Hans J. Wegner Daybed or Sofa for GETAMA Model GE7
About the Item
- Creator:Hans J. Wegner (Designer)
- Dimensions:Height: 26 in (66.04 cm)Width: 79 in (200.66 cm)Depth: 35 in (88.9 cm)Seat Height: 17 in (43.18 cm)
- Style:Scandinavian Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1950's
- Condition:Refinished. Reupholstered. Rewoven.
- Seller Location:San Francisco, CA
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU812534368922
Papa Bear Chair
Hans J. Wegner
Best known for his chairs and seating pieces — though a master of many furniture types like sofas and tables — Hans Wegner was a prolific designer whose elegant, often ebullient, forms and devotion to the finest methods in joinery made "Danish Modern" a popular byword for stylish, well-made furniture in the mid-20th century.
Wegner considered himself a carpenter first and a furniture designer second. Like his peers Arne Jacobsen and Finn Juhl, Wegner believed that striking aesthetics in furniture were based on a foundation of practicality: a chair must be comfortable and sturdy before it is chic.
In keeping with that tenet, several of Wegner’s best chair designs, seen in dealer listings below, have their roots in traditional seating forms. The Peacock chair (designed in 1947) is a throne-like adaptation of the Windsor chair; pieces from the China chair series (begun in 1944) as well as the 1949 Wishbone chair, with its distinctive Y-shaped back splat, are derived from 17th-century Ming seating pieces, as is the upholstered Ox chair (1960). Wegner’s comfy Papa Bear chair (1951) is an almost surreally re-scaled English wingback chair.
Wegner’s most representative piece, the Round chair (1949), gained a footnote in political history when it was used on the TV stage of the first Kennedy-Nixon debate of 1960. That chair, along with Wegner’s more bravura designs, for example the 1963 Shell chair, with its curved surfboard-shaped seat, bring a quietly sculptural presence to a room. Wegner was a designer who revered his primary material — wood — and it shows. His wood gathers patina and character with age; every Hans Wegner piece testifies to the life it has led.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: San Francisco, CA
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
- Hans Wegner Ottoman for GETAMABy Hans J. WegnerLocated in San Francisco, CAHans Wegner design ottoman for GETAMA, Denmark. Model GE 290 solid oak frame in very good original condition with a newly upholstered wool cushion, signed.Category
Vintage 1970s Danish Scandinavian Modern Ottomans and PoufsMaterials
- Ejvind Johansson Daybeds, Model G19 for FDB MoblerBy Ejvind A. JohanssonLocated in San Francisco, CAPair of Ejvind Johansson design teak and oak daybeds, model G19 for FDB Mobler. Very good condition.Category
Vintage 1960s Danish Scandinavian Modern DaybedsMaterials
- Hans Wegner Desk Model AT325 for Andreas TuckBy Hans J. WegnerLocated in San Francisco, CAHans Wegner desk model AT325 for Andreas Tuck, Denmark. Large and impressive desk made with high quality construction and attention to detail, newly refinished ...Category
Vintage 1960s Danish Scandinavian Modern Desks and Writing TablesMaterials
- Hans Wegner Settee Model JH 555By Hans J. WegnerLocated in San Francisco, CABeautiful and rare example by Hans Wegner, Model JH 555 for Johannes Hansen, Denmark, circa 1950. Very good original condition oak frame and original fabric, b...Category
Vintage 1950s Danish Scandinavian Modern SetteesMaterials
- Hans Wegner Credenza or Hutch for RY-Mobler, DenmarkBy Hans J. WegnerLocated in San Francisco, CAHans Wegner credenza or hutch for RY-Mobler, Denmark. High quality construction and materials executed by Hans Wegner for Ry Mobler, Model RY 20. Beautiful warm colored teak with dra...Category
Vintage 1950s Danish Scandinavian Modern CredenzasMaterials
- Hans Wegner Teak Credenza Model RY-26 for RY MoblerBy Hans J. WegnerLocated in San Francisco, CAHans Wegner design teak credenza model RY-26 for RY Mobler, Denmark. High quality construction and attention to detail made with a teak case and oak interior. In very good original c...Category
Vintage 1950s Danish Scandinavian Modern CredenzasMaterials
- Hans J. Wegner for GETAMA Sofa Daybed Model GE7 in Teak and Cane 1950sBy Hans J. WegnerLocated in Seattle, WADesigned by Hans Wegner for GETAMA this amazing convertible daybed / sofa features a beautifully patinated oak frame and woven cane / rattan back seat which reveals a hidden space fo...Category
Vintage 1950s Danish Mid-Century Modern DaybedsMaterials
- Hans J. Wegner GE6 Daybed Sofa for GETAMABy GETAMA, Hans J. WegnerLocated in Brooklyn, NYThe perfect New York sofa and guest bed, and one of the finest daybed designs of the era. The model GE6 Daybed designed by Hans J. Wegner for GETAMA. This brillia...Category
Vintage 1950s Scandinavian Modern DaybedsMaterials
- Hans J. Wegner GE6 Daybed Sofa for GETAMABy GETAMA, Hans J. WegnerLocated in Buffalo, NYThe perfect New York sofa and guest bed, and one of the finest daybed designs of the era. The model GE6 Daybed designed by Hans J. Wegner for GETAMA. This brillia...Category
Vintage 1950s Danish Scandinavian Modern DaybedsMaterials
- Hans J. Wegner GE6 Daybed Sofa for GETAMALocated in Las Vegas, NVIntroducing the timeless Hans J. Wegner GE6 daybed sofa for GETAMA. Designed by the legendary Danish furniture designer, this piece exudes elegance and sop...Category
Vintage 1950s DaybedsMaterials
- Hans Wegner GE6 Daybed Sofa for GETAMABy Hans J. WegnerLocated in Brooklyn, NYLow sofa with lifting backrest to open to a daybed. Designed by Hans Wegner with simple mid-century lines and construction. Please confirm location.Category
Mid-20th Century Mid-Century Modern SofasMaterials
Fabric$2,800 Sale Price20% Off
- Hans Wegner GE6 Sofa Daybed for GETAMABy Hans J. WegnerLocated in Vancouver, British ColumbiaA cleverly designed sofa which converts to a guest bed, and one of most iconic daybed designs of the era: the model GE6 Daybed designed by Hans J. Wegner for Geta...Category
Mid-20th Century Danish Mid-Century Modern DaybedsMaterials
- Charles Pfister for Knoll Club Chair in Cognac LeatherBy Knoll, Charles PfisterLocated in Waalwijk, NLCharles Pfister for Knoll International, lounge chair, leather, United States, 1970s This lounge chair is designed as part of a lounge collection in 1971 bij Charles Pfister. Exe...Category
Vintage 1970s American Post-Modern Club ChairsMaterials
- Portrait of Juliette Gréco, Pierre Piget, 1950Located in Saint ouen, FRPortrait of Juliette Gréco - Pierre Piget Oil on isorel signed and dated lower right Numbered on the back : 61 Dimensions with frame : 73 x 84cm S...Category
Vintage 1950s PaintingsMaterials
- Hermes Mini Lindy Magnolia Swift BNIBBy HermèsLocated in West Hollywood, CAHermes brand new in box mini lindy magnolia swift leather with palladium hardware. Date stamp U, 2022. Coveted new size , can be worn in three ways, also cr...Category
2010s French Shoulder Bags
- Cartier Ballon Bleu Steel Yellow Gold Ladies Watch W69007Z3 Box PapersBy CartierLocated in Atlanta, GACartier Ballon Bleu 28mm Steel Yellow Gold Ladies Watch W69007Z3 Box Papers. Quartz movement. Round stainless steel case 28.0 mm in diameter....Category
21st Century and Contemporary Wrist WatchesMaterials
Steel, Yellow Gold$5,367Free Shipping
- Swedish Designer, Sconce, Brass, Red-Lacquered Metal, Sweden, c. 1950sLocated in High Point, NCA brass and red-lacquered metal sconce designed and produced in Sweden, c. 1950s.Category
Vintage 1950s Swedish Scandinavian Modern Wall Lights and SconcesMaterials
Recently ViewedView More
Iconic Furniture Gives These 1stDibs 50 Rooms Timeless Appeal
A well-made armchair, table or pendant lamp can afford both comfort and convenience. An exceptional one can transform a space. See how the honorees on this year’s 1stDibs 50 list of top interior designers used standout pieces to create the kind of rooms you never want to leave.
Design Icon Ilse Crawford on Her Colorful New Hans Wegner Chairs
If anyone is brave, humble and adept enough to recolor these mid-century masterpieces, it’s Ilse Crawford. Here, she gives us the details on her five earthy paint choices and tells us how she feels about design collaborations.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery