- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Cartier Sapphire Stirrup Cufflinks
About the Item
- Metal:18k Gold,Yellow Gold
- Stone Cut:Sugarloaf Cabochon
- Weight:10 g
- Place of Origin:France
- Date of Manufacture:1950s
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:London, GB
- Reference Number:Seller: CL-952 / S20418CL1stDibs: LU389217951832
For its extraordinary range of bracelets, watches, rings and other adornments, French luxury house Cartier is undeniably one of the most well known and internationally revered jewelers in the world among clients both existing and aspirational.
Perhaps 1847 was not the ideal time to open a new watchmaking and jewelry business, as the French Revolution was not kind to the aristocracy who could afford such luxuries. Nevertheless, it was the year Louis-François Cartier (1819–1904) — who was born into poverty — founded his eponymous empire, assuming control of the workshop of watchmaker Adolphe Picard, under whom he had previously been employed as an assistant. Of course, in the beginning, it was a relatively modest affair, but by the late 1850s, Cartier had its first royal client, Princess Mathilde Bonaparte, niece of Napoleon Bonaparte, who commissioned the jeweler to design brooches, earrings and other accessories.
Under the leadership of Louis-François’s son, Alfred, who took over in 1874, business boomed. Royalty around the world wore Cartier pieces, including Tsar Nicholas II of Russia, the Maharaja of Patiala and King Edward VII, who had 27 tiaras made by the jewelry house for his coronation in 1902 and issued Cartier a royal warrant in 1904. (Today, the British royal family still dons Cartier pieces; Kate Middleton, Duchess of Cambridge, regularly sports a Ballon Bleu de Cartier watch.)
Cartier’s golden years, however, began when Alfred introduced his three sons, Louis, Pierre and Jacques, to the business. The brothers expanded Cartier globally: Louis reigned in Paris, Pierre in New York and Jacques in London, ensuring their brand’s consistency at their branches across the world. The trio also brought in such talents as Charles Jacqueau and Jeanne Toussaint.
One of Cartier’s earliest major successes was the Santos de Cartier watch — one of the world's first modern wristwatches for men. (Previously, a large number of people were using only pocket watches.) Louis designed the timepiece in 1904 for his friend, popular Brazilian aviator Alberto Santos-Dumont, who wanted to be able to check the time more easily while flying.
Cartier’s other famous timepieces include the Tank watch, which was inspired by the linear form of military tanks during World War I, and the so-called mystery clocks. Invented by watchmaker and magician Jean-Eugène Robert-Houdin and later crafted exclusively for Cartier in the house’s workshop by watchmaker Maurice Couët, the mystery clocks were so named because the integration of glass dials on which the clocks’ hands would seemingly float as well as structures that are hidden away within the base give the illusion that they operate without machinery.
On the jewelry side of the business, Cartier’s internationally renowned offerings include the Tutti Frutti collection, which featured colorful carved gemstones inspired by Jacques’s trip to India and grew in popularity during the Art Deco years; the panthère motif, which has been incorporated into everything from brooches to rings; and the Love bracelet, a minimal, modernist locking bangle inspired by medieval chastity belts that transformed fine jewelry.
While the Cartier family sold the business following the death of Pierre in 1964, the brand continues to innovate today, renewing old hits and creating new masterpieces.
On 1stDibs, find a growing collection of contemporary and vintage Cartier watches, engagement rings, necklaces and other accessories.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: London, United Kingdom
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 7 days of delivery.
- Cartier Ruby and Gold CufflinksBy CartierLocated in London, GBA pair of vintage, Cartier, gold and ruby cufflinks. Each of the double links comprise an open circle with a row of channel set, square-cut rubies, mounted in 18ct gold, signed and n...Category
Vintage 1950s French CufflinksMaterials
Ruby, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold$13,718Free Shipping
- French Gold Stirrup Cufflinks, Circa 1950Located in London, GBA pair of French engraved gold cufflinks, with folding, circle stirrup style ends, with radiating reeded engraving, with sprung double bar f...Category
Vintage 1950s French Retro CufflinksMaterials
18k Gold, Yellow Gold$3,616Free Shipping
- French Ruby and Gold Stirrup CufflinksLocated in London, GBA pair of ruby stirrup cufflinks, set with square-cut rubies, in channel settings, with sugarloaf rubies in the terminals, mounted in 18ct yellow gol...Category
Mid-20th Century French CufflinksMaterials
Ruby, 18k Gold$11,847Free Shipping
- French Gold Spring Stirrup Cufflinks, Circa 1950Located in London, GBA pair of vintage French gold stirrup cufflinks, with the body forming a heavy gauge wire spring, with double gold disc terminals and bar fittings. The spring aids the opening mechan...Category
Vintage 1950s French CufflinksMaterials
18k Gold$5,612Free Shipping
- Gold and Silver Stirrup Cufflinks, Circa 1940Located in London, GBA pair of stirrup cufflinks, mounted in silver and gold, with French marks. Circa 1940.Category
Vintage 1940s French CufflinksMaterials
18k Gold, Silver$1,496Free Shipping
- Cartier Gold Biplane Cufflinks, Inspired by Louis BlériotBy CartierLocated in London, GBA pair of Cartier gold plane cufflinks, circular gold discs with a cut-out design, one depicting the front view of a biplane, and one depicting an angled side view, with a gold bar connection, mounted in 18ct yellow gold, signed and numbered. Circa 1909 These cufflinks have been inspired by Louis...Category
Vintage 1970s French Retro CufflinksMaterials
18k Gold$11,224Free Shipping
- Cartier 'Trinity' Stirrup CufflinksBy CartierLocated in New York, NYAuthentic Cartier cufflinks crafted in 18 karat tri-color gold. The bands of yellow, white, and rose gold are accented on each end with Cartier's signature 'C' motif. Signed Cartie...Category
Late 20th Century Contemporary CufflinksMaterials
18k Gold, Rose Gold, White Gold, Yellow Gold$2,750Free Shipping
- Cartier Vintage Yellow Gold Stirrup CufflinksBy CartierLocated in Beverly Hills, CAA pair of 18k yellow gold stirrup-shaped cufflinks by Cartier. Stamped with Cartier maker's mark, a hallmark for 18k gold and French marks. Measurements: 3/4” H x 1” W. The weight is...Category
Vintage 1970s French CufflinksMaterials
18k Gold, Yellow Gold$3,500 / setFree Shipping
- Cartier 18kt Fluted Stirrup CufflinksBy CartierLocated in Narberth, PAA striking pair of cufflinks from famed maker Cartier! Crafted in vibrant 18kt yellow gold, these cufflinks have a unique hinged triangular design. The visible surface of the cufflin...Category
20th Century Contemporary CufflinksMaterials
18k Gold, Yellow Gold$4,595Free Shipping
- Cartier Maillon Panthere Gold Stirrup CufflinksBy CartierLocated in Lambertville, NJPair of 18k yelow gold stirrup cufflinks, crafted by Cartier for Maillon Panthere collection. Cufflink measures approx. 18mm x 20mm , width 7.3mm. Weigh 17 grams. Marked: F56017, 750...Category
20th Century French CufflinksMaterials
18k Gold$2,900Free Shipping
- Cartier Panthere Maillon Stirrup Gold CufflinksBy CartierLocated in Holland, PA18k Yellow Gold Panthere Maillon Stirrup Cufflinks by Cartier. Details: Measurements: 20mm x 18mm Weight: 16.8 grams Stamped Hallmarks: Cartier 750 B46002 *Free Shipping withi...Category
1990s French CufflinksMaterials
18k Gold$4,000Free Shipping
- Cartier Maillon Panthere Diamond Stirrup Cufflinks with DiamondsBy CartierLocated in Beverly Hills, CAVintage Cartier 18K yellow gold, Maillon Panthere, Stirrup Cufflinks with diamonds. These cufflinks are a part of their signature Maillon Panthere link design. The 20 round brilliant...Category
Late 20th Century French Contemporary CufflinksMaterials
Diamond, Gold, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold$3,700Free Shipping
Recently ViewedView More
Gems by David Webb, Cartier and Van Cleef & Arpels Anchor The Back Vault’s Treasure Trove
Boasting one of the largest collections of David Webb in the world, the firm offers exceptional jewels — always in demand yet never in short supply.
This 1950s Cartier Toi et Moi Ring Is a Summer Stunner
Made with Sardinian coral, this gem packs so much presence — and is perfect for poolside soirees.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery