Sputnik Drop Earrings
Mid-20th Century American Modernist Dangle Earrings
Gold, 18k Gold, White Gold, Yellow Gold
People Also Browsed
2010s Thai Contemporary Dangle Earrings
Diamond, Jade, Pearl, Gold, 18k Gold
20th Century Clip-on Earrings
Jade, Pearl, Yellow Gold
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Art Nouveau Drop Earrings
Crystal, Jade, Diamond, Ruby, White Diamond, Turquoise, Pearl, Cultured ...
Late 20th Century American Contemporary Clip-on Earrings
Coral, Black Jade, 18k Gold
Vintage 1940s Retro Clip-on Earrings
Jade, Pearl, Gold, 14k Gold, Yellow Gold
Late 20th Century Hong Kong Modern Hoop Earrings
Jade, Pearl, Gold, 14k Gold, Yellow Gold
Early 20th Century Dangle Earrings
Diamond, Jade, Natural Pearl, Platinum
20th Century Unknown Contemporary Drop Earrings
Carnelian, Pearl, Gold, 10k Gold
Vintage 1920s French Art Deco Dangle Earrings
Jade, Pearl, Natural Pearl, Black Jade, Gold, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold
20th Century French Clip-on Earrings
20th Century Unknown Retro Dangle Earrings
Emerald, 18k Gold, Gold, Yellow Gold
Late 20th Century Hong Kong Contemporary Clip-on Earrings
Jade, 18k Gold
Vintage 1910s Edwardian Dangle Earrings
Diamond, Jade, Onyx, Pearl, 18k Gold
20th Century American Modernist Dangle Earrings
Vintage 1980s Unknown Retro Stud Earrings
Diamond, White Diamond, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold, Enamel
20th Century American Retro More Earrings
Vintage 1960s American Drop Earrings
Finding the Right drop-earrings for You
Earrings are a timeless accessory. Women have been wearing studs and hoops in civilizations as far back as Ancient Egypt. Diamond drop earrings, pearl versions and other antique drop earrings have a long history as well.
While hoops will always be beautiful, drop earrings hold their own as dazzling accessories, and jewelry designers have explored different variations on this style of earring over time.
Although the term is often misapplied, true drop earrings are characterized by a long lean line ending in a pear-shaped stone that drops just below the earlobe. These accessories were popular in the Art Deco era, which encompassed the 1920s and ’30s and ushered in a very distinct look in jewelry design.
There were many influences on Art Deco jewelry; among them, the excavation of the tomb of King Tut in 1922. “Egyptomania” left an indelible mark on all of the major jewelry houses, from Cartier to Van Cleef & Arpels, Boucheron and Georges Fouquet. Today, the popularity of long Art Deco drop earrings can be attributed to the influence of Coco Chanel. These earrings are frequently characterized by simple shapes, clean lines and an integration of colorful stones such as blue sapphires, emeralds and rubies to accent the pieces’ diamonds. Indeed, during the 20th century, as technology for diamond cutting improved, diamond drop earrings and other diamond jewelry came into wide popularity. Formal examples of diamond drop earrings pair perfectly with a cocktail dress or fancy pantsuit, while gem-set and gold drop earrings make great daytime accessories.
While there are at least several types of earrings you could be wearing right now, drop earrings work well for anyone who favors a minimalist look. Whatever the occasion, find a wide range of antique, diamond and pearl drop earrings on 1stDibs.
- 1stDibs ExpertNovember 2, 2023No, drop and dangle earrings are not the same. Although both types of earrings hang below the ear, their designs are different. Dangle earrings swing when you move, while drop earrings remain stationary. On 1stDibs, find a diverse assortment of dangle and drop earrings from some of the world's top dealers.
- What are drop earrings called?1 Answer1stDibs ExpertNovember 2, 2023Drop earrings are simply called drop earrings. Although the term is often misapplied, true drop earrings are characterized by a long lean line ending in a pear-shaped stone. Popular in the Art Deco era, the design works well for jewelry lovers who favor a minimalist look. Formal examples with diamonds pair perfectly with a cocktail dress or fancy pantsuit, while gem-set and gold ones make great daytime accessories. Find vintage drop earrings on 1stDibs.
- What are geo drop earrings?1 Answer1stDibs ExpertNovember 1, 2023Geo drop earrings are drop earrings that feature a mix of geometric shapes. For example, the designs may include metal wire bent to resemble a square stacked on top of a triangle, or be set with gemstones cut into different shapes like round and pear. Because they are drop earrings, the jewelry hangs below the ear but remains stationary as you move. Explore a wide range of drop earrings on 1stDibs.
- 1stDibs ExpertJune 15, 2023The difference between a drop earring and a dangle earring is how it hangs. A drop earring extends down below the earlobe but is stationary, while a pair of dangle earrings’ design allows it to swing. On 1stDibs, find a selection of earrings.
- 1stDibs ExpertNovember 1, 2023Long drop earrings are sometimes called shoulder dusters. To earn the name, earrings must be long enough to brush against the collarbone or shoulder. Dangle earrings may also be referred to as shoulder dusters. The difference between the two is that dangle shoulder dusters swing as you move, while drop shoulder dusters remain stationary due to their designs. On 1stDibs, find a wide range of drop earrings.
- 1stDibs ExpertNovember 1, 2023Earrings that drop in the back are called front-back earrings. While many feature a drop element in the back, some front-back earrings have different designs. For example, they may feature a stud in the front with a hoop or a dangling element that goes behind the ear. Shop a wide variety of earrings on 1stDibs.
These Jean Schlumberger for Tiffany & Co. Earrings Are Just the Right Amount of Bold
Someone wanted to “modernize” the Jean Schlumberger for Tiffany & Co. masterworks, but Mahnaz Collection came to their rescue. Here, the dealer explains precisely why they’re such an extraordinary find.
5 Fresh Jewelry Trends That Will Bring You Joy This Spring
From cameos to cigar bands, here are the looks on our radar this season.
The ‘Curated Ear’ Trend Turns High End
The mismatched, multiple-earring look may have started with fashion jewelry, but A-list fans have taken it to the next level.
5 Types of Earrings to Wear Right Now
From buttons to chandeliers, here are the top styles to get or give in 2020.
Next-Level Pearls That Go Well Beyond the Expected
Organic shapes, surprising textures, shimmering colors and inventive embellishments take the new generation of pearl jewelry from classic to cutting-edge.
7 Vibrant Jewels for a Breezy Late-Summer Wardrobe
Soak up the pleasures of the season with a these bold gems.
Jewelry Designers Are Giving Hoop Earrings an Edgy Update
The classic circle has appeared in countless variations over the centuries.