduced his three sons, Louis, Pierre and Jacques, to the business. The brothers expanded Cartier globally: Louis reigned in Paris, Pierre in New York and Jacques in London, ensuring their brand’s consistency at their branches across the world. The trio also brought in such talents as Charles Jacqueau and Jeanne Toussaint.
One of Cartier’s earliest major successes was the Santos de Cartier watch — one of the world's first modern wristwatches for men. (Previously, a large number of people were using only pocket watches.) Louis designed the timepiece in 1904 for his friend, popular Brazilian aviator Alberto Santos-Dumont, who wanted to be able to check the time more easily while flying.
Cartier’s other famous timepieces include the Tank watch, which was inspired by the linear form of military tanks during World War I, and the so-called mystery clocks. Invented by watchmaker and magician Jean-Eugène Robert-Houdin and later crafted exclusively for Cartier in the house’s workshop by watchmaker Maurice Couët, the mystery clocks were so named because the integration of glass dials on which the clocks’ hands would seemingly float as well as structures that are hidden away within the base give the illusion that they operate without machinery.
On the jewelry side of the business, Cartier’s internationally renowned offerings include the Tutti Frutti collection, which featured colorful carved gemstones inspired by Jacques’s trip to India and grew in popularity during the Art Deco years; the panthère motif, which has been incorporated into everything from brooches to rings; and the Love bracelet, a minimal, modernist locking bangle reportedly inspired by medieval chastity belts.
While the Cartier family sold the business following the death of Pierre in 1964, the brand continues to innovate today, renewing old hits and creating new masterpieces. It’s certainly one of the most well known and internationally beloved jewelers in the world among clients both existing and aspirational.
On 1stDibs, find a growing collection of contemporary and vintage Cartier watches, rings, necklaces and other accessories.
xIn business since 2016, Keyamour buys and sells antique jewels suited for the modern woman, specializing in the Georgian, Victorian and Art Deco periods, with a particular emphasis on the 19th century. Each piece is chosen with care for its charm, whimsy, collectibility and beauty. And all — from Victorian earrings and bangles to Geor...
- By CartierLocated in New York, NYUnusual vintage Cartier 18k yellow gold fancy link necklace from the 1970s. This chain has panels of gold with c...Category
Late 20th Century Modern Link NecklacesMaterials
18k GoldL 28 in.$14,400 Sale Price20% OffFree Shipping
- Located in New York, NYA bold vintage 18k yellow gold coral and diamond ring, circa 1970. This large scale ring is quintessential moder...Category
Vintage 1970s Modern Cocktail RingsMaterials
Coral, Diamond, 18k Gold, Yellow GoldW 0.94 in. L 0.94 in.$12,500Free Shipping
- By CartierLocated in New York, NYVintage 18k Gold lapis and diamond ring by Cartier circa 1970. The lapis and the diamonds oppose each other on t...Category
Vintage 1970s Modern Band RingsMaterials
Diamond, Lapis Lazuli, 18k GoldW .25 in.$7,500Free Shipping
- By Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in New York, NYVintage 18k yellow gold green chalcedony and diamond ring by Van Cleef & Arpels circa 1970. The ring design is w...Category
20th Century Modern Cocktail RingsMaterials
Chalcedony, Diamond, 18k Gold
- By Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in New York, NYA mid-Century 18k gold ruby and diamond bombe bypass ring by Van Cleef & Arpels. This pretty fluted ring is set...Category
Mid-20th Century Modern Cocktail RingsMaterials
Diamond, Ruby, 18k Gold
- By ChaumetLocated in New York, NYA unique 1970s sautoir necklace by Chaumet made in 18k gold with mother of pearl, chalcedony and coral with diam...Category
Vintage 1970s Modernist More NecklacesMaterials
Chalcedony, Coral, Diamond, Pearl, 18k GoldL 26 in.$19,500Free Shipping
You May Also Like
Vintage 1970s Contemporary Cocktail Rings
Diamond, White Diamond, Tourmaline, Gold, 18k Gold, White Gold, Yellow Gold
Late 20th Century Cocktail Rings
Diamond, 18k Gold
20th Century Modern Cocktail Rings
Diamond, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold
21st Century and Contemporary Cocktail Rings
Diamond, Sapphire, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold
Early 2000s Cocktail Rings
Chalcedony, Diamond, Sapphire, 18k Gold, White Gold
Vintage 1970s Contemporary Fashion Rings
Diamond, White Diamond, Blue Sapphire, Turquoise, Gold, 18k Gold, Yellow...
21st Century and Contemporary Contemporary Cocktail Rings
Chalcedony, Diamond, 18k Gold
Vintage 1970s Retro Cocktail Rings
Diamond, Rock Crystal